Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Paperback

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    608

    Default Paperback

    Why does it take so long to sell the paperback versions of the hard cover books?
    Taking a look at Craig's list, the Hardcover version of Amber and Ashes was released in August and the paperback version will only come out somewhere in 2005.

    Is it just to make more money by selling the hardcover versions?

    I think it's a bit insulting to the readers to only be able to buy the 1st part of the dark disciple trilogy when the 2nd part comes out in hardcover. Heck, by the time we get the paperback books we have already had the story spoiled by those who have already read the hardcover and are now reading the second book.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    10,949

    Default

    The difference between the two is that there are certain amount of readers that prefer hardback editions and are willing enough to buy the book. The other mass-market paperback edition are set to those that may or may not be sure buyers of the book. So they are segmenting the market of buyers in order to sell the most quantity and also achieve their economies of scale.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

    Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

    -SZ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    608

    Default

    and so they insult the fans. there r people who can barely afford the paperback books, let alone the hardcover ones and most if not all people who decide to buy hardcover books instead of paperback's will still buy them. The time difference could just be of 1 month and their loss would be minimal and even non-existant. They dont have to wait half an year for it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    10,949

    Default

    It would be except for the fact that on the large scale of the market across the country it seems to be doing pretty well. Actually putting a one month time difference would result in losses as there are those who would be willing to pay the higher price, but have greater time wait could simply wait to buy the cheaper book coming out.
    Another things is the matter of how the production process when it comes to the paperback factories for the company. It is also entirely possible that another reason for the delay is that it is that production of other paperbacks are also in the production and scheduling out has already been set for the next few months. The spacing between production also allows for them to mantain operation of the factories in productions of the book.

    Note, without further understanding of how exactly the production process is done the following is surmise from other business model of publishing companies.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

    Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

    -SZ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relmatos
    Why does it take so long to sell the paperback versions of the hard cover books?
    Taking a look at Craig's list, the Hardcover version of Amber and Ashes was released in August and the paperback version will only come out somewhere in 2005.
    Standard practice is for a paperback to be released 10-12 months after hardcover.

    Is it just to make more money by selling the hardcover versions?
    Well, in part, yes. Hardcovers make more money, which means the authors get more money, which means that they actually have a chance to make a living at this and can keep writing.

    I think it's a bit insulting to the readers to only be able to buy the 1st part of the dark disciple trilogy when the 2nd part comes out in hardcover. Heck, by the time we get the paperback books we have already had the story spoiled by those who have already read the hardcover and are now reading the second book.
    Then use a library, or buy the hardcovers. Either way, quit whining about being insulted. I find it ridiculous that people complain like this when this has been the industry standard for 15-20 years now.
    Dragonlance Upcoming Products Listing
    My comprehensive list of upcoming releases of products relating to Dragonlance, as well as release lists from 2002 onward.

    Last updated: 10 Jul 2016

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Berkeley Ca
    Posts
    7,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvanthalas
    Then use a library, or buy the hardcovers. Either way, quit whining about being insulted. I find it ridiculous that people complain like this when this has been the industry standard for 15-20 years now.
    Its an old gripe. and people are only gong to think of their own wallets.

    I'd also like to mention, that among the book industry, a hardcover is considered more "legitimate." All sorts of Paperback pocketbooks are never considered for literary award considerations because they're considered too "low brow" to be taken seriously.

    For example, the Science Fiction Book Club had a policy of distributing hardcovers only. For the longest time, SFBC would never have Dragonlance Chronicles or Legends on their lists. That changed when Chronicles and Legends appeared as a hardback trilogy.

    Weldon Chen

  7. #7
    Darlaten Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen
    I'd also like to mention, that among the book industry, a hardcover is considered more "legitimate." All sorts of Paperback pocketbooks are never considered for literary award considerations because they're considered too "low brow" to be taken seriously.

    For example, the Science Fiction Book Club had a policy of distributing hardcovers only. For the longest time, SFBC would never have Dragonlance Chronicles or Legends on their lists. That changed when Chronicles and Legends appeared as a hardback trilogy.

    Weldon Chen
    That's an unfortunate reality of the industry one that, in all honesty, needs to get over itself. It's akin to the Academy of Awards (film) never allowing a fantasy movie to get best picture because fantasy was (is?) considered "low brow". Of course, LotR opened some eyes in that world. It's a pitty that eyes haven't been opened in the book world as well.

    Making a judgement of a book solely by the basis of it being published "hard cover" or "soft cover" is simply juvenile and down-right insulting to the rest of us as readers.

    --Darlaten

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvanthalas
    Standard practice is for a paperback to be released 10-12 months after hardcover.



    Well, in part, yes. Hardcovers make more money, which means the authors get more money, which means that they actually have a chance to make a living at this and can keep writing.



    Then use a library, or buy the hardcovers. Either way, quit whining about being insulted. I find it ridiculous that people complain like this when this has been the industry standard for 15-20 years now.

    so just because it has been going on for 15-20 years it's ok to keep on doing it?
    Why did we stop slavery now? why did we give rights to workers? why did we let women vote?
    just because something has always happened, it doesnt mean that it's the right thing to do and in my opinion the time between hardcover and paperback should be 3 months max.
    And Ive never seen a dragonlance book in a portuguese library. Even in a book shop it's very difficult to find one. And I don't have problems with buying a hardcover version. I just have problems with taking it somewhere and with finding a place to put it once Im done reading it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dominion of Ergoth, World Empire of Istar.
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relmatos
    so just because it has been going on for 15-20 years it's ok to keep on doing it?
    Why did we stop slavery now? why did we give rights to workers? why did we let women vote?
    just because something has always happened, it doesnt mean that it's the right thing to do and in my opinion the time between hardcover and paperback should be 3 months max.
    And Ive never seen a dragonlance book in a portuguese library. Even in a book shop it's very difficult to find one. And I don't have problems with buying a hardcover version. I just have problems with taking it somewhere and with finding a place to put it once Im done reading it.
    Um. You're equating the hardcover/softcover issue with Slavery, Workers' Rights, and Female Suffrage?!? Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

    [T]here r people who can barely afford the paperback books, let alone the hardcover ones ...
    Barely afford paperbacks? Granted I'm not up on my U.S. dollar versus whatever currency Portugal uses ... but come on. Paperback books are $7 U.S. That is not alot of money by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I know people living in third world countries that can easily afford that, and Portugal wasn't a third-world country the last time I checked.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

    -Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by relmatos
    so just because it has been going on for 15-20 years it's ok to keep on doing it?
    Why did we stop slavery now? why did we give rights to workers? why did we let women vote?
    just because something has always happened, it doesnt mean that it's the right thing to do and in my opinion the time between hardcover and paperback should be 3 months max.
    And Ive never seen a dragonlance book in a portuguese library. Even in a book shop it's very difficult to find one. And I don't have problems with buying a hardcover version. I just have problems with taking it somewhere and with finding a place to put it once Im done reading it.
    if a paperback came out just 3 monthes after the hardback, people wouldnt buy the hard back. then they would have to raise the price on the softback to make up for the money they lost on the hardback. sure maybe a year is a little long, but 3 monthes is way to short.

    but your only problem is where to put it after you read it. if you dont have a book shelf put it in a box. you say you have saftbacks so you must have some place. a hard back isnt that much bigger. 2 inches taller and 2 inches wider. if worse come to worse lay it on its side.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •