Thread: Thoughts from the Community

Default Thoughts from the Community

Hey Everybody!

This is my first time posting here but I am a long time DL fan and I am excited to contribute.

In regards to this post I would love to get some feedback from the community on a specific topic. About 10 years ago I ran my group through all 3 modules of the Age of Mortals Campaign. We played for about two years (which was the longest we had played one campaign as a group up until that point.) We managed to get all the way to the last fight with Gellidus where I committed a giant DM Faux Paus. During that fight I may have....accidentally...killed the whole group. Yes, I dropped a TPK on the whole group's collective head. I am not proud of it but the fight got away from me and it happened. Gellidus won.

Flash forward to now. For the first time the majority of that group is available and ready to play in a campaign. I will be running it and it will be our first 5th edition game ever. I have of course sworn to the group that I will never go back to the Age of Mortals campaign. Of course, that has been a lie. I really want to make this happen and have this be the group's return to Krynn and give them a chance to triumph were the once failed.

My question for the community is, "Has anybody had any experience or thoughts on what Krynn would like if Gellidus won at the end of Price of Courage?" I have some thoughts on it but I was hoping to get a little crowd sourcing in to help fill in the blanks. A few ideas that I have are this:

1) The campaign will be set about 150-200 years after that battle. I plan on giving Krynn a slight post apocalyptic/winter time vibe. The players are not very DL savvy and I plan to drop them in to my "home brewed" campaign world and let them start to figure it out.
    2) The ending for our version of "Price of Courage" was Gellidus attempting to ascend to Godhood using the skulls and his totem. I want to set it in such way where Gellidus has the power of a deity but hasn't attained official god status. Maybe the rest of the Pantheon is foiling his attempts in some way?
    3) Since the original campaign leaned heavily on major artifacts I want to continue that vibe. Specifically, I want to use the Device of Time Journeying to set up the end of the campaign to enable the players to go back in time to beat Gellidus before he finishes the ritual but after he has defeated the original players.

I would love to hear what other people think on this subject and thank you in advance for all of the feedback. Thanks everybody!

Why do you blame yourself for the TPK? The players played poorly, and the dice were against them. Unless you fudged your rolls, its no faux pas.

If your players made you swear not to go back to that campaign, why would you? I mean, you can judge better than me what their reaction will be, but Im guessing they want to play some fun D&D without worrying about some grand overarching plot you have planned. I mean, it sounds cool to me, but if its not what the players want to do, let them off the train!

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic_Commando View Post
    Flash forward to now. For the first time the majority of that group is available and ready to play in a campaign. I will be running it and it will be our first 5th edition game ever. I have of course sworn to the group that I will never go back to the Age of Mortals campaign. Of course, that has been a lie. I really want to make this happen and have this be the group's return to Krynn and give them a chance to triumph were the once failed.
    I think this part (emphasis mine) is the part give me makes me wary of the situation. One of my worries about any game is the player's trust of the DM. So those guys need to trust your story, and the if they can live with being fooled, then I think you're safe.

Alternatively, and I know this sucks, you may have to really make your 5e game a home brew.

But if I may make a suggestion, you've already made this a story about being on krynn, but in it's future. why not make your home brew a part of vast multiverse? Your krynn failed, and the damage of Gellidus as a god is spilling into your home brew world. As the new adventure progresses, let the players discover connection between that adventure and the TPK, and the invasion of a completely different world. Thus you keep your promise that it's not an AoM campaign. let the players discover that they have the choice, of saving their world by protecting it, or do the extra credit mission of going back and stopping Gellidus in the AoM campaign.

OH. I just had a huge idea. You could set the scenario like Star Trek: TNG's Yesterday's Enterprise. or Samurai Jack. Your heroes who were TPKed were sent to the future. They're alive, but the Krynn of the future is really crap. however, if they can get back in time, and intentionally TPK themselves, their sacrifice inspires new heroes to beat Gellidus. But it has to be inspiring deaths. Full of epicness. So they go away happy for the TPK. They go out on their own terms.

There's a home brew rule I have in my games. It's basically Epic Death = natural roll 20. If a player can make that character's death awesome, memorable, then their actions are always successful. I recommend you review anime Record of Lodoss War: OAV version. THere's a scene where the party must stop a archmage head circlet that possess a young woman. The party is getting their butts handed to them, but the dwarf Ghim, who feels personally responsible, takes an epic onslaught of magic, and flings a battle axe twice his size at the head of the young woman. Bam! just good enough to knock the circlet off her head without killing her. In D&D game terms, player called for a shot, a ranged attack using a battle axe to immediately subdue the wizardress to 0 HP and removing a magical item. Ghim died, but he died epic.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 10-29-2017 at 05:48 AM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Smile Lodoss Squee!

Off topic, I know but;
    Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Record of Lodoss War
    I loved this so much! It's a great scene and a really good end for the character. Makes me wish I had been at the table when it happened!
    /Off topic

Game on!
    Seriously; what's the point of being a minotaur if you're not going to skewer something, anything, on those beautiful horns....

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it.

First let me clarify something that in hindsight I didn't explain very clearly in my original post. Me lying about going back was originally prompted when the players expressed interest, years ago, about re-visiting the campaign. They have talked about going back and I have always told them that I don't want to go back. My intention has always been though to go back. My obfuscating for the players has only been because when we do go back I want it to be a surprise. However, I am very confident the players will enjoy it once the reveal happens.

Weldon, your advice to start it on another plane in the multi-verse is a good idea. I would still be able to run the things I have planned for early in the campaign but it would allow the reveal to potentially come later and I wouldn't have to put so many restrictions on character creation. I.E. no halflings.

Thanks again everyone and please keep the ideas coming.

This is the first time I've heard of Frost TPKing the party in Price of Courage! Makes me irrationally happy. I know that's kind of mean, but it is what it is.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Well, I was in a game that ran Price of Courage. All or near level 20 characters. With obscene amount of fire power. And my character, the monk enjoyed running into middle of the bad guys, and grapple the leader. As I recall, the White Robe elf could unleash empowers, enlarged, etc. etc meteor swarms. And with my Magic resistance, I was practically immune, while the grappled target loses reflex saves and takes full damage. Too bad we never finished the game. It ended right before we got to Gellidus.

Honestly, If I were the DM, Gellidus would have ripped his scale off of Gilthanas, killing the prince, tossing dead body against the lair wall (queue the sound effect of a fish hitting the counter sink.) and then place the scale on the my monk, controlling him. Now the team has to fight one of their own, who happens to be MR to the main damage dealer of the party.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of Frost TPKing the party in Price of Courage! Makes me irrationally happy. I know that's kind of mean, but it is what it is.

Cheers,
    Cam

Oh. Wow. I am pleasantly surprised by this post. Thanks Cam! Your comment makes complete sense and it didn't seem mean at all and when I get to the point in the game where the group figures out what is going on I definitely plan on sharing this post.