Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorites

Arrow Favorites

This one of two stickied Favorites threads we are going to have here to solve the problem of the ever increasing number of Favorites threads that has glutting the boards lately. This one here in the Novels will cover topics like favorite and least favorite character, Favorite trilogy, novel and short story. Now when you reply, please include the reason why said thing is your Favorite or Least Favorite. For example -

Favorite Novel - Legend of Huma By Richard Knaak

I love this book because for me it encompasses what Dragonlance is all about, the epic struggle between good and evil, life and death, knights and dragons, love and betrayal, arrogance and humility, honor and treachery. It is an epic story, yet is grounded and easy to empathize with.

Favorite Character - Huma and Gwennyth (Of course!)

To me Huma is more than what every Knight of Solamnia should be, he is what every person male or female should aspire to be - honest, sincere, caring, helpful, determined, humble etc. As for Gwennyth, it is my belief that without her, there would be no Huma. They are the two halves of the one whole, one simply can't exist without the other.

Favorite Short Story - Heart of Goldmoon (Love and War) by Tracy and Laura Hickman

The story of how Goldmoon and Riverwind fell in love, I have always loved these when they are done right and they are done brilliantly within this story, the best ever. Riverwinds strength of faith and quiet pride, Goldmoon's indignant outrage, hee hee!

Favorite Trilogy - Elven Nations

This one was really hard for me and might be soon topped by the Taladas trilogy when it is finally all released. The Kingpriest trilogy is a close second place, too.

I love elves. Simple as that. The story between the two brothers Sithas and Kith Kanan is the epic struggle of Cain and Abel. At times they seem to be so similar to each other, but then at other times polar opposites, much like Caramon and Raistlin I guess. The fiendishness of Kith's son Ulvian, his downright betrayal of all elven values. I also loved Anaya and her tree born son Silveran Greenhands. Just too cool.

Favorite Duology(???) - The Kagonesti and The Dragons by Douglas Niles

The intertwining books fantastically deliver on the history of these two races. From the great Kagonos himself discovering the the grandfather Ram and defeating pompous Quithas Griffontamer to surviving the slaughters ordered by the Kingpriest and the following Cataclysm. And in The Dragons the early days of the first dragons and their and development, their fight against their evil brethren.

Least Favorite Short Story - Any of Michael Williams poetry

Sorry to Mr williams, :o I really like Weasels Luck and Galen Beknighted, but I just can't seem to understand his poetry and trying to understsand it usually gives me a really, really bad headache.

Least Favorite Character - Sir Jamis Uth Remmick

Well I find Raistlin - Blah and for a while I wanted pluck out Mina's amber eyes and squeeze the jelly from them and serve it up on toast to her, (movie reference there ) but she isn't really too bad especially after Ashes and Amber. Sir Jamis Uth Remmick from the Linsha Trilogy gets my vote but, then he was written to be despised, his pathetic hounding of Linsha just was so aggravating, not to meantion he had all the military smarts of a cumquat.
    Only one thing worse than a dragon, Americans - Creedy, Reign of Fire
    Founder of the Raistlin Stole Fistandantilus' Glory Association
    Founding member of the Pro-Nancy Varian Berberick Association
    Change is neither good nor evil, it just is. Inevitable.
    I'm a bad boy - Lou Costello
    Dragonhelm is a thief, he stole my title

Master of the Tower of HIgh Sorcery of Long Beach

Favorite Novel - Aye Carumba.........after much soul searching, I would have to go with DRAGONS OF WINTER MIDNIGHT. The passion and the darkness and light and sacrifice of this book is perhaps so magnificent I cannot give words to it. IT inspired me on so many levels. Even though I read AUTUMN TWILIGHT first, and loved it, this one was even better, it was like THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was to A NEW HOPE....a sequel even better then the original.

