Page 375 of 379 FirstFirst ... 275325365371372373374375376377378379 LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 3781

Thread: DL Book Currently Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by elder View Post
    On page 243 of the Medusa Plague it states that while in Bastion, wizards are not subject to the three moons. So, what empowers their spells in Bastion?
    Well, this is part of the great conflicting parts of how magic works on Krynn.

I have a unified theory, but it tends to be convoluted, and even hated by other fans.

So, the theory starts is that when the gods created Krynn, and Reorx truck chaos with his hammer, the sparks were created. These sparks would be the souls that danced among the stars. The Gods all saw potential in these spirits, with the gods of Light seeking bring them to righteousness and share the universe with them. It came to be that the gods were to give these spirits gifts, and so the gods of light gave the spirits life and physical form. Thus, the spirits gained control over the material world and became more like the Gods themselves. (DLA)

So, the source of all magic is the ability to control the material world and be more like the Gods themselves. So all mortals have an ability to access magic in some way. The easiest way is to be a wizard, sorcerer, bard or mystic, which access the primal energies that exists since the creation of the world. As the gods fought over the world and it's peoples, the gods gained followers. Through the mortal's natural access to magic, the gods were able to transfer their power in limited capacity directly to mortals. These were the first clerics.

As the legend goes, Lunitari and the other moon gods saw a persecution of the magic in the world. For each of their own reasons, they made pacts with Hiddukel, who worked with Morgion and Chislev to convince Reorx to create the the greygem. The greygem was given to Lunitari for safe keeping, with the hope that more magic would be released. The coming of the greygem lead to a tragic explosion of wild magic across Krynn, warping plants, animals, and men, giving all create undisciplined magic across Krynn. The Gods in turn sought to tame the chaotic magic, making the use of magic rarer and more exclusive. This culminated in the three great sorcerers who cast spells that wreaked havoc upon the land. The Gods of magic look to these sorcerers and trained them to become the first wizards of high sorcery. (i.e. there were always wizards before, but not wizards of high sorcery).

The caveat, is that the wizards do not need to follow the gods, as they have always had the initial spark of creation given to them by the first Gift of the gods. These wizard would normally be renegades that the Wizards of High Sorcery would hunt down. So.... in my theory, the wizards of Bastion empower their own spells like renegades.

Weldon
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 07-26-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Default current read

Ok so I am the middle of the last book for the Ogre Titans Trilogy The Gargoyle King and bought the book used and on page 109 part of is ripped about the size of someone thumb if any1 can help me out with the missing paragraph I would really appreciate it
    missing page.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ok so I am the middle of the last book for the Ogre Titans Trilogy The Gargoyle King and bought the book used and on page 109 part of is ripped about the size of someone thumb if any1 can help me out with the missing paragraph I would really appreciate it
    missing page.jpg
    I'll message you
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Default thanks

thanks for the message i been stuck on that page for a week lol and i even reordered the book but wont come in till another week

Where in the Plains of Dust is Qindaras, as mentioned in the Seventh Sentinel? I cant find it on any map that I have access to.

Also, in the same book comes the artifact the Gauntlet of Ventyr, is the Gauntlet detailed in any of the game books?
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Thanks Weldon for your thoughts on my other question.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

I just finished the Defenders of Magic series. Overall, I liked it. However, here are the things that left me scratching my head:

Spoiler: Spoiler 
    • After Guerrard's death, everyone talked about what a great sacrifice he made to save magic. Um, his death changed nothing. The big bad only accelerated his plans.
    • There wasnt closure for many of the secondary characters. Curse TSR for limiting their books to around 300 pages. There could have been so much/many more information/stories/novels about the secondary characters.
    • I was so happy to connect the dots between the tree in Bastion in the Price of Courage and the novels.

At the end of The Seventh Sentinel there is an excerpt from chapter 1 of Dragons of Summer Flame which details the KoN and the Brutes exploring an island full of primitive peoples (Irda in disguise, I presume). Did this not make the final cut? I dont remember this bit in DoSF, maybe I dont remember it properly?
    Last edited by elder; 07-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elder View Post
    Where in the Plains of Dust is Qindaras, as mentioned in the Seventh Sentinel? I cant find it on any map that I have access to.

Also, in the same book comes the artifact the Gauntlet of Ventyr, is the Gauntlet detailed in any of the game books?
    I believe the SAGA game material talks about the Gauntlet

At the end of The Seventh Sentinel there is an excerpt from chapter 1 of Dragons of Summer Flame which details the KoN and the Brutes exploring an island full of primitive peoples (Irda in disguise, I presume). Did this not make the final cut? I dont remember this bit in DoSF, maybe I dont remember it properly?
    I don't have that version. As I recall, this is still chapter 1 of DoSF. This chapter starts the Irda into recklessly breaking open the grey gem and starting the whole problem with chaos.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 07-30-2016 at 01:04 PM.
    Fanwank

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    I believe the SAGA game material talks about the Gauntlet

I don't have that version. As I recall, this is still chapter 1 of DoSF. This chapter starts the Irda into recklessly breaking open the grey gem and starting the whole problem with chaos.
    Thanks. I was thinking that the first chapter in DoSF was about the killing of the Solamnic patrol, but that might be the prelude.

I finished The Alien Sea. I thought the first half was a little slow as the author concentrated on world building and threw in the mix every conceivable creature. And our heroes didn't seem like they were tackling the issue of the main problem. I will admit the author does a terrific job painting this underwater world and I had no problem visualizing it. The second half of the book peaked my interest and the last 75 pages was fantastic. I loved the action during these pages and the sacrifices our characters made. Overall a good book.

I am going back to The Ergoth Trilogy and starting A Hero's Justice.