Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do non-Magi worship the Moon Gods?

Aheal Vay Guest

Default Do non-Magi worship the Moon Gods?

Apologies if this question has already been asked, but...

As I've understood it, the Mages of of High Sorcery are the defacto clerics of the three Moon Gods. However, are Magi the only people that venerate them? It might seem a strange question considering that they're Gods of Magic, but I just had the idea that Lunitari might have a few favourites outside the towers. A wandering mecenary she might direct? Even one of those bedamned Kender in wanderlust...

Or if a thief finds a particularly potent (and vicious) magical item, might Nuitari look upon him with favour?

Just curious...My thanks

AV (Natural Lurker +3)

Excellent question, actually.

For the most part, the Wizards of High Sorcery are the ones revering the gods of magic. Magic is their domain, so it makes sense that only wizards would follow them.

The DLCS does mention that some sorcerers revere the moon gods as well, although they cannot gain power from the moon gods. I imagine some bards would also fall into this category.

Beyond that...I'm not sure.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

You also have to remember that most cultures on Ansalon distrust and fear magic to some degree, so the God would probably be viewed the same way.

I know that Solinari might be the exception as the cultures of "good" the elves and the Knighthood rever (if only in lipservice) him for being in the pantheon of good, but don't count him as one of the majors.
    Embellishment is the Bard's brush

well you can have worshipers of any god that do not derive power from them. Like not every priest of Mishakal is a Cleric with divine power. \

perhaps there are primal tribals that reveal the moons for their nightly hunts

It is possible for the Gods of Magic to favor an individual that is not a wizard, but the case is usually that they sense magical potential in that individual. They'll often watch over such individuals in hope to steer them to the path of arcane wizardry. Of course, it is just as likely they send someone of their order to try to convert said person.

Though for other cases beyond that, unless the person is harboring some important object of the deitiy such attention would not likely come. the Gods of Magic active attention is upon the preservation and spread of magic, mostly to their order if they can help it.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Well since this has been brought up, I've had some questions about this topic. In the old days (Tales of the Lance), the moon gods DID have clerics, but they had to be wizards first and pass the test. So somewhere along the lines, people decided that the moon gods could only grant arcane magic. Why so?

Takhisis provided both. I know she was a major deity, but would it really be so upsetting if the moon gods did have clerics who went out to spread the word to the people about the greatness of their gods? Clerics are much more likely to sway the positive reaction of the general populace than a wizard (unless you start casting spells...).

I hate to make comparisons with FR, but I feel this is warranted. Mystra has clerics and wizards. What makes her more able to do that than Krynn's gods of magic?

I know people will say it's your game, make it what you want, and I have. I use the same rules as in TotL, you have to be a wizard and pass your Test to see which god you will best serve, but why was this alteration made in the 3.5 version of DL?

I know DH said that magic is their domain and that only wizards would follow them...but why? If that were true, then since Kiri-Jolith is the god of justice and good fighters, shouldn't he have no clerics as well, just good fighter-type followers or paladins with their limited casting abilities? And Hiddikel (sp?) wouldn't have clerics, just greedy, cheating, lying, stealing followers (like Eddie Guerrero; sorry couldn't help it). You could come up with examples for all the gods probably, but I don't feel like doing that, I've rambled enough for now...
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

Well, probably one of the thing to think about is for DL what makes things notably different between clerics of magic and wizards? In FR the difference is heavily veiled due to massive multi-classing on some parts and other is due to the clerical order serves a purpose to the protection and spreading of the doctrine of magic. Unlike in DL, where much of that sort of position is dominated by the Order of High Sorcery who already fulfills that idea.

As the latest incarnation shows, the Gods of the Magic were the one to create and promote the usage of High Sorcery. Takhisis was able usurp this because she always wanted to do everything herself and she is an exemption to the concept. Most of the other deities are more dedicated to their doctrine and displaying their divine prescendent to have to bend down an infrastructure in order to generate their own arcane users. That and most of them hardly care a salt-lick about it.

The design philosophy under the current DL attempted to draw a line of distinction between the method and types of magic used and provided. Just because of another world does something in a different way does not mean it should directly be seen as a presidence for DL. Worlds handle things in different manners and these distinction often serve to differentiate them.

Often enough clerics are empowered individuals, more so with the whole domains concept, of the deities gaining a measure of power of the deities influence. So these agents can utilize such power to further their deitie's ideals. As things exist in DL, there is a narrow line between how to handle clerics and wizards in that regard for the gods of magic. But the style and flavor of clerics certainly would lead to contrast against the wizards of high sorcery since you can almost wonder why they don't just mesh the powers together. I'm not talking things like Mystic Theurge, but why not just on the start instead of mutual spellcasting increasement.

That and do we really want to know who is more connected with the gods of magic, the Wizard of the Cleric?

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Yes.
    See Dragon Day for more on this. It's the single best dragonlance novel ever written, and touches on this topic.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Is that one of the young readers novels?
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

Yup, just came out last March. So it is should be relatively in stock.

-SZ