Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everchanging Rules and new releases...

Default Everchanging Rules and new releases...

Ok, I wanted to get some feed back from some fellow DM's on this one. With all the new release for Dragonlance constantly coming out and some things changing kind of rapidly, (IE; Rules, plot points, story lines and other stuff) how do you all keep up and work everything into your campaigns??

I know that sounds kinda silly, but the last thing I want is a player pointing out half way through a campaign I screwed up continuity, or applied certain details that wernt there before.....

??????

Thanx
    Gabe
    Last edited by Gabriel Cross; 12-23-2005 at 02:07 AM.
    Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
    Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Come on By the Guardians Citadel
    http://thecitadel.hostoi.com/
    But be careful its not a place for the sane or weakminded!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaberial Cross
    I know that sounds kinda silly, but the last thing I want is a player pointing oput half way through a campaign I screwed up continuity, or applied certain details that wernt there before.....
    First invest in a good Rules Assassin. Have him on "retainer" and when the Rules Lawyer shows his ugly head, order the hit.
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

[laughs histerically] I LIKE THAT ANSWER, but I cant kill my players, (just their chars)
    Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
    Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Come on By the Guardians Citadel
    http://thecitadel.hostoi.com/
    But be careful its not a place for the sane or weakminded!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaberial Cross
    Ok, I wanted to get some feed back from some fellow DM's on this one. With all the new release for Dragonlance constantly coming out and some things changing kind of rapidly, (IE; Rules, plot points, story lines and other stuff) how do you all keep up and work everything into your campaigns??

I know that sounds kinda silly, but the last thing I want is a player pointing out half way through a campaign I screwed up continuity, or applied certain details that wernt there before.....

??????

Thanx
    Gabe
    I take it one step at a time. I see what I can use in my campaigns and implement the usable stuff whenever a new novel/sourcebook comes out. Given the (relatively) slow flow of novels and sourcebooks it's not that stressful really. After all it only takes a couple of days of tinkering (for me anyways) to implement a sourcebook in my campaigns.

Fortunately I'm blessed with a bunch of players who respect that it's my campaign and that even if there's an issue with consistency they are confident that there's a reason why I've chosen something that might not be canon or which has been made obsolete by a newer source.

Ravenmantle
    Heine Kim Stick

My Rule #1, and it has served me well, is at the beginning of a campaign, pick a time frame and stick with it. If things change with newly released novels and it interferes with your campaign, it didn't happen. If you can encorporate it, great, but if it's a pain, the campaign comes first.

As for rule books, I've rarely found a problem bringing in new sourcebooks. It's not often that one rule book contradicts another (more than that can be said for the novels), so it really doesn't tend to be a big deal. Usually rulebooks expand the world rather than restrict it.

Default I keep "world shattering" events to a minimum.

Krynn is a big planet, and the heroes in the books are just a part of what's going on in the world.
    I look at my players as the "unsung" heroes,...... doing their part to fight evil, but I don't have them crushing empires, defeating god's, or discovering the secrets of the beloved of chemosh....
    at least not until the information is released to do so.... :rolleyes:

WildKnight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nighttree
    Krynn is a big planet, and the heroes in the books are just a part of what's going on in the world.
    I look at my players as the "unsung" heroes,...... doing their part to fight evil, but I don't have them crushing empires, defeating god's, or discovering the secrets of the beloved of chemosh....
    at least not until the information is released to do so.... :rolleyes:
    *Typically* my approach is very similar to what Nighttree talks about. Its actually alot easier than you might think to avoid areas that are currently... "under explained" unless your players are dead-set on using out of character knowledge to encounter those things.

However... that being said... it is occasionally fun to just chuck the books and let your players be the heroes.

As an example, I once ran a Campaign that was a very typical War of the Lance/Legends Era Campaign... except that at the very end, I had Takhisis make her return (I altered the continuity here, so that Raistlins "sacrifice" failed to keep her in). She immediately set about conquering Krynn, using her god-on-earth powers to smash all opposition. The PCs became the heroes, eventually defeating Takhisis in a manner very similar to the end of Legend of Huma. To this day, that remains part of the continuity of my Dragonlance Campaigns.

My way of dealing with the worst of rule lawyers. This isn't often, but there are times when it has gotten ugly. Warnings are given, but sometimes after a session or two, the lawyer will fall back into old practices.

- - - - - - - -

Lawyer: "But if you cross-check page 232 of the High Sorcery book with page 123 of the online errata of the Complete Guide to Overpowered Characters, you'll see that-"

DM: "At which point a large rock inexplicably falls on your head killing your character."

Lawyer: "Very funny."

Good Player: "Can I loot his body?"

Lawyer: "No. He's alive."

DM: "Not if you act like that he isn't. Now are you going to put the books down and play? Or shall you be rolling up a new character?"

Lawyer backs down. (And usually mutters something off-color which results in an XP penalty imposed on him turning the next time rewards are given out. But still, at least, the game continues and people start to have fun again.)

- - - - - - - -

I thank Paladine for his handling of the Kingpriest for teaching me how to handle this.

Beldyn's Prayer:
    "You see Paladine. I'm your biggest supporter, and seeing that you fight for good, you have to back me on this and give me what I need to destroy evil, because in chapter 4, page 138, of the Book of Righteous Deeds it says, and I quote right here-"

*THWAP*

Thus begins the 4th Age.

- - - - - - - - -
    Last edited by Carteeg_Struve; 12-26-2005 at 07:28 AM.
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Chef Nightly" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

Quote Originally Posted by Carteeg_Struve
    My way of dealing with the worst of rule lawyers. This isn't often, but there are times when it has gotten ugly. Warnings are given, but sometimes after a session or two, the lawyer will fall back into old practices.

- - - - - - - -

Lawyer: "But if you cross-check page 232 of the High Sorcery book with page 123 of the online errata of the Complete Guild to Overpowered Characters, you'll see that-"

DM: "At which point a large rock inexplicably falls on your head killing your character."

Lawyer: "Very funny."

Good Player: "Can I loot his body?"

Lawyer: "No. He's alive."

DM: "Not if you act like that he isn't. Now are you going to put the books down and play? Or shall you be rolling up a new character?"

Lawyer backs down. (And usually mutters something off-color which results in an XP penalty imposed on him turning the next time rewards are given out. But still, at least, the game continues and people start to have fun again.)

- - - - - - - -

I thank Paladine for his handling of the Kingpriest for teaching me how to handle this.

Beldyn's Prayer:
    "You see Paladine. I'm your biggest supporter, and seeing that you fight for good, you have to back me on this and give me what I need to destroy evil, because in chapter 4, page 138, of the Book of Righteous Deeds it says, and I quote right here-"

*THWAP*

Thus begins the 4th Age.

- - - - - - - - -

That is the smartest thing I have ever heard anybody say about anything.

WildKnight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carteeg_Struve

Beldyn's Prayer:

*THWAP*

Thus begins the 4th Age.

- - - - - - - - -

LOLOLOLOLOL!

Thanks for the laugh!