Thread: I have a copy of the Japanese Dragonlance Card Game...... does anyone read Japanese?

Default I have a copy of the Japanese Dragonlance Card Game...... does anyone read Japanese?

The title says it all.

I have a copy of the Japanese Dragonlance Card Game,

http://tsr.bothgunsblazing.com/jp/jp-cdd1.htm

So first, I need to verify that all the cards are in order. Does anyone else have a copy? I need to make a card list.

Second I have to face the moral dilemma, of breaking copyright to share images, so that a shared translation of the rules and playing cards can be made. If I do it myself, and keep the translation hidden, no crime no foul. But I really would like to share this rare product with more people. Heck, I'd love to see a copy of this card game up on DMsGuild.

Third, do the translation. Another moral dilemma. Google translate vs Human Translator. Actually it's a very complicated moral dilemna not unlike asking artists to do work for free, and sticking to the manned grocery checkout aisle to preserve jobs. I'll admit, Google Translate is the bomb. Have you seem their app. Point at something, use the camera, and it will VR a bad translation on the thing your pointing at. Holy geez! In real time! And it free! What's next? the universal translator/babel fish? Anyway I digress.

Fourth, and this really goes to the moderators. What's acceptable here? What's the fine line between sharing too much (and getting the thread closed) and bringing something new to dragonlance fans, many who don't even know it exists?

There goes my rambling.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I think you're fine, Weldon. It's not currently in print, and you aren't reproducing the images for monetary purposes.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    I think you're fine, Weldon. It's not currently in print, and you aren't reproducing the images for monetary purposes.
    Well, I've been thinking about this. Here's a good example of why I think it still breaks copyright. For the longest time, I've got a bunch of draconians in AD&D2 Monstrus compendium format in HTML files. Printing the html file is practically making a copy of what the draconian page would have looked like as if you got the original binder. And I posted my pages up for free.

Along comes the DMs Guild, who worked really hard to sell e-prints of the Monstrus Compendium. But they have to deal with the fact that everyone on the internet can get my Draconian pages for free, making it harder for them to sell their copy. Since they have the copyright, as given by WotC, which owns the right to all that old out of print stuff, they got screwed for every person who went to Weldon and his free stuff instead of paying for a DMs Guild copy.

It's the same situation with WotC/Shinwa and their out of print card game. It's still a slippery slope unless I do due diligence to find the right copyright holders, and get their permission.

On the other hand, if WotC and Shinwa really don't care, there is no injury. Until they find out.
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Heheh. I am however not above mis-using someone else's snapshot of the instructions.

It's just one page, but it's a start.
    http://www.tsrarchive.com/in/jp/jp-cdd1-book.jpg
    Fanwank

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    The title says it all.

I have a copy of the Japanese Dragonlance Card Game,

So first, I need to verify that all the cards are in order. Does anyone else have a copy? I need to make a card list.

Second I have to face the moral dilemma, of breaking copyright to share images, so that a shared translation of the rules and playing cards can be made. If I do it myself, and keep the translation hidden, no crime no foul. But I really would like to share this rare product with more people. Heck, I'd love to see a copy of this card game up on DMsGuild.

Third, do the translation. Another moral dilemma. Google translate vs Human Translator. Actually it's a very complicated moral dilemna not unlike asking artists to do work for free, and sticking to the manned grocery checkout aisle to preserve jobs. I'll admit, Google Translate is the bomb. Have you seem their app. Point at something, use the camera, and it will VR a bad translation on the thing your pointing at. Holy geez! In real time! And it free! What's next? the universal translator/babel fish? Anyway I digress.

Fourth, and this really goes to the moderators. What's acceptable here? What's the fine line between sharing too much (and getting the thread closed) and bringing something new to dragonlance fans, many who don't even know it exists?

There goes my rambling.
    As a lover of both Dragonlance and card games, I'd love to see these cards and instructions translated and ready to be printed and play with, but I'm not an admin and I'm not you, so I can't choose for you

All the best,

Felipe
    Writer, editor & translator / Escritor, editor y traductor

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Well, I've been thinking about this. Here's a good example of why I think it still breaks copyright. For the longest time, I've got a bunch of draconians in AD&D2 Monstrus compendium format in HTML files. Printing the html file is practically making a copy of what the draconian page would have looked like as if you got the original binder. And I posted my pages up for free.

Along comes the DMs Guild, who worked really hard to sell e-prints of the Monstrus Compendium. But they have to deal with the fact that everyone on the internet can get my Draconian pages for free, making it harder for them to sell their copy. Since they have the copyright, as given by WotC, which owns the right to all that old out of print stuff, they got screwed for every person who went to Weldon and his free stuff instead of paying for a DMs Guild copy.

It's the same situation with WotC/Shinwa and their out of print card game. It's still a slippery slope unless I do due diligence to find the right copyright holders, and get their permission.

On the other hand, if WotC and Shinwa really don't care, there is no injury. Until they find out.
    Trampas and I had a long research and discussion about copyright. If the item is out of print and the publisher is currently not using the product to make money, then there is no violation. If you find it on the DM's Guild, then obviously we can't use it. However, this so far out of left field, I am pretty sure you are fine.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Do they have a US copyright?

I wonder if it was an officially licensed product. Does it have the WOTC or TSR logos?

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    Do they have a US copyright?

I wonder if it was an officially licensed product. Does it have the WOTC or TSR logos?
    Yes it does have a 1989 Japanese Shinwa Corporation copyright as well as a 1989 TSR copyright. The box uses the Dragonlance Brand.

From my own research, Shinwa Corporation is a huge conglomerate with a book and game division who had the rights at the time to reprint D&D as well as their own modules and games. This card game must have been a apart of that deal.

