Thread: Kender Infuriating Taunt in 5th Edition

Lightbulb Kender Infuriating Taunt in 5th Edition

I'm planning to run Dragonlance using D&D 5th edition rules, but I'm unhappy with the taunt ability from 1st Edition or most of the online homebrew rules.
    I want something that doesn't just automatically force combat attacks (imagine your character being subject to a taunt) and I want it to mesh well with 5th edition mechanics.
    My goal is to replicate something similar to the 1st edition rules (AC penalty, attack penalty) but do so in a way that compells the target to attack rather than outright forcing them to. As a result I created a new combat condition called INFURIATED that can be used for all sorts of things besides Kender taunts.

I welcome any feedback.

Kender (use same racial archetype as Halfling Lightfoot subrace).
    A player of a Kender character may choose to replace the Naturrally Stealthy feature with the Kender Infuriating Taunt ability (racial proficiency in Charisma Intimidation[Taunt]) skill.

Infuriating Taunt - Kender may single out a creature that can see or hear them to taunt as a standard action. Maintaining the taunt requires concentration (as such only one creature may be effected at a time). If the Kender succeeds a Charisma Intimidation[Taunt] check contested by the target's Wisdom Insight check the target creature becomes infuriated while concentration on the taunt is maintained. The taunt check is at disadvantage if the target does not understand the language the Kender speaks. It is impossible to taunt creatures that cannot detect the Kender's presence.
    Starting on the second round of being infuriated, the target may make a Wisdom saving throw DC 8+the Kender's Charisma Intimidation[Taunt] skill bonus to end the infuriated effect. The creature's allies may use a standard help action to give it advantage on the roll if they make a successful Wisdom Insight DC15 check. Creatures that have successfully avoided or ended the effect of a taunt targeted at themselves are at advantage on all contested rolls and saving throws against future taunts for the remainder of the encounter.

Infuriated Condition
    * Infuriated creatures are compelled to attack or otherwise harm the source(s) of the infuriation(s). Infuriated creatures are at disadvantage on any attacks or ability checks unless directed at a source of infuriation. Also any saving throws against harmful spells or abilities made by infuriated creatures are at advantage unless the effect includes a source of infuriation.
    * Infuriated creatures are compelled to pursue the source of infuriation without distraction or tactical forethought. Movement not made directly towards a source of infuriation (by the shortest possible route) is halved - treated as difficult terrain.
    * Infuriated creatures are distracted from defending themselves. All attacks against infuriated creatures have advantage. Infuriated creatures may not take the standard dodge action.
    GMs: Note that infuriation is likely to trigger rage-like abilities in creatures that possess them.i
    Last edited by Jakob Lightbringer; 11-10-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Lightbringer View Post
    Kender (use same racial archetype as Halfling Lightfoot subrace).
    A player of a Kender character may choose to replace the Naturrally Stealthy feature with the Kender Enfuriating Taunt ability (racial proficiency in Charisma Intimidation[Taunt]) skill.

Enfuriating Taunt - Kender may single out a creature that can see or hear them to taunt as a standard action. Maintaining the taunt requires concentration (as such only one creature may be effected at a time). If the Kender succeeds a Charisma Intimidation[Taunt] check contested by the target's Wisdom Insight check the target creature becomes infuriated while concentration on the taunt is maintained. The taunt check is at disadvantage if the target does not understand the language the Kender speaks. It is impossible to taunt creatures that cannot detect the Kender's presence.
    Starting on the second round of being infuriated, the target may make a Wisdom saving throw DC 8+the Kender's Charisma Intimidation[Taunt] skill bonus to end the infuriated effect. The creature's allies may use a standard help action to give it advantage on the roll if they make a successful Wisdom Insight DC15 check. Creatures that have successfully avoided or ended the effect of a taunt targeted at themselves are at advantage on all contested rolls and saving throws against future taunts for the remainder of the encounter.
    I like the approach. I'll go with Charisma (Deception), though, if only for narrative purposes, and try to make it more powerful as the character increases levels, a higher DC perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Lightbringer View Post
    Infuriated Condition
    * Infuriated creatures are compelled to attack or otherwise harm the source(s) of the infuriation(s). Infuriated creatures are at disadvantage on any attacks or ability checks unless directed at a source of infuriation. Also any saving throws against harmful spells or abilities made by infuriated creatures are at advantage unless the effect includes a source of infuriation.
    * Infuriated creatures are compelled to pursue the source of infuriation without distraction or tactical forethought. Movement not made directly towards a source of infuriation (by the shortest possible route) is halved - treated as difficult terrain.
    * Infuriated creatures are distracted from defending themselves. All attacks against infuriated creatures have advantage. Infuriated creatures may not take the standard dodge action.
    GMs: Note that infuriation is likely to trigger rage-like abilities in creatures that possess them.
    A bit too powerful? This ability is going to be hard to adjust, I'll use low-level bard or Enchanment spells as a guide and build up from there.

Default Nerf the Kender!

I think allowing only one taunt per encounter (requiring a short rest) would reduce the power of the taunt. Perhaps allowing additional taunts at 5th, 11th, and 16th levels?
    The skill check and saving throw DC includes proficiency bonus, so the viability scales with level even if the effect doesnt.
    I definitely want the infuriation to be compelled by bonus/penaltys rather than forcing behavior, especially against PCs. So I think an Infuriated condition imposing advantage/disadvantage to replicate the desired effect is the right way to achieve that. Though im not sure how much is too much or too little.

I'd make it a Bonus Action and drop the Concentration metric. Let the Kender taunt a new enemy each round. Its not uncommon for a Kender to work up an entire crowd.

Advantage/Disadvantage is the equivalent of +/- 5. I would use the Bane/Bless spell as a model and have a d4 penalty on all d20 rolls instead.

I would also give the enemy a free save at the end of each turn to end the effect.