Honorable mentions go to the KINGPRIEST TRILOGY, the rest of the LEGENDS AND CHRONICLES trilogies, LEGEND OF HUMA and the ELVEN NATIONS TRILOGY. And I would even consider KNIGHT OF THE BLACK ROSE to be as Much dragonlance as it was RavenLoft

Favorite Character - Raistlin. I identified with him a lot, related to him thru most of the original trilogy, right up to the point where he abandoned everyone in the Blood Sea of Istar, and then I found myself going back and forth between cheering and scorning him as LEGENDS progressed. And he was the inspiration for a Marvel Super Hero RPG character that was based on him and myself that I spent yhears playing and having fun with.

Favorite Short Story - The story of Rennard seeking redemption after the cataclysm as it fit a lot of questions I had. I would have to go with the story that detailed Laurana, Flint, Sturm, Tas, Elistan, Derek, and the other two knights adventure down to Icewall Castle to retrieve that DragonOrb. The story where Tasslehoff told the tale of the Teleporting Ring was pretty good and funny; as well as Rennards

Favorite Trilogy - Wow..........maybe after I read the KINGPRIEST trilogy again, but for now I would still have to go with the CHRONICLES as my favorite, with honorable mentions going to the ELven Nations and LEGENDS trilogy.

Favorite Duology(???) - If this means two books, then I would go with LEGEND OF HUMA and KAZ THE MINOTAUR, although I like KAZ the MINOTAUR was a lot less good then Huma was.

Least Favorite Short Story - I would have to go with the SECOND GENERATION, it was the beginning of the end for me in killing DragonLance for a while.

Least Favorite Character- steel brightblade I thought was a stupid idea, an honorable and noble servent of evil was a stupid idea and went against so much of what is not right in DragonLance, but in our own world as well.

SignLangBoy Guest

Default Favorites

Okay I am going to come out of Lurker mode to join in this. I have read many of the novels and wow did some of these answers take some thinking. Let's get a move on:

Favorite novel: Without a doubt, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I believe it was done the best when the world of Krynn was still new and exciting. The opportunities were endless yet still even though it was a brand new book with brand new characters, you felt like you knew them and their world. That made me easy for me to jump onto the "Dragonlance bandwagon."

Favorite Character: Goldmoon. There is no question about this. She was the one whose love and courage helped bring Man back to the world of the gods. She did so losing her family and tribe! She still managed to maintain her faith throughout all of her questioning; something I am not sure I could do. I did hate though that the "evil" characters took center stage since it seems that it's too hard to write for the goody goody characters. She and Riverwind took a VERY back seat to Raistlin and Laurana in the latter books.

Favorite Stort Shory: I don't know the name but the one with Laurana defeating the White Dragonlord in the IceWall.

Favorite Trilogy: Chronicles. Enough said enough on that matter.

Least Favorite Short Story: I admit too that I always skip the poetry. I don't enjoy poetry in the "real world" much either so don't take my criticism too seriously on that one!

Least Favorite Character: Raistlin. You can't commit to serve an evil mistress, try to take over the world, attempt to do everything to kill people you are supposedly friends with or dupe an innocent albeit snobby woman into working with you and get my sympathy at all. I know he has had some shining moments of helping but they always seem to work out best for him as well. We would not and do not feel so warmly about Saddam Hussien or Jeffery Dahmer even though THEY did nice things. I don't get why people clamor for the evilness. I'd love to see more of the "good" characters take center stage for once. Although I admit I DO like the Dark Disciple series, the one thing that takes away from it is that the one "good" guy had to leave his god, Majere, for an evil goddess. WHAT? Why can't they use Majere, a god we know almost nothing about nor his monks. SHOW ME THE GOOD PEOPLE IN KRYNN!

David in Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by SignLangBoy
    Okay I am going to come out of Lurker mode to join in this. I have read many of the novels and wow did some of these answers take some thinking. Let's get a move on:

Favorite novel: Without a doubt, Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I believe it was done the best when the world of Krynn was still new and exciting. The opportunities were endless yet still even though it was a brand new book with brand new characters, you felt like you knew them and their world. That made me easy for me to jump onto the "Dragonlance bandwagon."

