Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post
Thanks. Paladine as Valthonis was too much of a wild card to remain in play, and I wanted there to be some reason for a long term cease-fire between Palanthas and Solamnia to hold until the acceptance of the two powers as two separate political entities. Having the High Clerist's Tower be simply too sacred to attack meant that you couldn't just hurl troops and cannons at the city until it collapsed. Plus, Paladine would work as the archetype of the sleeping king, resting in a healing sleep until Takhisis returns.
In this case a "Sleeping God". I was never a big fan of Paladine demoted into Valthonis thing. Your idea is better and would concider "borrowing" it if I came back to AoM Dragonlance.

Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post
Actually, I have three grandmasters as well. The Grandmaster of the Knights of Solamnia is the Emperor. The Grandmaster of the Sovereign Order of the Whitestone rules over Sancrist (a nod to the Sovereign Order of Malta). Finally, there is the anti-Grandmaster of the Knights of Solamnia who basically is the head of a secret society who seeks to keep the ancient traditions alive, sort of like all those cults and secret societies who claim they are the true Knights Templar in our own world.
Whenever Solamnic knights and Sancrist come up I always think of the Knights of Malta (world's oldest surviving chivalric order), who helped stop the growth of Ottoman power in the Western Mediterranean. They ruled Malta until 1798, when a certain be emporer-to-be kicked them off the island.