Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: War of the Lance Errata

Default Master Class - masterwork craft items vs. magic items

Just curious as I have not been able to find it elsewhere, but if a Master creates a weapon of better than +1, (e.g., weapon of glory which has a +4) what happens to its bonus if it is used in creating a magic weapon?

Morien

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    Just curious as I have not been able to find it elsewhere, but if a Master creates a weapon of better than +1, (e.g., weapon of glory which has a +4) what happens to its bonus if it is used in creating a magic weapon?

Morien
    They are both enhancement bonuses, so they don't stack and the higher one is applied. This is the case with masterwork weapons that get crafted into +1 weapons in the core rules; the +1 to attack is still there, but it's been trumped by a +1 to attack and damage. Were the weapon to be brought into an anti-magic field, it would still give a +1 to hit (from the masterwork).

So, if you tried creating a +1 sword out of a sword of glory +4, it won't do anything different. The +4 is a much better bonus.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Default Masterwork vs magic; additional question on masterwork skill items

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks View Post
    They are both enhancement bonuses, so they don't stack and the higher one is applied. This is the case with masterwork weapons that get crafted into +1 weapons in the core rules; the +1 to attack is still there, but it's been trumped by a +1 to attack and damage. Were the weapon to be brought into an anti-magic field, it would still give a +1 to hit (from the masterwork).
    I agree with this part, but...

So, if you tried creating a +1 sword out of a sword of glory +4, it won't do anything different. The +4 is a much better bonus.

Cheers,
    Cam
    But, if one does pursue this, and take that weapon of glory and have it crafted as a +2, would not the weapon get the +2 damage, but not any additional to hit as the masterwork is superior?

A second question: How much does one charge for the creation of items that give bonuses to skills? I'm thinking the same as weapons, but wanted to get more input.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Morien View Post
    But, if one does pursue this, and take that weapon of glory and have it crafted as a +2, would not the weapon get the +2 damage, but not any additional to hit as the masterwork is superior?
    Correct. Masterwork weapons typically only apply their bonus to attack, so a weapon of glory that's been made into a +2 weapon is +4 to hit and +2 damage. And counts as magical for damage resistance, etc etc.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

A quick search and lookaround didn't tell me anything about this, but I still have a feeling that I've seen the answer somewhere. In area 26 Lost Tomes in the Lyceum adventure, three blessed books are mentioned and that their usefulness is readily apparent to any wizard even though they didn't include any spells. What does these books do?
    I, Magus

"However, when it comes to the heroes, the player characters and their opponents, Krynn has the same level of magic as the Realms or Greyhawk." - Cam Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Solosan View Post
    A quick search and lookaround didn't tell me anything about this, but I still have a feeling that I've seen the answer somewhere. In area 26 Lost Tomes in the Lyceum adventure, three blessed books are mentioned and that their usefulness is readily apparent to any wizard even though they didn't include any spells. What does these books do?
    Maybe its referring to the 3 minor artifact tomes from the Towers of High Sorcery book.
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

In Dragons of Autumn pg 160, Verminaard is listed as cleric 8 / fighter 2 / dragon highlord 2.
    In War of the Lance pg 286, Verminaard of Nidus is listed as cleric 8 / dragon highlord 2.

I'm currently running a party of DragonLance newbies through DoA (as of last night they're about to enter Skullcap), and after they gimped Verminaard with a silencing arrow, I discovered that he has absolutely no ranks whatsoever in Spellcraft in either book. A bit odd for a cleric, don't ya think?

I had to spontaneously give him the Silent Spell feat to keep the party from completely railroading him. :P
    Twist Rolarian
    Steel Dragon 5 / Wizard 7 / Black Robe 10

Dragons of Autumn trumps the War of the Lance sourcebook when it comes to stats for the NPCs in the module. It was also written later.

As for Verminaard's lack of Spellcraft ranks? He's not really into the theory so much as the swift and brutish application of it. You don't need to know how spells work to be able to smash a hole in something with your big divine mace.

Cheers,
    Cam

As for Verminaard's lack of Spellcraft ranks? He's not really into the theory so much as the swift and brutish application of it. You don't need to know how spells work to be able to smash a hole in something with your big divine mace.
    Good point. :P
    Twist Rolarian
    Steel Dragon 5 / Wizard 7 / Black Robe 10