Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny Errata

ByzCath Guest

What is the cost a night for the Five Dragons Inn & Tavern?

EDIT: found it on my own, thanks for the help (not). The reason I could not find it was the format for this Inn is different from the format for the Wounded Crow. Would be a nice idea if format was consistent but then there are many huge editing issues with most of the DL products anyways.
    Last edited by ByzCath; 10-31-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: to add additional comment

I believe that the skill point distribution for Elijayess Moonshadow's stat block on p. 170 is incorrect. I noticed that he has a total Jump bonus of +5. With a 17 Str I would assume he has 2 ranks in Jump. Trick is, with a base speed of 40 he should have a +5 bonus to Jump checks, meaning his Jump Skill should be at least +10. This made me curious.

So I started doing some math (and I hate doing math). By my calculations Elijayess as he is written in the module (factoring out ability score modifiers and racial bonuses) has 40 skill points distributed amongst his listed skills. As a Bbn2/Rgr3 with a +1 Int bonus he should have anywhere from 46 (if he was a Bbn at 1st level) to 52 (if he was a Rgr at 1st level) skill points to work with.

I do believe our Kagonesti friend is short 6 to 12 skill points!

Plus, if he is going to be able to use his magic bastard sword to the level of efficiency that is statted for his melee attack (+9), he needs an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in the bastard sword. The simpliest fix would be replacing his Weapon Focus (longbow) with the necessary Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

And I'm guessing that his masterwork composite longbow is supposed to be a mighty masterwork composite longbow (+4 Str bonus) since his Str bonus is factored into the weapon's damage and it mentions that the weapon gives a +4 Str bonus.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 10-27-2005 at 07:17 AM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere
    And I'm guessing that his masterwork composite longbow is supposed to be a mighty masterwork composite longbow (+4 Str bonus) since his Str bonus is factored into the weapon's damage and it mentions that the weapon gives a +4 Str bonus.
    They don't call them mighty bows any longer - in 3.5, all composite bows have a Strength rating. But yes, he should have had that specified.

Thanks for noting those errors. I had to tone the character down from the original when I did the stat blocks for KoD, so it wasn't written up from scratch. Sorry about that. Still, he doesn't stick around all that long.

Cheers,
    Cam

Kai Lord Guest

I believe that the skill point distribution for Elijayess Moonshadow's stat block on p. 170 is incorrect.
    Hi, I was the one who created Elijayess and submitted the stat block. There's two pretty specific reasons for why his stats turned out the way they did. Number one, this was a character with a very extensive and heroic backstory. As such he was considerably more powerful than how he appears in KoD. He was stronger (amazingly ), hardier, and with more than twice as many levels.

Early creative discussions had Elijayess appearing either very briefly in KoD to impart some important piece of knowledge or encouragement to the players or not until much later, the second or third module, where his combat prowess would not overshadow the PC's.

Then Chris had the idea of Elijayess meeting the PC's in KoD as an equal and brother in arms, with the opportunity to grow with them if the DM needed someone to help pad out the party. So the request was made to lower the character to about fifth level so he could accompany the PC's during a portion of the adventure.

Here is the character as I submitted him:

Elijayess Moonshadow: Male Kagonesti elf Bbn2/Rgr3; CR 5; Medium-size humanoid (elf); HD 2d12+35 plus 3d8+12; hp 65; Init +5, Spd 40ft.; AC 18 (touch 15; flat-footed 18); Atk +11 melee (1d10+8/19-20, +2 bastard sword bane vs. dragons) or +13 melee against dragons (1d10+10/19-20, +2 bastard sword bane vs. dragons) or +13 ranged 30 or less (1d8+5, 19-20, Big Bear Composite Longbow) or +12 ranged (1d8+4, 19-20, Big Bear Composite Longbow); SA Rage 1/day, Favored Enemy: Undead +2; SQ Fast movement, Uncanny dodge, Wild empathy; AL NG, SV Fort +10,Ref +8, Will +1; Str 19, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 15.

Skills and Feats: Craft: Bowmaking +3, Climb +8, Heal +4, Hide +16, Jump +6, Knowledge (geography) +3, Knowledge (nature) +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +16, Profession (boating) +2, Search +3, Spot +6, Survival +3, Swim +5; Elfsight, Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Track, Weapon Focus (longbow).

