Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Lance Errata

FavouredEnemy Guest

The Kern section talks repeatedly about OgrEbend, which I can only presume is actually referring to Ogrebond. Using the map on p149 of DLCS, this place is turn is called 'Ogerbond', which is either a mistake on that map, and needs to be added to DLCS errata, or the WotL book has multi-errers regarding the damned place.

Failing that, OgrEbend needs to be added to the map.

Also, someone please tell Tracy Hickman that town/village names are created before region names, and so rather than have capital 'Kernen' and region 'Kern', 'Bloten' and 'Blode', 'Throtl' and 'Throt', it would be the other way round. I wouldn't necessarily relate this to TH, except he did it with Ravenloft stuff as well (Mordentshire as capital of Mordent). It's not just Ogres/Hobgoblins. It might be American, though, as regions were created in America the same time as the settlements. I've not looked at Bronze Canticles to see if he does it there as well.

I'd also like to ask why statted NPCs are frequently gifted with random magical items that were never mentioned in the books. For example, Tas has a magical hoopak. What kind of crazy wizard would go around making magical hoopaks? Immediately after Xak Tsaroth, Goldmoon has a magic quarterstaff.

In the Age of Darkness history bit, Pax Tharkas is repeatedly referred to as 'Pax Thrakas'.

All spellcasters have 'all' 0 level spells in their spellbooks. As there are an infinite number of 0 level spells, and each take up a half page, all these spellcasters are assumed to have infinite spellbooks.

In the description of the recovery of the Hammer of Kharas, a reference is made to the 'Helm of Grallen', without there being any description of the item.

Solace references say that vallenwood trees grow nowhere else on Krynn/Ansalon. There's one well known one in the Plains of Dust, the Grandfather Tree.

The Knight of Solamnia variant prestige class doesn't take into account (or seem to take into account) becoming a knight of the sword or rose after 1st level knight of crown or after 4th level of knight of the sword. That said, there is also no (mechanical) reason to remain a knight of the sword after 4th level, unless you particularly want a second smite evil/day or might of honour as opposed to the many, many other things you can gain out of rose knight.

The line 'Thus, in the Age of Despair, the abilities of the Knights of Solamnia are considerably diminished' in the variant prestige class sidebar is also clearly false, unless you are happy to admit that this is an unbalanced prestige class. A non-spellcasting KoS should be able to best a similarly levelled spellcaster character in at least some circumstances.

Fewmaster Toede has also been given far too few levels, and does not have the 'half-god' template added to his character.

TaftButtonwillow Guest

Default Knightly changes

On page 253 (chapter 6: Personalities), Lord Alfred Markenin is listed as the "High Justice," and is only given levels of Fighter and Sword Knight.
    -Shouldn't he have levels of Crown Knight, as this is a requirement for Sword Knight.
    -Seconly, he shouldn't hold the tilte of "High Justice," as this is the leader of the Rose Knights (see structure below). "High Clerist" was the leader of the sword knights, though noone held this title since before the cataclysm (High Clerist Yarus was the last, his ghost still haunts the High Clerist Tower), Alfred may have picked this title (High Clerist) up after learning of the gods of light and devoting Himself to Kiri-Jolith, at some point during the war, but held "Lord of the Knights of the Sword" until that point

The knights of Solamina were organized as followsThis was established by Vinas Solamnus) The Grand Master rules over all of the Knights of Solamnia, below him is the High Justice (Knight of the Rose, and a symbol of Honor), High Clerist (Knight of the Sword, Wisdom), and High Warrior (Knight of the Crown, Loyalty).

These were the official titles in previous dragonlance references, though official errata may have changed, and Alfred Markenin could have been given the Title for some reason, though I believe Lord Gunthar held the title before becomming Grand Master (Derek Crownguard also sought this position).

Anyways, truly enjoying the book (finally got a copy-last one at the game store),

Taft

TaftButtonwillow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FavouredEnemy
    I'd also like to ask why statted NPCs are frequently gifted with random magical items that were never mentioned in the books. For example, Tas has a magical hoopak. What kind of crazy wizard would go around making magical hoopaks? Immediately after Xak Tsaroth, Goldmoon has a magic quarterstaff.
    Tasslehoff (originally named Kalin) actually did have a magical hoopak, but don't know who made it (was it Uncle Trapspringer's?). Most of the other characters, were originally listed with magical items; Goldmoon carried a magical quarterstaff, and it was Riverwind who started with the Blue Crystal Staff. But this was according to the original adventures, not the novels.