Here's a pic from the last page of the instruction book with the copyright.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5l...ew?usp=sharing
    Fanwank

Well, here's the instructions as I've translated it using Google, and what smattering of Japanese I have from watching/translating Way too much anime. Take it with a grain of salt.

if any of you know Japanese, please help me.
    Original sources: Page 1
    Page 2
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5l...ew?usp=sharing

Code:
    The game can be played by 2-7 people, but playing with about 3-5 players is best. 

1.  Purpose of the game: 
    	In order to beat the Dark Queen Takhisis, the player must gather character cards and Good Dragon cards to increase his or her strength.  However, the player must also gather Draconian cards, Evil Dragon cards to reduce the strength of other players.  
    	The player, who defeats Takhisis using his strength in the final battle, wins.

2.  Card types: 
    	There are basically three kinds of cards as follows:
    	Cards used to defeat the Dark Queen Takhisis.
    	Cards used to disturb other players.
    	Neutral cards.
    	There are 108 cards in this game.
    Lactar card (Triangle Blue x 14)
    Battle cards, Good Forces
    	Good Dragon card (triangle blue x 10)
    	Solamnic Order card (green x 6)
    	Infantry card (green x 4)
    	Elf Corps card (green x 3)
    	Dwarf card (green × 1)
    	Kender card (green × 1)
    	Pegasus card (green × 2)
    	Gryphon card (green × 2)
    Battle Cards, Evil Forces
    	Evil Dragon card (triangle gray × 15)
    	Draconian card (triangle gray × 10)
    	Hobgoblin card (triangle gray × 4)
    	Dragon Highlord card (triangle gray × 6)
    Item Card
    	Staff of Magius card (triangle green x 1)
    	Shield of Huma card (triangle green x 1) 
    	Hammer of Kharas  (triangle green x 1)
    	Dragonlance card (triangle green × 5)
    	Dragon orb card (triangle green × 3
    Takhisis Card
    	Takhisis Card (5)
    	Skip card (purple x 2)
    	Reverse card (purple x 2)

Egg’s Secret card (purple x 2)
    	Evil Priest (Wyrllish) card (purple x 1)
    	Evil Mage (Dracart) card (purple x 1)
    Event Card
    	Master Thief card (yellow x 2)
    	Assassin card (yellow x 2)
    Special Card
    	Fizban card (Star-shaped yellow/green card x 1)
    	Lord Soth card (Star-shaped yellow/green card x 1)
    	Everman Berem card (Star-shaped yellow/green card x 1)

3.  Card Descriptions: 
    	The numerical value written on the card is the fighting power of that card.  The higher the value the stronger the card.
    	Values of good white powers are only used for the final battle with Takhisis. The value is 0 in normal battle.
    	The numbers of the black color of the good power are used for both normal battles and the final battle with Takhsis.
    	Cards with two numbers, white and black, will only use the power of white numbers in the final battle.
    	Those marked with a “+” can give bonus strength to the designated card when using it simultaneously with the specified card.  If there are multiple targets, all the cards can earn bonus fighting power.
    	Example: Laurana’s strength is 2. This is a white number, so it is used only in the final battle with Takhsis.  
    	Also, bonus forces of +3 for Tanis and +1 for the Order are added.  If the player plays the Laurana card, the Tanis card (strength 2), or the Order card (strength 6) will rise 5 (2+3) and 7 (6+1). However, since the strength of Tanis is a white number, in normal battle the strength remains at 0.

4.  Play Preparations: 
    	Parent players are decided. Except for the 12 open cards, shuffle the rest of the cards (mix well). Distribute 5 pieces to each to the participating players.  When you give out the cards, add the open cards you left out. Shuffle again and place the remaining cards in the center of the battlefield as a deck (stockpile card).  
    	To simplify the procedure, shuffle all cards. 

 
    You can redistribute. If there is an open card, return it to the remaining cards and redistribute it for that card.
    	Start playing clockwise from the player next to the parent.

5.  How to Play the Game:
    	(1) Draw a card.
    	The player draws a card from the stock card.
    	(2) When it is an open card
    	If the drawn card is an open card, put that card in the center of the battlefield without adding it to your hand and follow the instructions of the card.
    	(3) For cases other than the open cards
    	If the drawn card is not an open card, put that card in your hand and play another card.  At the end of play, you must always have 5 or fewer cards.  If there are 6 or more cards, you must discard the extra cards as baile (stack them next to the stock card) as a discarded card.
    	(4) End of Play
    	When you obey the instructions of an open card, or play streak with another card, it means that play has ended. And we will move on to the next player.

6.  Play:
    	(1) Type of Play
    	Depending on the card you use, the next player can play
    		(a) Open a character card.
    		(b) Add a battle card to a character card.
    		(c) Attack a character card of another player using an evil battle card. 
    		(d) Remove attacking battle cards using good battle cards (including item cards).
    	 	(e) Use event cards (including Fizban card). 
    		(f) Pass.
    	(2) Conditions of Play
    	Players cannot use battle cards for other players unless at least one character card is open at hand. Also you cannot add a battle power to a character card. However, event cards (including Fizban card) can be used.
    	Players who do not open their character cards will receive significant restrictions on their play in the order they are playing.
    	If there are six cards and you cannot play, you have to pile one extra card. Players can freely select cards to discard.
    		(3) Character Cards 
    	It is the center card of the game. A single player can also open two or more character cards.  In that case, you must clearly indicate which character cards and battle cards (to be described later) are attached to which character cards. 
    	Place character cards vertically and put cards to add next to them.
    	(4) Battle Cards 
    	In battle cards, there are forces that represent good and forces that represent evil. 
    a. Add a battle card
    You can add only one battle card representing good power next to you already open character card in your turn. In that case, the fighting power of the character card will be the sum of the battle power o
    Fanwank