Thread: The Spellfilch

Nived Guest

Default The Spellfilch

A player in my campagin, who has played his character as Rogue up to 6th level has expressed interest in becoming a spellcaster. This sorta worked out because he was thinking Wizard and they happened to face an aged Thorn Knight that awhile back wgi was a Wiz base, after defeating him the rogue took the spellbook and had been studying it for something to do.

Now he's a Rogue 6/Wizard 1, he asked me if there were any sneaky sneaky magic user PrCs and I immediately handed him The Age of Mortals book and directed him to the Spellfilch. He is absolutly in love with the concept. I have also explained to him that once he casts above 3rd level of spells he'll be considered a Renegade by the Wizards of High Sorcery, and he understands and is alright with it, "Hey I might even join, but they'd have to catch me first." Very fitting for the character.

My problem is this. I sat down to really read the PrC again because I hadn't in awhile and I forgot a little something. Each of the Spellwise abilities... admitedly the coolest part of the class... can only be used once a day.

Now I would think that the ability would be self regulating since it spends spellslots (already a limited resource) and with the delay in caster levels the Spellfilch wont have an abundance of those in the first place. However since I haven't used the PrC in my campaigns yet I do not know if allowing the Spellwise ability to be limited by spellslots alone to be overpowering.

I was wondering if anyone has used the PrC and how the once per day thing works out, or whether it works better with it being limited by spell slot? I would think with the low caster levels and the lack of rogue skills and sneak attack that the Spellwise being limited by spell slots is the way to go, or is that too unbalancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nived
    I was wondering if anyone has used the PrC and how the once per day thing works out, or whether it works better with it being limited by spell slot? I would think with the low caster levels and the lack of rogue skills and sneak attack that the Spellwise being limited by spell slots is the way to go, or is that too unbalancing?
    You raise an interesting point about the self-limiting factor of spell slots as the fuel for these abilities. Looking back at it now, I may in fact have ditched the 1/day limitation of Spellwise, although it occurs to me that I was concerned mainly with the idea of them using those abilities as sorcerers (who would certainly benefit more from this class than wizards). The spellfilch is almost tailor-made for a rogue/sorcerer, really.

It wouldn't be a bad compromise to limit use to once per day per spellfilch level, much as bardic music is limited. That would still put a cap on how often you could do it, but it wouldn't make it so attractive to one kind of arcane spellcaster over another.

Cheers,
    Cam