Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectre of Sorrows Errata

Default Spectre of Sorrows Errata

COMMENTS
    Pg.4, “Adventure Synopsis,” par.1, sent.6 – “Tear” is the wrong size and should be italicized.

Pg.6, “Character Hooks,” par.4, sent.1 – “DragonLord” should not have a capitalized “L” in it.

Pg.8, “Phases of the Moon” – To retrofit with the other six chapters, the moon phases for the 14th day of Rannmont should be:
    Solinari: 2nd day of Low Sanction , Waning Crescent
    Lunitari: 3rd day of High Sanction, Full
    Nuitari: 2nd day of Waning, Waning Crescent

Pg.25, “DH10: Necromantic Laboratory,” sent.2 – “Tear of Mishakal” should be italicized.

Pg.29, “The Town of Flotsam,” “Authority Figures” – It says here that Lord Toede has “4” levels of fighter, but Appendix Two says he has “6” levels of fighter.

Pg.29, “The Town of Flotsam,” “Important Characters” – It says here that the Chamberlain has 5 levels of “bard,” but Appendix Two says he has 5 levels of “master.”

Pg.29, “Features of Flotsam,” par.2, sent.2 – The town horseshoes around “Flotsam Harbor” not the “Blood Bay.”

Pg.31, “Entering the Maze,” par.5, sent.3 – According to this new map, there are only two paths out of each area, “Pass” and “Fail.” Since there is only failure and success, what happens heroes “succeed by 10 or more” and does this change what really happens according to the map for “Pass” and “Fail?”

Pg.34, “The Docks,” “The Lucky Maiden” – It says here that Captain Vanyth Swift is a “mariner 7/duelist 3,” but according to Appendix Two he is a “mariner 8/duelist 2.”

Pg.50, “Rockhorde,” “Important Characters” – This whole section should not be italicized.

Pg.55, “Ogrebond” – The city stat block for Ogrebond should not be completely italicized.

Pg.55, “Ogrebond,” “Important Characters” – It calls Logrid Sonnek the “slavers union boss;” this should be plural possessive and proper: “Slavers’ Union boss.”

Pg.59, “OB7: Slave Quarter,” par.2, sent.1 – Change “slaver’s union” to “Slavers’ Union” (it should be plural possessive and proper).

Pg.59, “OB7: Slave Quarter,” par.4 – Change “Slave Union Boss” to “Slavers’ Union Boss.”

Pg.60, “Arriving by Sea” sidebar, par.1, sent.3 – “The Lucky Maiden” should be italicized not bolded.

Pg.70, “Surf” – The city stat block for Surf should not be completely italicized.

Pg.76, “BC8: Magical Wards” – Both “Glyph of warding” references need to be completely italicized instead of just the ends of the last word.

Pg.81, “Sargonath,” “Sargonath” – The city stat block for Sargonath should not be completely italicized.

Pg.81, “Sargonath,” “Important Characters,” “Piper Ogrebrood” – Here it says he is a “3rd” level fighter, but Appendix Two says he’s a “5th” level fighter.

Pg.82, “Piper’s Company,” par.2, sent.1 – Here it says he is a “3rd” level fighter, but Appendix Two says he’s a “5th” level fighter.

Pg.82, “Brass Tiger Company,” par.1 – It states above that the Company’s stats reflect that of the captain, but here, the Alignment, Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Knowledge (local) do not match Gwynneth’s stats in Appendix Two.

Pg.110 – With it being six days since the beginning of Chapter 4 (5th day of Mishamont), Lunitari should be on the 7th day of Waxing as it was on the 1st day of Waxing at the start of Chapter 4 (it appears that the Lunitari entry is the one for the start of Chapter 6…the other two moons look fine here).
    Lunitari: 7th day of Waxing, Waxing Gibbous

Pg.111, “Picketville” write up – The city stat block for Picketville should not be completely italicized.

Pg.111, “Picketville,” “Important Characters” – Here it says Ticktock is “N” and is a “master 10,” but Appendix Two says he is “CG” and is a “master5/gnomish tinker 6.”

Pg.140, “Wulfgar” city stat block – The city stat block for Wulfgar should not be completely italicized.

Pg.146, “The Knights’ Council” – The “shaded text” doesn’t have an end marker.

Pg.160, “Using the Crystals,” par.1, sent.1” – According to the earlier statements, the crystals are “amber, topaz, citrine, moonstone, and carnelian”…not “quartz.”

