Thread: Item question from KoD- SPOILERS!

Default Item question from KoD- SPOILERS!

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but the vagaries regarding the dragonlance at the end of the adventure are things my group keeps harping on, and they aren't sure how to handle the lance as a result. Here are some of the logistics of the item they are struggling with:

1- is it a footman's lance, or a dragonrider mounted lance? (dragonrider would make more sense since that is the type of lance Huma used to fell Takhisis)

2- What is the actual length of the lance?

3- is it correct to assume that the lance (if wielded in melee) has a reach, and if an opponent gets inside that reach, the wielder of the lance cannot attack with the lance?

4- I've heard rumors of this particular lance possibly having shape shifting properties (ie into a mace or axe or something when it was wielded by Kaz). Or can shift between footman to mounted. Are either of these true?

These questions are kinda important as it affects both how to properly carry the lance, how it affects combat, and if it can even be wielded in combat realistically.

It has the same properties and features of a lance from the Player's Handbook. It deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount. It must be used with two hands, and has 10' reach, but cannot be used to attack an adjacent foe. It can be used one-handed while mounted. It deals 1d8/x3 damage (so, if you use it on the back of a charging mount and score a critical hit, it deals x4 critical) and weighs about 5-6 lb (it's a magical lance).

It doesn't shapeshift into an axe or anything special. It's not a special mounted dragonrider's lance, although if you have the War of the Lance campaign sourcebook you can use the stats in there for a mounted dragonlance instead (but that makes using it without a mount a lot harder).

I don't recall how long it is, but it's the same length as any other lance. It was broken at one point, I believe, but now it's in one piece.

Cheers,
    Cam

vallon Guest

I believe on the novel he actually had both kind of lances with him one footman and one dragonrider(at least at some part of the book he had not sure when thought), but since the lance gives the guy a mounted combat feat i believe it is the rider one the adventure is refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by vallon
    I believe on the novel he actually had both kind of lances with him one footman and one dragonrider(at least at some part of the book he had not sure when thought), but since the lance gives the guy a mounted combat feat i believe it is the rider one the adventure is refering to.
    That might make sense, since I seem to remember after Huma struck Takhisis, Kaz came in and held the lance at the ready to do in Takhisis if she didn't swear to leave their plane. I would think a dragonrider or mounted lance would have been a bit unwieldly for him, but then again, it has been quite a while since I read that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks
    It has the same properties and features of a lance from the Player's Handbook. It deals double damage when used from the back of a charging mount. It must be used with two hands, and has 10' reach, but cannot be used to attack an adjacent foe. It can be used one-handed while mounted. It deals 1d8/x3 damage (so, if you use it on the back of a charging mount and score a critical hit, it deals x4 critical) and weighs about 5-6 lb (it's a magical lance).

It doesn't shapeshift into an axe or anything special. It's not a special mounted dragonrider's lance, although if you have the War of the Lance campaign sourcebook you can use the stats in there for a mounted dragonlance instead (but that makes using it without a mount a lot harder).

I don't recall how long it is, but it's the same length as any other lance. It was broken at one point, I believe, but now it's in one piece.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Thanks again Cam. Your becoming a kind of online Astinus with your quick answers and august knowledge of the gaming world of Krynn.