Favorite Character: Goldmoon. There is no question about this. She was the one whose love and courage helped bring Man back to the world of the gods. She did so losing her family and tribe! She still managed to maintain her faith throughout all of her questioning; something I am not sure I could do. I did hate though that the "evil" characters took center stage since it seems that it's too hard to write for the goody goody characters. She and Riverwind took a VERY back seat to Raistlin and Laurana in the latter books.

Favorite Stort Shory: I don't know the name but the one with Laurana defeating the White Dragonlord in the IceWall.

Favorite Trilogy: Chronicles. Enough said enough on that matter.

Least Favorite Short Story: I admit too that I always skip the poetry. I don't enjoy poetry in the "real world" much either so don't take my criticism too seriously on that one!

Least Favorite Character: Raistlin. You can't commit to serve an evil mistress, try to take over the world, attempt to do everything to kill people you are supposedly friends with or dupe an innocent albeit snobby woman into working with you and get my sympathy at all. I know he has had some shining moments of helping but they always seem to work out best for him as well. We would not and do not feel so warmly about Saddam Hussien or Jeffery Dahmer even though THEY did nice things. I don't get why people clamor for the evilness. I'd love to see more of the "good" characters take center stage for once. Although I admit I DO like the Dark Disciple series, the one thing that takes away from it is that the one "good" guy had to leave his god, Majere, for an evil goddess. WHAT? Why can't they use Majere, a god we know almost nothing about nor his monks. SHOW ME THE GOOD PEOPLE IN KRYNN!

David in Iowa
    Though I understand ur viewpoint, I think u are trying to see things too black and white. No one is 100% pure goodness. In DL they accentuate this for example by having the majere monk follow Zemboim. Sometimes good ppl have to do bad things to make the world a better place. In the same way, no one is purly evil, insert Raistlin. Also ,why some ppl care about Raistlin so much is, because he is in a way evil the way we probably wish we could be (if it didnt have all the penalty's in our society :rolleyes: ) I think lots of ppl have dreamed about being "bad" on occasion. Not having to take into account anyone or anything, but just doing things your own way in disregard of others. Now, I dont mean to imply all of us wanting to be a Saddam Hussein, or Stalin or anything that extreme. Just that life would be a lot more fun without all the rules and limitations placed on us sometimes. We are human afterall, and we have a "dark side" in us as well, so to speak. It's in our nature, there is no point in denying it, we are not inherently good, just if we only let our dark desires go in our fantasies (and that also includes fantasy books such as DL and characters such as Raistlin) we can enjoy it without actually causing harm.

(Also on a sidenote: Raistlin helped the companions beat Takhasis in Chronicles, if it wast for him the world would probably have been lost to the dark queen, he also gave himself up to eternal suffering to safe Caramon and Chrysania and again the world in Legends, he showed Palin how much power can corrupt when Palin got the staff, Bupu, etc...I think eventhough he was more evil in a way then most bad guys ive ever read about or seen, he also had more good in him aswell buried deep down, his downfall was "lust"....lust for power, its what surpressed his good side and fed his of his dark side. Then again, who doesnt lust after one thing or the other. I know I do!)

* This is my view of things and because of lack of understanding of the English language perhaps poorly phrased, but I hope ppl understand, if perhaps though dont agree with what I said here.

Back on topic:

Favorite novel: Difficult to say, since most books are part of a trilogy or some sort. I think I would love the Huma book, but because it's not in hardcover, I keep postponing to read it. I think for the moment it will have to be Amber & Ashes, mostly because it had a good premise and I cant wait to see where Margaret will take te story...(will she include the elves, Minotaurs, Ogres, will other Gods join the fray, will Nuitari become a mayor player...intrigue!)

Favorite Character: Where to begin, I have a soft spot for Sturm, eventhough I couldnt stand him till he died :rolleyes: . Also Tass and Flint I think are te real champions here. Special nominatino for Soth, he's just a badass!

Favorite Stort Shory: Wanna bet was cool! And I'm wondering, what was the name of the book about Laurana defeating the White Dragonlord in the IceWall, sounds interesting...

Favorite Trilogy: Minotaur wars

Favorite Duology(???): Kang's Regiment books, with Raistlin Chronicles a good second.

Least Favorite Short Story: Dunno, not a fan of poetry really...but I find, coming across poems in (fantasy) books, just gives it something extra...its also an excellent way to describe for example a history of a tribe, or a major event in a short but powerfull way, so I will have to disagree with most of you there. I however find that I'm not a fan of short stories at all. I prefer the major epic happenings...then again, maybe I havent read the right short stories yet, suggestions are welcome!!

Least Favorite Character: Don't really know, maybe it will come to me. I just think mostly, the ppl I didnt like, were ment to be disliked so that made them good characters...does that make sense....?
    Last edited by Draigh; 09-20-2005 at 05:01 AM.
    As well try to understand the sun. It simply is, and it is not to be understood. You cannot live without it, but it exacts a price. So it is with women.

Favorite Novel - Legends Annotated

I love this book because it collects my three favorite Dragonlance novels. Reading Legends the first time way back when is a memory I will try to never lose.

Favorite Character - Brek and Soldier. Bundesphar and Wulfbunde

Brek and Soldier. Human and Wolf. Man and Beast. Hunter's both. This duo represent some of my most loved Themes in fictional characters.

Favorite Short Story - Coin of Adamant

The story of Brek and Soldier. As story of the cost and payment loyalty. Also about faith in oneself and friend.

Favorite Trilogy - Legends

Read above.

Favorite Duology-The Bundesphar short stories.

The Bundesphar and their wulfbunde are very interesting characters for Dragonlance. The backstory Kevin Stein has created for them is very cool. I look forward to more of their stories.

Least Favorite Short Story - Hmm, I'll come back to this.

Least Favorite Character - The Kingpriest Beldinas

God I could not stand his ignorance and arrogance. Too bad Cathan did not shove Ebonbane up his non-Istarian arse!
    BŁndesphar | Mage-Slayer | Assassin for Hire | Spellslinger | Unaligned | Medium humanoid

"He Who Chases Death."

Whew! I hope this Character favorite thing is over, I just don't see the resean why for this. I think we can just avoid the favorite threads if we want. We don't have to make an issue, anyways.

Favorite Novel:

Soulforge, yes I know I'm gonna get some heat from all you raistlen haters out there, but I can't denie that I loved this book, I'm on my forth time reading it.

Favorite Character:

Hmm.....Ranging from Ragh, the Draconian from the Dhamon saga, or....hmm Kazz from Legend of Huma, I basicly love those err stinken', slimey, brutal things.

Favorite Short Story:

Defiently Osuins Treasure, it is written so well, its a blend between action, mysterie, and horror. I love it.

Favorite Trilogy:

Hmm..... Probaly the Legends Series. I loved it! Time travel, times of unknown being revealed before my eyes, I can't ask for anything better,

Favorite Duology:

Defiently Soulforge, I just love the fantastic life of raist. Don't get me confused with a raist fan, I just think the books were done well.

Least Favorite Short Story:

Geez....this ones hard, Let me come back to this!

Least Favorite Character:

Hmm.........I would have to go with Huma, I hated the book, and I hated him. No reseans, just my opinion!
    Last edited by Lybreth; 09-21-2005 at 10:54 PM.
    "We have been enslaved, but have always thrown off our shackles. We have been driven back, but have always returned to the fray stronger then before. We have risen to new heights when all other races have fallen into decay! We are the future of Krynn!"
    -`~LyBreth~'-

MarinePaladin Guest

The first of these you'll see a pattern :p

Favorite Character - Lord Soth

Favorite Novel - Knight of the Black Rose

Favorite Short Story - True Knight

Favorite Trilogy - Chronicles

Least favorite Character - I dunno, tough one, I could less about gully dwarves, I guess Bupu was "alright".

