Thread: Unreleased/Canceled Products

Default Unreleased/Canceled Products

Does anyone know of any unreleased /canceled/etc. Products over the years?

The Taladas Sourcebook for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbauer View Post
    Does anyone know of any unreleased /canceled/etc. Products over the years?
    Well, there supposedly is an Elmore painting of Tika in a tub of some sort. Last I heard, Tracy Hickman has that painting, but Larry Elmore was asking about the whereabouts of that painting.

There was a Pick-a-path/CYOA/Harriquin book written by Laura Hickman. It was called The Heart of Goldmoon and it was about Goldmoon and her issues with falling in love with Riverwind. Laura and Tracy had a draft copy, edited by Margaret no less. Last I saw it was at RPG auctions. I don't know who bought it.

There was a Murder mystery novel, a second book like the Murder in Tarsis novel. It was called Murder in the Tower of High Sorcery. Coooooool name. But the series died before it could be officially released. Supposedly there's a manuscript running around.

Also, practically every novel has an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). The more infamous Dragons of a Vanished Moon with an appendix that goes into a whole lot of stuff about gods, the nature of magic both ambient and focused, and the nature of Ionthas, the mad god calling himself Father of All and Nothing, and Chaos.

There were two attempts to make a dragon flight simulator, in the same vein as Dragonstrike. I know because I was head of one of those two attempts. Mine never really went anywhere, it would still be your basic Flight Sim of a dragon and the dragonlance, but there'd be a SAGA based character mechanic the dragonrider. depending on the cards, you'd be more melee (i.e. dragonlance and melee attacks), or more missile (archers), mystic (healing your dragon, or yourself) and sorcery (magic missile, fireball, globes of invulnerability). And piloting flying citadels! I almost forgot about piloting those citadels!

The other also didn't make it, but they did retool the game engine with their own IP in stores.

The SAGA game design team had a giant arch planned out for 5th age Krynn, including a massive story arc involving Lord Soth building his own undead army, not unlike the undead army that would eventually become War of souls. Supposedly there's a giant map of the entire war, and a series of modules that would lead to the death of major Dragon Overlords. it's slightly similar to the War of Souls trilogy.

There was supposed to be two novels in the last of the Dragonlance Anvil of Time series that connects the whole set together. One was supposed to be written by a long-time fan, Jamie Chambers. I forget what part of history he was to write about. The last novel would be Tracy Hickman's, which is all about time travel, highlighing the temporal cold war on Krynn and the forces at work recording (or changing time).

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
    The Taladas Sourcebook for one.
    And that Taladas sourcebook.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 10-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I believe Frank Mentzer has admitted to pocketing that Tika painting. Not sure if he has since turned it over to someone else.

The only ARCs I have seen are DoaVM and Amber and Ashes. FYI the DoaVM hardcover also had the appendix, though one or two details were changed from the ARC.

Margaret Weis and Don Perrin were going to write a Taladas Trilogy. This was changed after the divorce. Taladas was given to Chris Pierson, and Margaret Weis wrote Dark Disciple.

Dragons of an Hourglass Mage was canceled but later uncanceled. I donít know the whole story, there.

After Knightís Sword and Flintís Axe, I hear there was supposed to be a third one called Humaís Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    The only ARCs I have seen are DoaVM and Amber and Ashes. FYI the DoaVM hardcover also had the appendix, though one or two details were changed from the ARC.
    That's Right! the arc appendix was penned by one of mishakal's clerics in Vanished Moon. In the published hardcover it was Valthonis, aka Paladine.

So, among ARCs, there's an original manuscripft of Dragons of Autumn Twilight. i think Talthanas has it. There's an arc to Soulforge. Talthanas has that one too. I have an ARC of Night of Blood. Abebooks has one up for sale right now. I have an ARC of Legacy of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    Margaret Weis and Don Perrin were going to write a Taladas Trilogy. This was changed after the divorce. Taladas was given to Chris Pierson, and Margaret Weis wrote Dark Disciple.

Dragons of an Hourglass Mage was canceled but later uncanceled. I don’t know the whole story, there.

After Knight’s Sword and Flint’s Axe, I hear there was supposed to be a third one called Huma’s Shield.
    Also I forgot about the Dragonlance Encyclopedia. hat was suppose to be a huge book all about every book in the dragonlance brand. Man. that takes me back. it was in the later days of TSR and the beginning of the Internet. We had this fanciful idea that fans and TSR can come together to re-read every book, create note on items, characters, and events and then publish it. But nowadays, we have the Lexicon.

At one time, TSR came out with their own pewter miniatures before Ral-Partha did it better, twice. That was Set1. There was a Set2, that had at least sivak. the first articles were made, and I once saw someone show pics of it and was about sell it on ebay after WotC bought out TSR and moved everyone to Washington.

And lastly there's a movie script for Dragonlance.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 10-04-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

We (Sovereign Press) were going to do an ambient magic sourcebook of some kind or another, bringing the sorcerers and mystics more fully into the game than they had been with the DLCS and Age of Mortals books, but we pretty much had done everything else.

I don't believe we ever seriously considered a Taladas sourcebook.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!