Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DM stuck on 2ND eddition

Default DM stuck on 2ND edition

i could use some advice on how to make my DM start running 3.5 eddition dragonlance. my DM is an old school dragonlance player but he just refuses to go to the new edition. i have even bought the books but he still refuses to play it. he keeps saying that chang is bad and that their isnt anything wrong with the old rules. even tho i find more and more wrong with it every time we play. he just wont give it a chance. i must say i did get him to use the skills and powers rules but that took 2 years of me talking about it.

have any of you had DM's that wont change to the new rules ?
    Last edited by Dragonhelm; 08-16-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenwolf
    i could use some advice on how to make my DM start running 3.5 eddition dragonlance. my DM is an old school dragonlance player but he just refuses to go to the new edition. i have even bought the books but he still refuses to play it. he keeps saying that chang is bad and that their isnt anything wrong with the old rules. even tho i find more and more wrong with it every time we play. he just wont give it a chance. i must say i did get him to use the skills and powers rules but that took 2 years of me talking about it.

I recently played a short campaign with a DM who wanted to run the 2nd edition rules, but I think he had a couple of good reasons for doing it. The first was that like your DM, he was more comfortable with it, and the second was that he had so much old 2nd edition material (we played 'The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh', for example) that it would have taken a lot more work to convert it to 3rd edition than it was worth,

That being said, I forgot how difficult it was to try to figure out THAC0, and exactly how pointless a wizard at 1st level was.

One way to do it might be to offer to run a short adventure using the new rules and have your DM as a player rather than you playing in one of his campaigns. It may take more than one adventure for people to get the hang of it, but you generally catch on pretty quick to 3rd ed, so that might be a good place to start.

Ultimately if he won't change, then it may be time to find a new DM.
    Paladin

Hey, I really don't understand why should someone change from AD&D to D&D 3e.
    Me, for example, I'm thinking of running some campaign someday with those old rules. Why?
    - I have a lot of material (*all* PlaneScape, nearly *all* DragonLance, I'm just missing a couple of books from Dark Sun... and not counting generic!) and I don't wont to believe that it is wasted money.
    - AD&D was not that bad, it simply was different. In fact I miss something that was there: the level limits and classes allowances. I really cannot imagine a kender archmage in Wayreth...
    - I learned to play with AD&D and a local game, Aquelarre, so there's the setimentalistic in me.

And I could keep on, but I believe that my point is made...
    Unlive long, and prosper

the thing is he never did the levil limits or class limitations. that and a few years back he went and bought paladium books. so he has changed rules before. he just wont go to 3rd edition. he keeps saying it sounds like rolemaster or some sort of game like that. he even went as far as mixing the paladium and 2nd edition rules together to use in d&d. the other person in our gaming group would also love to use 3rd edition, it isnt just me. he wont even read the new books.

Perhaps you should step up to the plate an run your own campaign using the 3.5 rules. If he doesn't want to run a campaign using the new rules then there is nothing to stop you from running one. In fact after playing a few games in which you DM you may convince your DM to adopt the new rules as well, simply by leading through example.

Dominion of Ergoth, World Empire of Istar.

Part of being DM is listening to the wants and desires of your players. This may sound harsh, but if you can't convince him to switch to 3rd edition and that's the system you really like ... quit and find a new DM that will run Dragonlance 3rd edition, or run your own campaign. If the other players in your group want a 3rd edition campaign, all the more reason for you all to switch.

As an analogy, if your DM only wanted to run a Greyhawk campaign and you (and other players) wanted a Dragonlance campaign, would you all stick to playing a campaign you've got no interest in? If the answer is no, then why stick around playing in an outmoded system?

p.s. I'm a DM in my own Dragonlance campaign ... so don't think this is some player insurrectionist talking.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey-

I was the same originally. I didn't want to change from 2nd ed AD&D to the 3.0 rules. I didn't see the need and the changes sounded too drastic. But I decided it was worth a look, so I picked up the PHB.

You can't force your DM to change system, but if you and he are up for it, why don't you run a couple sessions to show him how 3.5 works. You might be able to convince him that way.

Just an idea.

he keeps saying it sounds like rolemaster or some sort of game like that.
    3e like rolemaster, aka tablesmaster???
    Well as it seems that you don't know Rolemaster, rest asured taht 3e and rolemaster have nothing in common... luckilly.

There's something that all these guys here have said, I'm sorry to be the contrary-guy. The question is: is the system so important? Does your DM do great campaigns? If he's a good DM, does itreally matter which system he uses? The important thing is *having fun*
    If you're not talk to him and see what's wrong with the campaign. The system is just that, a system, in fact I'm running a DL+PS campaign with TriStat and even tough I don't completelly like the system, as we're having fun I don't worry much about what kind of dice I have to roll and if I have to roll more or less than a certain number...

My advice: have fun and don't worry about secondary things like dice!!

(me, playing devil's advocate... ;D )
    Unlive long, and prosper

Esswer Guest

Changing from AD&D to 3.5E doesn't necesarily mean everything old is wasted money. Most of the stuff is easily converted and the adventure you already played will kind of be new adventures with the conversions. Monster stats are, I admit a bit more tricky to convert, but generally I think most of the material is only 'for reference purposes.'
    As the others suggested, play a few sessions with your DM as a player and you as the DM (yes, it is you who wants them to go to new systems, so you will have to offer them a bit in return).

Quote Originally Posted by Sothus
    3e like rolemaster, aka tablesmaster???
    Well as it seems that you don't know Rolemaster, rest asured taht 3e and rolemaster have nothing in common... luckilly.
    That's not true. I was involved with Rolemaster before there even WAS a Rolemaster (some of my house rules appear in a few RM Companions).

There is a lot of RM 2nd Ed in 3E. It's not surprising - after all, Monte Cook wrote the DMG and Monte started in the biz with ICE and Rolemaster for years. It was his favorite system.

The things about 3E that people tend to like and say are the improvements of 3E over 2E? Skill points, cross class skills, its universal mechanics, skill synergies - that's all pure RM 2nd Ed which found its way into 3E.
    .Robert
    Project Lead, *DLA*
    http://www.dladventures.com
    irc.neverwinterconnections.com #dladventures