Page 368 of 379 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 3783

Thread: DL Book Currently Reading?

I finished The Survivors and I liked it. The book gave me a Walking Dead vibe minus the zombies. Several people are forced together after a world changing event and they must work together to survive. I had no problem with the characters and I didn't even mind the convenient occurrences that allowed our group to continue. I loved the appearance by Reorx. Then again, I have always enjoyed when a god shows himself or herself. My only gripe is for a majority of the story the plot was linear and it did lack character development. That being said, I liked how I was able to view a major event on a small scale.

I am starting Steel and Stone.

I finished Steel and Stone and it was okay. I thought it was a nice insight to Kitiara and I could see the foreshadowing of her character in the original trilogy. Tanis' portrayal wasn't perfect but it was passable. I think I was expecting more from their initial meeting than a playful wrestling match. It was sort of a letdown for a huge plot device from the original trilogy. The minor characters and the plot wasn't memorable and I will probably forget most of this book in a couple of months. I believe the two things I will remember is getting a better look at Kit and the glaring mistake with the timeline.

I guess I have to do this eventually and it might as well be now. I am going to start everyone's favorite Dragonlance book : The Dark Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clever_name_here View Post
    Steel and Stone … I think I was expecting more from their initial meeting than a playful wrestling match
    That’s straight out of the original 5-page document entitled “How the Heroes Met,” which was printed in DL5 and reprinted in Leaves.

“Tanis…came upon a young woman fighting a group of hobgoblins. Tanis leaped to her rescue, kiling the last bandit. To his astonishment, however, the young woman turned on him in a fury.… Their combat turned into a friendly wrestling match in the leaves—the wrestling turned more friendly in the night…”

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    That’s straight out of the original 5-page document entitled “How the Heroes Met,” which was printed in DL5 and reprinted in Leaves.
    Thank you for that tidbit of information. I never read the DL5 manual and I guess I cannot blame the author of Steel and Stone for the contrived initial meeting between Tanis and Kit.

After reading the "Holy Six' several times over the last 20 years, I finally decided to branch out and read more of the books. In the last couple of months I've knocked out the Lost Chronicles 1-3, Second Generation, Dragons of Summer Flame, and The Soulforge. I started Brothers in Arms a few days ago.

I managed to find the entire Kingpriest trilogy (each book in a different used bookstore in a different state), so I might start on that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Soltan_Gris View Post

I managed to find the entire Kingpriest trilogy (each book in a different used bookstore in a different state), so I might start on that next.
    You should start that one next as you will not be sorry if you did.

I finished The Dark Queen and it is deserving of its reputation. I thought about giving up on it several times and I am not one to do that. It is a shame too because I am a fan of Takhisis and the Kingpriest era is my favorite. This book did nothing to enhance these two aspects. I am not going to spend anymore time on this book as I do not want to go on a ugly diatribe about an author's work. I will end it and say I will try to forget my experience of reading this book.

My work situation has changed and I think my pace might slow down. I am starting The Covenant of the Forge.

Quote Originally Posted by Soltan_Gris View Post

It truly was an excellent trilogy. I'm working my way through the crossroads series....backwards.
    'I remember Raistlin saying something to the effect that hope was the carrot dangled before the nose of the cart horse to fool him into plodding forward. Yet we did plod forward and, in the end, we were rewarded.' -Laurana

Finished Brothers In Arms today. After the suggestion from several of you, I'll be starting Chosen of the Gods tonight.

Rereading Kingpriest as well.

I had just finished some good sci-fi and wasn't sure what I wanted to read next so I started perusing my paperbacks and The Kinslayer Wars caught my eye. That's one of my favorite DL covers (that's one reason I've held onto it all these years) and I haven't read that book since I first bought it shortly after it's initial release in the early 90s. I'm nearly finished and I have to admit that I'd forgotten most of the events of that novel but I'm loving every chapter of it! There are only a handful of DL books that I've read multiple times so when I pick one up I haven't read in over two decades it's like rediscovering it all over again. I think I may have to go back and read Firstborn next as I recall really enjoying that one and then The Qualinesti.
    Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history.
    -Bene Gesserit Coda, Chapterhouse: Dune