Page 328 of 378 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332338 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 3779

Thread: DL Book Currently Reading?

Just finished the Rise of Solamnia trilogy. I really enjoyed it, it has a more "gritty" feel than most DL material, methinks. My only complaint is that it was way too short for my reading habits (read it all on my Kindle in a week).

Finished Theroes Ironfeld last night, really solid book. Great start, flagged a bit in the middle, but rallied for a strong finish (other than one really odd scene right near the end). Much like Maquesta Kar-Thon, it took a marginal character on the periphery of the main story and provided a good tale that further fleshes out the world of Krynn for me.

Today I started Lord Soth. I'm just a couple chapters in and already I've encountered a couple events I've never heard of in the many, many tellings of Soth's tale I've come across in prior books. I'm not so sure I'm going to like this take on it - it's messing with one of the classic DL origins - but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Finished Lord Soth tonight, with mixed feelings. At first I was a bit angered in that several events were against every other account I'd ever read of the man. I didn't like that this author was putting his own spin on it.

But then I decided to let that go and just read the story without any preconceived notions. It turned out to be a pretty good book, a very chilling account of one man's descent - from having everything he wanted in life, to becoming a damned soul, the most villified man on the planet basically.

Good stuff, now to complete the Warriors series I'll go back to volume 1 and read the 4 linked novels by Roland Green - Knights of the Crown/Sword/Rose/etc.

Started rereading Chronicles again. I am in the middle of Dragons of Winter Night. These characters are like old friends I come back to again and again. But guess what? I've never read anything other than Chronicles and Legends.... I plan to remedy that this time around!

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidd View Post
    Started rereading Chronicles again. I am in the middle of Dragons of Winter Night. These characters are like old friends I come back to again and again. But guess what? I've never read anything other than Chronicles and Legends.... I plan to remedy that this time around!
    Welcome back! Have fun travelling down the dusty road.
    Keep your Lances held high.

I've just finished Green's "Knights of the Crown" and have started up "Knights of the Sword".

Don't worry, I'm also reading "Chosen of the Gods" to prevent insanity.
    "A man who doesn't like Laurel and Hardy just ain't worth a damn."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeppoLindus View Post
    Welcome back! Have fun travelling down the dusty road.

Thank you! I certainly will! I seem to remember an old Kender trailsong...

Your one true love's a sailing ship
    That anchors at our pier.
    We lift her sails, we man her decks,
    We scrub the portholes clear.....

Quote Originally Posted by MinkyUrungus View Post
    I've just finished Green's "Knights of the Crown" and have started up "Knights of the Sword".

Don't worry, I'm also reading "Chosen of the Gods" to prevent insanity.
    Just finished the Kingpriest trilogy. Really enjoyed it. Using watersones online site and downloading the ebooks to my Nexus so I can keep them with me!

Just about to start Amber and Ashes as my order for the paperback of Brothers in Arms to arrive.

Today I finished the 4th and final of Roland Green's "Knights" series. Normally I post here after every book I complete, but with these I treated them all as one long story.

It's not hard to see why it had such a polarizing effect on fans. The prose was wholly unlike anything I've read elsewhere in DL. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, it was just different. What was tougher by far to get over was how free and loose he is at times with the governing ruleset. I'm not saying that every little D&D rulebook has to be adhered to 100%, in fact I prefer when the authors don't feel shackled in this regard, but even still, Green made some pretty jarring departures. Is every "mystic" type character in his vision a multi-class arcanist and divine spellcaster? It sure seemed that way.

That being said he also had some really solid contributions. There were at least a pair of excellent duels. Also I really dig the way he portrays kender. He doesn't grab the low-hanging fruit and simply cast them as cheap comic relief. Green's kender are sly, cunning creatures, and underestimated at your own peril. I vastly preferred his vision of that race.

All in all it was an acceptable series. It contributes very little to the overall flow of Krynn's history - it's easily missed from that standpoint. But it had a good blend of action, some solid intrigue (even if I was very confused at times who I was pulling for), and was worth the time it took to read. Not the best DL material, but far from the worst.

Up next - tonight I'll start in on the 6-part Villains series. Unless I hear otherwise from some of the more learned sages on this site, I'll just take them in order, starting with book 1 - Before the Mask.

I'm currently reading Weasle's Luck. I can't say I like the "hero" much, and the story has dragged a bit so far, but I'm still enjoying the book.

Next on my list is Darkness & Light which I just bought (despite being told it has issues) after learning that it features a trip to Lunitari. (I'm currently researching DL's canon on Lunitari to see what it can add to what little Spelljammer has about the moon.) I'm probably going to have to read the book once for fun and then go back to take notes.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    Visit my Yahoo links for: Dragonlance websites, Taladas websites and Dragonlance web enhancements
    (If I am not here, you can find me at the Dragonlance forum at The Piazza or the Taladas and Otherlands forum at The Piazza.)