Possessions: Masterwork Composite Longbow (The Big Bear), Bastard Sword +2 bane vs. dragons, Leather +2, Red Cloak of Elvenkind, Boots of Elvenkind, Ring of Mind Shielding, Quiver w/masterwork arrows (20), masterwork daggers (2), gold amulet.
    Note the increased Str score. That explains the +4 mighty bow and the BAB for the bastard sword. In streamlining the character for play with a party of PC's it looks like Cam dropped the Boating skill (a throwback to Elijayess' days on the river in Southern Ergoth but useless in the Desolation) and lowered his Herculean Str and Con by two points each and then modified the skills accordingly. A difficult proposition considering the amount of calculations and reverse engineering required for a character he didn't create.

Elijayess' first level was Barbarian, by the way, so his total skill points was lower than had he began as a Ranger. Looking at the stats I submitted it appears he had 41 points total (not including racial and ability modifiers) so my numbers were a tad off as well. IIRC Elijayess was converted before I actually had full access to the DLCS and had only just received the then brand new 3.5 rules. So there was probably a rookie mistake or two in how skill points were allocated.

Considering the role Elijayess plays in the story as written I think the stats as published do just fine. And I'm very happy with the results.
    Last edited by Kai Lord; 01-03-2006 at 12:35 AM.

Elijayess' original stat block was far too powerful for what amounts to an NPC guide in the Desolation. He was toned down for KoD and does not appear again in the campaign once he and the heroes part ways following the Peak of Malys.

Cheers,
    Cam

I only recently noticed Kai Lord's and Cam's responses to my corrections of Elijayess' stat blocks. One thing that is hinted at in the module and here in this thread is Elijayess' meaty backstory. Nowhere (that I'm aware of) has it been clearly spelled out.

Are they're any plans to release it, perhaps in a web enhancement or an errata document?

The Kagonesit guide actually turned into a significant NPC in my KoD campaign, becoming involved in a romantic storyline with the main PCs and yes, padding out the party's combat prowness (it's only me and my girlfriend playing this particular campaign). I've already invented my own backstory for him on the fly, but I'm curious what was actually written for the character.

If anyone has the time, I'd love to hear the tale. Feel free to PM me if that's easier!
    Head Moderator &

Are they're any plans to release it, perhaps in a web enhancement or an errata document?
    No plans.

Cheers,
    Cam

Kai Lord Guest

I only recently noticed Kai Lord's and Cam's responses to my corrections of Elijayess' stat blocks. One thing that is hinted at in the module and here in this thread is Elijayess' meaty backstory. Nowhere (that I'm aware of) has it been clearly spelled out.

He won't be in anything else directly attached to the Age of Mortals adventure trilogy but that doesn't mean you've seen the last of him.

The Kagonesit guide actually turned into a significant NPC in my KoD campaign, becoming involved in a romantic storyline with the main PCs and yes, padding out the party's combat prowness (it's only me and my girlfriend playing this particular campaign). I've already invented my own backstory for him on the fly, but I'm curious what was actually written for the character.

If anyone has the time, I'd love to hear the tale. Feel free to PM me if that's easier!
    Glad to see that you were able to use the character to enhance your campaign! That's what he was there for. As for your request let me just say stay tuned for now. There's something on the horizon that could effect how much I want to PM you at the present time. I still would love to see your customized backstory over on the Gaming forum.

Orginally posted by Kai Lord:
    As for your request let me just say stay tuned for now. There's something on the horizon that could effect how much I want to PM you at the present time. I still would love to see your customized backstory over on the Gaming forum.
    Take your time Kai, I appreciate the fact that you're willing to share at all! Give me a few days to gather my thoughts and notes (and confer with my players - I pretty much made it up on the spot in game) and I'll happily share the story I created for Elijayess.
    Head Moderator &

Maybe I should try to get a job proofreading the material. I'm kinda psychotic when it comes to spelling errors, grammar, punctuation, etc. I even correct my boss's spelling. Whenever they put out a notice we have to sign and return, first I correct all errors, then I sign it, and then I turn it in.

BTW, all those errors should count as WTF moments.
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org