Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragonlance Adventures update/errata?

To further comment on your idea; I did run many B/X games set in Dragonlance, both during pre-War Ansalon (in the 330-350 time period) and during the Age of Might before the Third Dragonwar. It worked very well in both cases.
    I also didn't care about providing more classes, but simply used the standard 7 classes. One of the strengths and reasons (IMO) of using B/X over AD&D is the overall simplicity of the game. So in my games:

- Elves are Qualinesti Elves, the less insular species (Elven adventurers are much like Gilthanas.) Interactions between humans and elves make half-elves so rare that they are effectively relegated to NPC status (if they are ever met.)

- Dwarves are Hill Dwarves.

- Halflings are Kender. Not all Kender need be thieves (rules-wise); their "handling" can be quite simply roleplayed as extreme curiosity (or if you need some mechanical support, their Hide ability can work in a pinch; they simply "pick" stuff while no one can see them). As an option you might give them the Taunt and Immunity to fear abilities described in DL1. The Hoopak has the same stats as a Staff, but can also throw rocks as a Sling.

- Clerics may be dedicated to a deity, but in broader terms they worship the whole pantheon: the gods of Light if they are Lawful; the gods of Darkness if they are Chaotic; the gods of Neutrality if they are Neutral. In pre-War Ansalon, a PC Cleric would be one dedicated mainly to Mishakal, as it's known that she secretly entered the world (like it happened in Taladas.) For a neutral Cleric, I'd allow discovery of Chislev. If Chaotic, it would be Takhisis. In any case, the PC Cleric (if Lawful or Neutral) would possibly be the only one (or one of a handful).

- Magic-users are also classified according to their alignment if they decide to join an Order: White Robes if they are Lawful; Red Robes if they are Neutral; Black Robes if they are Chaotic.

- Fighters and Thieves would be the most common adventuring professions.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    If you want to build new racial classes in B/X D&D-style, have a look at the Players' Companion book for "Adventurer, Conqueror, King System". Actually, as a game system rather than Labyrinth Lord, I'd suggest ACKS. It is a re-imagining of B/X D&D, but it adds elements from the later BECMI revision. It compresses the whole "life" of an adventurer in 14 levels (note that spellcasters can do spell research starting at 5th level), and includes everything you could possibly need to design a campaign; it contains lots of sub-systems for building a sandbox campaign, from the design of settlements, to domains and armies. It also has a very simple and complete skills system (which works way better than AD&D2e's NWPs, or the Rules Cyclopedia's General Skills.) All in all, I'd say it's the best of the host of retroclones out there, since it actually does add things to the original material.

I designed a Gnome class for Dragonlance a few years ago; it's a sort of "adventuring tinker", in the same vein as the other demihuman classes. It is basically a fighting type, but it has some thief skills which are used for "tinkering". Note I used OD&D's dwarf modifiers to the thief skills to model their aptitude with mechanical devices. It has been thoroughly playtested, so you can use it at the table straight away

- Ability requirements: Constitution 9

- Prime requisite: Dexterity (Dex 13-15: +5% XP; Dex 16+: +10% XP)

- Use Dwarf XP table

- Saving throws and attacks as Dwarf of same level

- Hit dice d6 (+2 hit points/level after 9th level)

- Weapon size limitation as Halfling

- Set spear vs. charge attack

- Detection ability as Dwarf

- Infravision 90 feet

- -2 AC bonus against larger than man-sized opponents

- Open Locks (+5%), Find and Remove traps (+15%) as a Thief of the same level.

- Languages: common, gnome, dwarf, kobold, goblin
    Thanks for your response! I looked at ACKS a long time ago, but now I'll come back with fresh eyes. The one thing I've already lifted for my current LL campaign are the Mortal Wounds rules/tables.

