Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Towers of High Sorcery Errata

Default Towers of High Sorcery Errata

Hi all!

This thread is for any errors that you may have found in the TOWERS OF HIGH SORCERY supplement which you'd like to submit to our list. This thread isn't for discussion of errors or errata, except in cases where clarification or even correction of whether something is an error or misprint or not is needed.

Also, before you submit an item, PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD. There is a very good chance somebody else may have posted it earlier.

We may eventually move this thread to another forum under Gaming, but for now I'm going to keep it stickied up here. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Cam

Jenna has HD but no hit points listed. It goes hp ;

Page 79, War of Souls: It says year 419 AC is the year 38 SC. It needs to be year "421 AC."

383 + 38 = 421

Seriously though...this is the 3rd book that has this mistake. I think, someone really needs to fix it in whatever the "master timeline" is...or whatever the writers are using to keep continuity between books...'cause it's wrong. :(
    Last edited by Arek Brimstone; 09-15-2004 at 04:17 PM.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

"And the words that you fear,
    Will always be, the words you hear." - Collective Soul, "How Do You Love"

In Chapter 4: The Towers: Wayreth, the First Tower: Second and Third Ages it states that after Wayreth the wizards decided to build four more towers to "correspond to the four cardinal directions." Palanthas - North, Daltigoth - West, Qim Sadri/Losarcum - South, Istar - East. Well...I don't know who wrote this...but either they don't have an understanding of the cardinal directions, or they were looking at a map of Ansalon I've never seen before. Daltigoth is furth south than the Ruins are...but neither of them are centralized (not even Palanthas is central)...which if they were to correspond to "cardinal points"...that's where they'd need to be. Shoot...Wayreth is more south than both....and Istar is only a 20 miles east of the Ruins. Not very cardinal...

Aside from that, the book contradicts itself. In Chapter 3: History of High Sorcery: Establishment of the Orders of High Sorcery it states, "the orders originally planned to build seven towers." It also states, "Each Tower was built upon a location of natural power. It took the Orders many years to scry the perfect locations for their towers."
    Last edited by Arek Brimstone; 09-28-2004 at 03:04 PM.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Chapter 4: The Towers: Wayreth, the First Tower: Second and Third Ages says Palanthas was originally "Bright Horizon."

Chapter 3: History of High Sorcery: Establishment of the Orders of High Sorcery says Palanthas was originally "Bright Hope."
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Chapter 4: The Towers: Wayreth Forest states that the trick to the forest is that it is a powerful illusion that must be maintained every month.

Chapter 4: Forest of Wayreth (sidebar) states that the forest and the Tower are actually in a seperate dimension.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Chapter 5: The Test: Crafting a Test of High Sorcery: Testing Grounds it talks about the "Testing Grounds." It specifically states Wayreth's Testing Grounds are outside the tower, and extend into the forest (ala Legends).

Chapter 4: Wayreth, the First Tower: Description it says the "Testing Levels" are the middle floors in the south tower (ala the original Soulforge and The Atlas).
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Chapter 4: Wayreth, the First Tower: Age of Mortals it's a little unclear where it states "a year later, Palin led the remaining wizards out of Wayreth, leaving it to the Master alone." But we know for sure (TLT aside) that Palin (and the Shadow Sorcerer) visited the Master at least until 33 SC.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Towers of High Sorcery has many contradictions. There are several retcons of previous gaming material...and it appears that not all authors were informed of this. Which would be alright, but the editing did not compensate for this.

The book, generally speaking, suffers from the lack of being written in a "single voice." No...better yet, (as that would be hard to achieve) it suffers from not having a "single vision."

Contradictions with previous books, retcons, changes, expanded explinations, all these things one can look over (some may even welcome them). But the worst thing for a book (something that I would consider "unacceptable" even) like this is for it to contradict itself, which ToHS has done on several occasions.

My main suggestion (if anyone even cares) would be that these books need a few things:

1) A proofreader with enough knowledge of Dragonlance to be able to recognize a contradiction with a previous product when they see it, and be able to be aware of contradictions within the single product (this will never happen if the whole book is not proofread all at the same time).

2) Said proofreader would need the authority to make the changes themselves. Or at the very least, have a direct line to the editor and the editor will actually listen to the proofreader (and consequently do something about it) when they've caught something.

I'm sorry if it's seems rather presumptuous of me to make suggestions. I'm just trying to help and only have the wanting to make these DL products the best they can be, at heart.
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone
    I'm sorry if it's seems rather presumptuous of me to make suggestions. I'm just trying to help and only have the wanting to make these DL products the best they can be, at heart.
    All suggestions and feedback are taken very seriously, Brim, that's why this area of the message boards is here! Do understand however that Sovereign Press is a small company, and in fact anybody working with them (whether as a writer, artist, editor, proofreader, or designer) has a direct line to them. When I am writing freelance assignments, I have a direct line to Jamie and Sean, and can communicate freely with other folks working on the book. Editors do their best to correct problems of content, and proofreaders do their best to address issues of grammar & spelling. While the two aren't mutually exclusive, this is generally the case.

Also, remember that the final word on what does or doesn't maintain continuity with the current line of thinking in the setting is WOTC, and the licensees that act in WOTC's stead. Having somebody outside of that often brings with it additional problems that don't need to be discussed here. All in all, I think it's a workable arrangement that solves many more problems than will be noticed in the final publication, so don't worry! The best interests of the setting and the property, and ultimately the fans and gamers, are placed ahead of everything else.

And keep posting that errata!

Cheers,
    Cam