Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonlance Nexus Creature Competition!!!

Exclamation Dragonlance Nexus Creature Competition!!!

This is it, guys! The contest that YOU demanded!

Think you've got the ultimate Dragonlance monster? Want to flex your creative muscles? Then let's see what monstrous creations you can come up with.

Here's the rules...

1. Entry must be a monster or template using the D&D 3.5 rules. A template must include a sample creature created with the template.

2. The only rules allowed are those from the core 3.5 books: PHB, MM, DMG, as well as the DLCS and Sovereign Press Dragonlance products. No additional WOTC books allowed: nothing from Complete Warrior, or Draconomicon, or any other non-corebook.

3. Monster must be an original entry, not one published before in novels or game products.

4. Monster must be a Dragonlance monster. A half-orc/half drow psionic lycanthrope would not be allowed.

5. Only members of the DragonlanceForums.com message boards may enter. All entries will be posted on the Nexus when the contest is over.

6. All entries must be e-mailed to Dragonhelm with the words “Monster Contest” in the subject line. PM’d entries or those posted on the boards will not be accepted. Please include your e-mail address, real name, and any pen name you wish to use for the Nexus (if different).

7. You may enter as many times as you like, though there will only be one winner.

8. Due date is July 10. No entries will be accepted for consideration in the contest after that point, though they will be posted on the Nexus.

9. Employees of Sovereign Press, members of the Whitestone Council, authors, moderators, and their respective families may not enter.

10. Have fun!

Judging - Judging will be conducted by the Whitestone Council, and will be based on originality, creativity, and rules savvy.

The Booty - The winner gets a custom board user title of his or her choice!

So there you have it! I'll keep this thread open for questions and to discuss the contest.

Good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by Dragonhelm; 06-29-2005 at 10:43 AM.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Whooooooo! You heard im folks, Soups on!
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

I needed a little clarification on a couple of the rules:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm
    3. Monster must be an original entry, not one published before in novels or game products.

4. Monster must be a Dragonlance monster. A half-orc/half drow psionic lycanthrope would not be allowed.
    By "not one published before in novels", do we mean gaming stats only? What if we wanted to draw up our favorite obscure critter from an out-of-print novel? If not, then I'm not sure what we mean by "Dragonlance" monster - is it only that it can't be from any of the informally banned races or subtypes of Krynn, or we just have to find a way to make it fit?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Waylorn Wyvernsbane
    I needed a little clarification on a couple of the rules:

By "not one published before in novels", do we mean gaming stats only? What if we wanted to draw up our favorite obscure critter from an out-of-print novel? If not, then I'm not sure what we mean by "Dragonlance" monster - is it only that it can't be from any of the informally banned races or subtypes of Krynn, or we just have to find a way to make it fit?

Thanks!
    No, it should be interpreted literally -- if you've read about it in a novel, then please don't detail it, even if stats don't exist for the monster. (Of course, you could write it up and submit it, but it wouldn't be a valid entry in the contest!)

The reasoning behind this is that we want to ensure that all of the monsters are original. If we allow people to convert a monster that already exists, then there is the risk that a couple of people will pick the same monster and we'll have overlap. If it's completely original, then that eliminates that risk. And, as you point out, no informally banned sub-races.

Hope that helps!
    Paladin

Plus, having novel background provides an advantage to some contestants. We want to see how original you are.

So come up with something that hasn't been in novels or games, make it original, and pack it with DL flava.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

But it can be of any monster type?
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

On the mechanic side of things....

Stat-block: The new or old format?
    Bündesphar | Mage-Slayer | Assassin for Hire | Spellslinger | Unaligned | Medium humanoid

"He Who Chases Death."

Nived Guest

What 'new format'?

Quote Originally Posted by Nived
    What 'new format'?
    The one WoTC put into place with DMG II and all future products will use.

It was showcased in the the New-Stat Block Thread.
    Bündesphar | Mage-Slayer | Assassin for Hire | Spellslinger | Unaligned | Medium humanoid

"He Who Chases Death."

Nived Guest

Well Helm did say Core only, and the DMG II isn't core, though staying up to date is important. So I supose it's a good question.