Regarding the Gnomes, I'd love to have a Tinkerer Gnome class maybe based upon Dragonlance Adventures, although hopefully not as complicated as that version! xD Otherwise, I've no interest to include Gnomes as option for Heroes/Adventurers. Still, I'll consider your write up if I can't find and/or write something closer to that

All the best,

Felipe
    Writer, editor & translator / Escritor, editor y traductor

Regarding Knights of Solamnia, assuming you want some rules that describe the progression in the Knighthood (and you play in an era in which Knights have clerical powers) a possible solution is:
    1- start as a Knight of the Crown/Cleric (as suggested by Falconer) then
    2- "switch" class to Knight of the Sword/Fighter (using the "Changing Character Class" guidelines in OD&D), if they have a Strength 16; thus any spells they get as Knights of the Sword, are those they got as Clerics to begin with.
    3- If they have a Charisma 17, then they may become Knights of the Rose/Paladins (again, using OD&D guidelines in the Greyhawk supplement which describe Paladins simply as Lawful Fighters with Cha 17.)

Clearly, in an era in which no magical healing exists, the only viable option for a Solamnic Knight is being a Fighter, which is what happens during the Age of Despair.
    Well, I know the simple solution is just to turn the Knights of Solamnia into an organization that includes other classes, I feel the concept gets diluted a little. I'd love to turn the 3-classes-in-1 in Dragonlance Adventures into 1 B/X-LL class for humans (and half-elves after the War), one which emphasizes the Knights values and training. In my mind, KoS should be an elite fighter more worried about holding up Law and protecting the weak. I don't why, but I seem them more like Balian and the "good" Knights in Kingdom of Heaven than anything else, especially during the Age of Despair.

To further comment on your idea; I did run many B/X games set in Dragonlance, both during pre-War Ansalon (in the 330-350 time period) and during the Age of Might before the Third Dragonwar. It worked very well in both cases.
    I also didn't care about providing more classes, but simply used the standard 7 classes. One of the strengths and reasons (IMO) of using B/X over AD&D is the overall simplicity of the game. So in my games:

- Elves are Qualinesti Elves, the less insular species (Elven adventurers are much like Gilthanas.) Interactions between humans and elves make half-elves so rare that they are effectively relegated to NPC status (if they are ever met.)

- Dwarves are Hill Dwarves.

- Halflings are Kender. Not all Kender need be thieves (rules-wise); their "handling" can be quite simply roleplayed as extreme curiosity (or if you need some mechanical support, their Hide ability can work in a pinch; they simply "pick" stuff while no one can see them). As an option you might give them the Taunt and Immunity to fear abilities described in DL1. The Hoopak has the same stats as a Staff, but can also throw rocks as a Sling.

- Clerics may be dedicated to a deity, but in broader terms they worship the whole pantheon: the gods of Light if they are Lawful; the gods of Darkness if they are Chaotic; the gods of Neutrality if they are Neutral. In pre-War Ansalon, a PC Cleric would be one dedicated mainly to Mishakal, as it's known that she secretly entered the world (like it happened in Taladas.) For a neutral Cleric, I'd allow discovery of Chislev. If Chaotic, it would be Takhisis. In any case, the PC Cleric (if Lawful or Neutral) would possibly be the only one (or one of a handful).

- Magic-users are also classified according to their alignment if they decide to join an Order: White Robes if they are Lawful; Red Robes if they are Neutral; Black Robes if they are Chaotic.

- Fighters and Thieves would be the most common adventuring professions.
    I was already using some of those same rules, but I'll definitely consider your interpretation of classic B/X-LL alignment in Dragonlance. For WoHS sounds very good a priori—and it could definitely work for the Clerics, although that shouldn't be a problem for me any time soon

You're welcome!

Another point worth considering, based on my experience, is not to restrict the PCs' alignments a priori (since you mentioned them being "heroes".) The reason is that the pre-War of the Lance period provides a very dynamic environment for PCs to choose their fate; for example, my players decided to become mercenaries for a warlord who would later become a minor Dragon Highlord, and they were involved in the initial campaigns against the Silvanesti elves. Sadly the campaign folded because of Real Life, but we all have very fun memories of those very unconventional sessions.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.