Page 374 of 379 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 3781

Thread: DL Book Currently Reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Just started the Survivors book 2 of the Anvil of Time series
    That was an awesome read. you are quite literally in for a wild ride
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

I finished Saving Solace and I thought it was just okay. I like the idea of a murder mystery set in this setting.I was looking forward to spend some more time with known characters like Gunthar and Palin. And Solace is one of my favorite settings in this universe.

Going into this book I thought the main plot was going to be the murder investigation. I was wrong as it seemed the main plot was the everyday life Of Solace and things getting back to normal after the war. I liked this insight but not as the main story arc. I cannot get too excited about reading how Otik's spiced potatoes doesn't agree with Gunthar's stomach. If this look into everyday life was the sub plot I would have enjoyed this book. For me, it seemed like I read page after page and nothing happened.

I am continuing this series and starting The Alien Sea.

I am now reading book 2 of Rise of Solamnia, The Crown and the Sword.

I'm currently reading The Dawning of a New Age by Jean Rabe.

For the first time, I might add.

And I'm quite liking it so far. Sure, the dialogue's a little stiff at times compared to Weis & Hickman's later works (anything post Chronicles really), but I've definitely seen much worse, and I still find it quite enjoyable overall.

Not sure where all the hate for this series comes from. Of course, I'm armed with the knowledge that all the absolutely terrible choices that were made with the Dragonlance setting in the 1990s will be deus-ex-machina'd out of existence during the War of Souls trilogy (and thank god for that). xD

EDIT: Okay, I take that back, 100 pages in, I can see where much of the hate is coming from. The novel takes no time at all in setting up the Age of Mortals - literally, in a span of about 15 pages the timeline is advanced by 20 years and the entire world has changed radically. The changes to the world itself are probably what upset most fans at the time (they are what I, as a relatively new Dragonlance fan, hated about the Fifth Age SAGA boxed set when I got it in the late 90s), but in retrospect, with many of those changes having been undone by the War of Souls, it's still not a particularly well written book. Things happen to quickly for the reader to really get attached to any of the characters, so in spite of the rather radical things that happen to them, nothing really has any impact. Boo. =P
    Last edited by Jayce; 07-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Just finisged RoS and now onto Protecting Palanthas

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    I'm currently reading The Dawning of a New Age by Jean Rabe.

For the first time, I might add.

And I'm quite liking it so far. Sure, the dialogue's a little stiff at times compared to Weis & Hickman's later works (anything post Chronicles really), but I've definitely seen much worse, and I still find it quite enjoyable overall.

Not sure where all the hate for this series comes from. Of course, I'm armed with the knowledge that all the absolutely terrible choices that were made with the Dragonlance setting in the 1990s will be deus-ex-machina'd out of existence during the War of Souls trilogy (and thank god for that). xD

EDIT: Okay, I take that back, 100 pages in, I can see where much of the hate is coming from. The novel takes no time at all in setting up the Age of Mortals - literally, in a span of about 15 pages the timeline is advanced by 20 years and the entire world has changed radically. The changes to the world itself are probably what upset most fans at the time (they are what I, as a relatively new Dragonlance fan, hated about the Fifth Age SAGA boxed set when I got it in the late 90s), but in retrospect, with many of those changes having been undone by the War of Souls, it's still not a particularly well written book. Things happen to quickly for the reader to really get attached to any of the characters, so in spite of the rather radical things that happen to them, nothing really has any impact. Boo. =P
    I agree with you on many points. The fact that this time period is transitory (thanks to WoS) makes it easier not to angst about it and just to enjoy it for what it is. I’ll say that in the late 90s I was definitely a “Classic Dragonlance” fan (remember TSR in those days continued to publish pre-5A novels under the old logo and 5A novels under the new logo), but today I really love the Fifth Age Box. I think it’s a great setting, probably my single favorite iteration of DL for gaming. But the Rabe novels focus on “weird” things such as huldrefolk, and don’t capture the spirit of the Age, IMO. The Odyssey of Gilthanas is the gold standard in that regard.

Just finished Night of the Eye and started the Medusa Plague.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

After many years being away from my favorite books, I went back to the beginning. I am now on the second book of the Chronicles, Dragons of Winter Night.

I will then read Legends, then Raistlin Chronicles, then Lost Chronicles. I will follow it up with the Tales series, the Second Generation/Chaos War, and the War of Souls.

From there, I plan on reading the Elven Nations and the Kingpriest trilogy. I might finish my tour with The Legend of Huma and Dalamar the Dark. It will be a grand tour of Dragonlance, and (who knows) maybe I just won't stop reading from there until I have read every Dragonlance novel.

To be honest, these books are even much better than I remember them. And, as a fantasy veteran, it is NOT just nostalgia. Indeed, I have spent far too many years away from reading Dragonlance. I am tired of reading many overated fantasy series that, quite frankly, are not as good as Dragonlance. Yes, the first two books of the Stormlight Archive are very good. The Mistborn series was decent -- though far too dark for my liking. It was fun to read the works of Tolkein again and a few others -- Tolkien is always a good read. I personally could not stomach The Song of Ice and Fire (sorry, but I found it seriously disturbing and perverted -- and not in a good way). The various works of David Eddings are good and fun. Harry Potter was a cute distraction. But, I still like Dragonlance the best. They are just great stories with fantastic characters.
    Last edited by Raist'sTwin; 07-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.

On page 243 of the Medusa Plague it states that while in Bastion, wizards are not subject to the three moons. So, what empowers their spells in Bastion?
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

I will read again first three books of The Chronicles Trilogy, but I'm still waiting for stock. I'm really excited.
    A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic. - Antimodes of the White Robes