Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord Soth as a magic user

Default Lord Soth as a magic user

I'm not a 100% sure if this question has been asked already (because doing a search on "Soth" yeilds about the same results as searching out the word "The")... if it has been asked, if you can just point me in the right direction, that'd be great...

I just have a few questions about Lord Soth as a magic user.

1. How exactly does Soth, call upon his magic? Nuitari?
    2. Is the magic something that was just bestowed upon him once he became a death knight?
    3. Does he have to re-commit the spells to memory, after each use, like any other DL mage?
    4. Would he be considered a renegade mage since he never took the tests?
    5. What level magic user would he be considered?
    6. Is there a listing of all the spells available to him?

Time of the Twins (pg. 78 & 79) -

....."Your magic is strong," Raistin commented. A soft wind stirred the branches of the oak trees, caressed the black folds of the mage's robes.
    ....."Yes," said Lord Soth quietly. "I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence."
    .....Raistlin nodded, the folds of his hood moving gently.
    .....Lord Soth stared at the mage without speaking. Walking close to Raistlin, he stopped only inches from the mage's frail body. Kitira's breath came fast.
    .....Then with a courtly gesture, the cursed Knight of Solamnia placed his hand over that portion of his anatomy that had once contained his hear.
    ....."But I bow in the presence of a master," Lord Soth said.

Now according to AD&D 2nd edition rules, which is probably the rule-set that was used when this series was written (loosely, but definitely nothing higher), when he says that he can kill with a single word, I'm assuming he's talking about the spell Power Word Kill, which is a 9th level spell. In order to cast that spell you have to be, at minimum, an 18th level wizard... Which is fine and everything... but if so, is he a dual class NPC being a 18th level Warrior / 18th level Wizard?

If you were doing some "Old School DM-ing", how would you campaign him as an NPC?
    Last edited by Rorschach; 03-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Those are actually powers granted to a death knight. The "fireball" is now called an abyssal blast, and they lost the ability to kill with a single word. The death knight was brought to 3.0 in Monster Manual II. Nowadays, though, it's a template. Death Knights are included in the 2.0 monster manual.
    Last edited by KenderBryant; 03-09-2006 at 12:50 PM. Reason: More info.
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

Pretty much it came to the effect that as a Death Knight it granted him certain amount of magical abilities to call forth.

While earlier versions of the Death Knight did not have all of the abilities now associated, in World of Krynn they gave Soth a magical rod in order to case the classic fire-ball attack of the Death Knight, most of that has now been folded into the respective Death Knight form.

Pretty much his magical power is spell-like abilities that depending on which he can use a certain number of times a day.

The DLCS illustrates what is consider the classic Death Knight template buildup. MM2, which is 3.0 featured a more tone down version of the Death Knight template.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Quote Originally Posted by Sephzero
    Pretty much it came to the effect that as a Death Knight it granted him certain amount of magical abilities to call forth.

While earlier versions of the Death Knight did not have all of the abilities now associated, in World of Krynn they gave Soth a magical rod in order to case the classic fire-ball attack of the Death Knight, most of that has now been folded into the respective Death Knight form.

Pretty much his magical power is spell-like abilities that depending on which he can use a certain number of times a day.

The DLCS illustrates what is consider the classic Death Knight template buildup. MM2, which is 3.0 featured a more tone down version of the Death Knight template.
    I was just updating my post when you posted. Oh well.
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

Does anyone have the Ravenloft "Domains of Dread" book? I was thinking he had wizard (necromancer) levels in that...but I may be thinking of Strahd though.
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

*Pulls out the book*

Nope, still a pure Death Knight though it does note the shadow-walk power that Soth shows at time. You're probably think Strahd there.

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

That must be it. Man, that was a really good campaign setting book!
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

That it was and I like the profile picture for Soth as well.

-SZ

Knight of the WhiteRose Guest

Power Word Kill REMOVED!!!!!??????

now why would you go and take the sweet outa soda, you know what that would taste like, Yuuk,

i gotta find a way to get PwK back death knights should also use some emotion powers like despair and hopelessness,

The DLCS, Death Knight of Krynn template still provides the Power Words including Kill for those Death Knights of a high enough HD like Soth.

-SZ