Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming: verbal components for wizardly spells

Oregon, Wayreth Tower, or the Great Library of Palanthas

Posted six new spells today: Disguise Self, Dream, Ice Storm, Protection from Energy, Silent Image, and Truth Testing.

Edit/Addition: Corrected the 'silent image' spell. Fourty-five original spells so far, ten from the published novels. That there is a spellbook in itself! :rolleyes: :o
    Last edited by Laistryl Krebayne; 08-06-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    "Of course I don't see, you great idiot! I think, I use my brain!"

"So, you pity me, Caramon. You bumbling harebrained slob. You, who are incapable of comprehending the power I have attained, the pain that I have overcome, the victories that have been mine."

-Raistlin to Caramon, LotT

How about this one?
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

Very nice spell, KB! My font was messed up when I tried to view it, but by squinting I got it. Had to read it through three times, but I got it. I've never really grasped the manner of creating new spells per the sourcebooks. Determining spell level, range, area of effect, damage, and all that...it just never clicked in my mind as a whole. So I'm jealous...pppphhhtt!

"So, you pity me, Caramon. You bumbling harebrained slob. You, who are incapable of comprehending the power I have attained, the pain that I have overcome, the victories that have been mine."

Thank you! Spells and monsters are the trickiest things to get to work. You've got to do a whole lot of research to check for balance and to make sure you aren't essentially copying another spell (or monster). Classes are slightly easier. Prestige classes fall in between. Right now I'm working on a new class of feats called School Feats. These will expand the areas of specialization for wizards. My first one will be for those who wish to specialize in Force spells.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

It sounds like I've got it much easier, coming up with the verbal componets to the spells. Regarding the school specialization, wouldn't it be easier to adapt/rename the 'spell focus' feat listed in the PH to 'school focus', or do you have something more elaborate planned?

Much more elaborate. These feats will allow you to specialize in a new school of magic. For instance, when you specialize in illusion, you are an illusionist. You get 1 extra spell slot per level to hold one of your specialized (in example, illusion) spells. You also get certain other benefits from specialization regarding your chosen school. You will also get to add a few new spells to your list that you (and only you) can cast. In the case of the school of Force this includes spells such as Blade Barrier and Spiritual Weapon (which will always be a staff for wizards). The feat will have to be taken at first level though.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Quote Originally Posted by KenderBryant
    1) These feats will allow you to specialize in a new school of magic.

2) You will also get to add a few new spells to your list that you (and only you) can cast. In the case of the school of Force this includes spells such as Blade Barrier and Spiritual Weapon (which will always be a staff for wizards).

3) The feat will have to be taken at first level though.
    1) Do you mean speacialize in a second school? If you're using the (DL?) specialization rules for wizards, that's going to drop the allowable schools the wizard can cast from quite radically.

2) Add spells to the wizard's spellbook, or increasing the number of spells that can be cast per day?

3) As a 1st level wizard (apprentice), or the 1st level of the WoHS prestige class?

Sorry, I don't mean to be pushy with my questions, but you've got me curious, KB!

You know what they say? Curiosity killed the kender.

1) These feats will add to the list of schools to specialize in.

2) These 'new' spells will be added to the spellbook.

3) At 1st level. A non-experienced wizard. Bottom of the arcane food chain. (Sorry for the rhyme )

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Go ahead and feel free to include Blazing Heat in your list, Laistryl.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Cool, thanks! I'll start working it out tonight when I get home from work, KB!