Pg.174, "Sir Goran Hedegast, Skull Knight Officer" – It should be a +16 on 8 HD because he has a Constitution score of 14.

Pg.174, "Sir Klavier Ettel, Lily Knight Officer" - With a Strength of 16, for the +1 flaming longsword, Atk should be "+13," Full Atk should be "+13/+8," and the damage should for both should be "1d8+6/19-20 plus 1d6 fire."

Pg.174, "Sir Klavier Ettel, Lily Knight Officer" - With a Strength of 16, for the dagger, Atk should be +11.

Pg.174, "Sir Klavier Ettel, Lily Knight Officer" - In the Full Atk section the +1 longsword should read "+1 flaming longsword."

Pg.175, "Terrin Whiteknot" - The Challenge Rating should be 8.

Pg.175, "Terrin Whiteknot" - He's missing his "alternate form."

Pg.175, "Terrin Whiteknot" - All the feats he has here are the ones he got from the vampire template. Shouldn't he have 3 more?

QUESTIONS:
    Pg.24, “DH4: Cells” – Why don’t Ivor Dulet and Murance Brandis have stat blocks in Appendix Two?

Pg.40, “History of Micah,” par.2, sent.1 – Shouldn’t this have happened “before” the Second Dragon War and not “during?” Weren’t all the dragons released (according to other sources) at the beginning of the war?

Pg.63, “Flora & Fauna,” par.1, sent.4 – Where is “The Mire” located? It’s not on the map.

Pg.63, “Random Encounters,” “Minotaur Vessel” – Why are there no stat blocks in Appendix Two for this crew?

Pg.63, “Random Encounters,” “Human Pirates” – There is no mention of what kind of boat they have, and why are there no stat blocks in Appendix Two for the crew?

Pg.73, “Features of the Coral Citadel,” par.4 – There is no mention here of how tall the ceilings are. I think that’s an important feature where the heroes might be swimming for part or most of the time. Did I miss it somewhere, or why is it omitted?

Pg.119, “Wyndlass” – Why is there no write up for this unique encounter? (although, the stats do exist in Appendix Two)

Pg.121, “The Outer Rim,” “Creatures” – Why is no percent chance for an encounter with the Xocnalic warriors given?

Pg.121, “The Inner Rim,” “Creatures” – Why is no percent chance for an encounter with the bakali given?

Pg.142, “Features of Wulfgar,” par.2 – The last sentence here describing the walls does not make sense to me; can you rephrase that here to describe what you’re talking about?

Pg.173, "Fiendish Goblin Warriors" - Are these stats correct? Because I do not understand why they get a sneak attack. Are they supposed to be "Male fiendish goblin rogue 2?"
    Last edited by Arek Brimstone; 09-07-2005 at 09:03 PM.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

"And the words that you fear,
    Will always be, the words you hear." - Collective Soul, "How Do You Love"

Oh yeah, and what happened with the cover? Why the zoom in on the two characters? Easley...love his work or hate it...his strongest aspects (and my personal favorite of his) are his backgrounds. They are always so beautifully done. Why was that cut out? :(
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Sigh.

Cheers,
    Cam

Heh...<ahem>...sorry about that Cam. :(

On the plus side, it was still the cleanest book so far! (I thought) And, most of that stuff up there is just formatting issues. Not all of it, of course, but a lot of it.

Of the questions, though, the only ones that I'd really like to know the answers to are the ones about the ceiling height in the Coral Citadel and Brain Coral and what are the percent chances of running into patrols in the Inner and Outer Circles of Morlexcetlan...or however that is spelled.

Oh, and what that inner city wall of Wulfgar looks like. Is the inner part of the city on a ledge...or like up on a circular plateau or something?

Don't let this somewhat long errata post above fool you, I was really impressed with the book. Not only the quality of it, but just how damn good the story/module is! It gets an "A" from me, and I can't wait to run my PCs through it!
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone
    Of the questions, though, the only ones that I'd really like to know the answers to are the ones about the ceiling height in the Coral Citadel and Brain Coral and what are the percent chances of running into patrols in the Inner and Outer Circles of Morlexcetlan...or however that is spelled.
    I'm pretty sure I responded to that when you first sent in this feedback, Tobin - that information should be in the section at the beginning of the area, in a bullet list of common traits and features. As for Morlexctlan - I think the % chances must have also been lost to formatting, but it should be fairly standard for swamps.

Oh, and what that inner city wall of Wulfgar looks like. Is the inner part of the city on a ledge...or like up on a circular plateau or something?
    It's up above the city. The inner wall facing out into the rest of the city would allow you to climb up to the plateau, but you'd still have to worry about walls higher up around the palace.