In the description of the recovery of the Hammer of Kharas, a reference is made to the 'Helm of Grallen', without there being any description of the item.
    The "Helm of Grallen" was actually more of a quest item than an actual magical item. The helm had a single jewel that held the spirit of Prince Grallen. Grallen was a Hylar Prince who led the attack against Fistandantilus during the dwarfgate wars. He was killed by Fisty's spell that also desolated the plains of Dergoth. Though his body was destroyed, his spirit was captured in the gemstone set in the helm (a soulgem?). The helm was later recovered by the heroes when they ventured into Skullcap, and Grallen (through the helm) asked them to return the helm-and his spirit-to the Valley of Thanes in Thorbardin. The helm was later returned to Grallen's Memorial, and fused itself with a statue there. (I recently ran this adventure)

The helmet could be a magical item that is used like a majic jar spell upon contingency of death; but this is only speculation.

I agree with everything else you mentioned, though I haven't yet gone through the book in detail, but hope this helps.

Taft

Dominion of Ergoth, World Empire of Istar.

Fewmaster Toede has also been given far too few levels, and does not have the 'half-god' template added to his character.
    That whole half-god bit was a joke ...
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey-

This is in part a means of consolidating the original modules with the novels.

All spellcasters have 'all' 0 level spells in their spellbooks. As there are an infinite number of 0 level spells, and each take up a half page, all these spellcasters are assumed to have infinite spellbooks.
    All wizards start out with knowledge of all 0-level cantrips apart from those barred due to school specialization in D&D. See page 57 in the Player's Handbook.

The Knight of Solamnia variant prestige class doesn't take into account (or seem to take into account) becoming a knight of the sword or rose after 1st level knight of crown or after 4th level of knight of the sword. That said, there is also no (mechanical) reason to remain a knight of the sword after 4th level, unless you particularly want a second smite evil/day or might of honour as opposed to the many, many other things you can gain out of rose knight.
    Many do not qualify to become Rose knights, whether it's because they fail to meet game requirements or because they aren't able to do so within the context of roleplay.

Knights did not have an unlimited opportunity to advance into the other Orders in DLA, which is partly the model for the single-classed KoS variant. You either move into the Order of the Sword at 2nd level or you commit to the Order of the Crown. The same applies to the transition from Sword to Rose knight.

Toede is neither half-god (which is a joke) nor is he anything more than fewmaster in the writeup provided. These are his statistics at the point of the Companion's first involvement with him in Abanasinia.

Cheers,
    Cam

FavouredEnemy Guest

That whole half-god bit was a joke ...
    Toede is neither half-god (which is a joke) nor is he anything more than fewmaster in the writeup provided.
    *blink blink*
    *facepalm*

Solamnicboy Guest

Default WotL Setting Map

My apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I am new to this site and didn't notice anything in this particular section. What happened to the map that was promised with the War of the Lance campaign setting? It was something I was really looking forward to, as the Dragonlance setting book didn't include one. Is there a possibility that Sovereign Press may publish maps for sale separately in the future? If so, I'd be very interested in that.
    The only other thing I've noticed are minor things like extra and missing punctuation in the book, but with such a large book I guess it's easy to miss things.
    I'm enjoying all of the products though, keep up the good work.

afterlife Guest

Default tasselhoff

his writeup doesnt show how much rolled-up HP Tasslehoff has... just shows, ;hp;

If you go with the average HP ((5.5 x 5) + 6 + 12) he should have about 35 hp. But I noticed that a lot of the HotL (and others) are really getting short changed on their hit points in that section. What's the deal? Am I just missing something?
    Tobin Melroy
    aka Arek Brimstone

"And the words that you fear,
    Will always be, the words you hear." - Collective Soul, "How Do You Love"

According to the variant rules for Knights of Solamnia, it would seem to be very difficult for knights without cleric levels to meet the Will saving throw requirement (a+4 bonus, I believe) for the Order of the Sword. Is this qualification also to be removed? Also do spellcasting levels for Sword and Rose knights stack with those from other divine spellcasting classes for the purpose of caster level ?