ArelasMiral Guest

Default Faves

Favorite Novel: Dragons of a Summer Flame

Favorite Character: Marshal Medan I have a lot in common with him

Favorite Short Story: Kitiara's Son I think Steel is the man

Favorite Trilogy: Elven Nations Kith-Kanan has such a cool and yet horrible life

Least Favorite Trilogy: Dwarven Nations They were good but their stories didn't have much to do with each other

Least Favorite Novel: The Kagonesti I liked it but it is still at the bottom of my list

Least Favorite Character: Hermathya You just don't do that to a guy you know

Least Favorite Short Story: Wanna Bet? Sorry but this adventure is extremely wierd

Favorite posts: short
    Reason: Longish posts esp. on such divers subjects make discussion veeery difficult.
    Unless you don't want to discuss, just starkly state preferances.
    Having said that... :o

Favorite Novel:
    Dragons of a Fallen Sun. Well-written, excellent plot.
    Oh, it was part of a trilogy. *shrug*

Favorite Character(s):
    female: Mina - male: Lord Soth. There's something attractive about characters who lost their way but somehow still manage to be great. ( I understand that "great" is debatable in these two cases, but this doubt makes the characters even more appealing to me.)

Favorite Short Story:
    "True Knight". Great story set in the times of the First Cataclysm, includes Lord Soth in one of his best appearances, a tour in well-known places, and the great-grandparents of a certain well- known person (but we don't learn that until the end!)

Favorite Trilogy:
    The Chronicles (cliche, but never mind that - all time fav classic)

Least Favorite Trilogy-(secondary)characters:
    Dragons of a New Age. It bore me to death, simple as that.
    Poor Dhamon had potential though.

Least Favorite Novel:
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Darcwulf about Michael Williams.

Character I would gladly bash on head, though in a well-written trilogy:
    Faros. What a stubborn guy. *sigh*
    The Larch.

Well i might as well get this done and over with.
    Favorite Novel: hmm...so many of them..gunna have to go with Dragons of Summer Flame
    This book was the awesomest i thought. Although what happens to Tanis...that just sucks. But how they start off the Chaos War and how Dougan comes back from Second Generation.

Favorite Trilogy: Either Chronicles or Legends
    Chronicles just rock since it's the begginning of the whole thing. Legends are so sweet cuz i love Raistlin Tas and Caramon.

Favorite Character: male:Tanis female: Tika
    Tanis is the bestest Character of all time! it could be becuase i resemble him a lot (not in looks i'm not a guy) but how everything gets thrown at us and such. And then Tika cuz she's just so cute and such a kind-hearted person and seems to be perfect...just like Laurana too....

Favorite short story: Raistlins Daughter or Kitiara's Son
    I loved it how in Raistlin's Daughter it has it that Raist is the one that gets the pretty girl instead of Caramon. And everything in it is just good. and then how can someone not like Steel?...and the story behind him...

Least Favorite Character: hmm...dunno acutally...maybe Riverwind...? I dunno i mean i liked him..but i never really connected with him so i guess that's why i dont' like him much...maybe i just need to read more up on him to like him better..? Ya that's what i'll do!

Least Favorite Novel: uhh...well there are none! They all rock!

Least Favorite Short Story: Definitions of Honor...i just for some reason couldn't bring myself to read the whole thing...

Least Favorite Trilogy: hmm...i guess WoS...i mean i really liked them but...i've only read 3 trilogies and if the other 2 are my favorite...
    "It is best to look ahead, not behind. What's done is done. You cannot change it."
    Steel Brightblade

"A chicken with it's neck wrung is different than a chicken with it's head chopped off. But does it matter to the chicken?"-Tasslehoff