Don't let this somewhat long errata post above fool you, I was really impressed with the book. Not only the quality of it, but just how damn good the story/module is! It gets an "A" from me, and I can't wait to run my PCs through it!
    Good to hear! Just don't do what Weldon did and run it all in one day...

Cheers,
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks
    I'm pretty sure I responded to that when you first sent in this feedback, Tobin - that information should be in the section at the beginning of the area, in a bullet list of common traits and features. As for Morlexctlan - I think the % chances must have also been lost to formatting, but it should be fairly standard for swamps.
    Oh, oops...I'll check that again.
    It's up above the city. The inner wall facing out into the rest of the city would allow you to climb up to the plateau, but you'd still have to worry about walls higher up around the palace.
    Okay so...the inner city is up on a 20 foot tall plateau? And the "20 foot inner city wall" is really more like a battlement along the edge of the plateau (with the wall essentially being the edges of the 20 foot high plateau?)
    Holy crap! How is that even possible!?!
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone
    Holy crap! How is that even possible!?!
    Well, it can be done. a bunch of hardcore gamers/coworkers with D&D experience helped a lot. So from there, they aren't your typical gamer who wants to explore every nook and granny that comes along. We started at 9 AM and finished after 12 midnight with breaks for lunch and dinner. Pretty much like a typical day at work. They are all well familiar with game rules, and they have a streamlined way of proceeding with combat so that makes it easy.

We've already finished doing KoD before, so we were all familiar with their characters as a team. We didn't take too many detours, and I preprepped with each character already had a personal gain for their characters going into the series. And we have a goodly supply of game equipment at work, so props, mapping, and game functions are clearly marked. I think the toughest part, was giving them the game info. That's where preprep counts. It's easier for me to paraphrase what characters say, rather than reading it out from the SoS.

I gotta admit, the draconian players did jump into the water to see what would happen to them. that threw me for a loop, but I quickly made a judgement call, and made them noble draconians. they needed to adjust to their new forms, but that's what they get.

All in all, I also give it an A grade.

Weldon

Shnik Guest

Well, since an errata thread has been started already... A few things I noticed while reading the book. I won't mention typos, only "gaming"-related issues (in a very large sense).

p.29: In the Flotsam write-up, the Chamberlain's race isn't written.

p.74: The BC4 encounter, Undead Dargonesti, doesn't have an Encounter Level contrarily to all the other areas.

p.83: In the second Encounter table, the 86-100 entry doesn't have an EL.

p.102, 119, 131: The travelling tables on these pages all seem to be missing "½" symbols on some lines, even though the empty spaces are there.

p.134: Does the Field of Skeletons trap have a duration? It seems it would be a bit powerful if it was permanent.

p.140: In the Wulfgar write-up, Gilthanas is a Noble 3/ Fighter 3/ Sorcerer 4/ Eldritch Knight 7, while in the stat block on p.190 he's a Noble 3/ Fighter 3/ Sorcerer 6/ Eldritch Knight 5.

p.175: Sir Witmar Dagdel should have a CR of 8, not 6.

p.177: Lord Toede's Initiative value doesn't seem to include his Improved Initiative feat.

p.182: Master Yap is a 7th-level wizard, with an Int value of at least 14, yet he doesn't have 4th-level spells prepared or known.

p.186: The Sargonath Lighthouse Keeper should have 5D6+3 HD, not 6D6+3. Also, his Initiative value should be -1, not 0.

A few personal questions:

On p.19, it says the Phaethon Elder instructs the player characters in the use of the Tear of Mishakal's primary abilites. What exactly counts as a Tear's primary ability?

The Dargonesti in the stat blocks have sharkskin leather armour. Is there a difference between sharkskin and regular leather armour?

That's it!

Thanks for the notes Shnik! This is helpful to everyone involved - you can't improve without feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnik
    The Dargonesti in the stat blocks have sharkskin leather armour. Is there a difference between sharkskin and regular leather armour?
    Not in terms of rules - it's just for flavor. I wanted to give them leather armor, but it seemed silly that they'd be swimming around in tanned cowhide, so I thought it would be nifty if Dargonesti wore leather made from sharkskin.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvalentine
    Thanks for the notes Shnik! This is helpful to everyone involved - you can't improve without feedback.
    Man...he gets a "thanks" and I get a "sigh." I'm definately going to have to work on my delivery...

Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone