Thread: How well did the animated movie do financially?

Default How well did the animated movie do financially?

So I've been doing a re-listen to the Canticle podcast recently, and I came across something interesting. In several of the early episodes that were done around the time the animated movie came out (Episodes 16 and 17 I believe) there were guests on that mentioned that the Dragonlance animated movie was selling well and that Paramount was pleased with how it was doing. Good news if true, since the better the animated movie did financially the more likely some other movie studio might be willing to someday attempt a Dragonlance movie, but it does seem hard to reconcile such claims with the fact that they never bothered making any sequels. Is there any more concrete information out there about how well the animated movie did financially?

I think the fact that no sequels were ever made speaks volumes.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Studios decisions are normally two fold in making movies.

1. Profit.
    2. Reviews.

Studios will kill movies or elect not to proceed with a movie based on reviews. Even if Autumn turned a $1 profit, they would probably not do a sequel just to avoid bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    Studios will kill movies or elect not to proceed with a movie based on reviews. Even if Autumn turned a $1 profit, they would probably not do a sequel just to avoid bad press.
    Right, like remember that awful Transformers movie by Michael Bay? The reviews tore it to shreds, which is why to this day there have been no sequels to it whatsoever.
    Formerly Daos Soulstaff

Well, obviously the profit from the movie could not overcome all the problems in the production of the first movie.

But if the rumors are right, the production budget was about $1 million, which was really low starting budget for anything. Supposedly as a Straight-to-DVD it was cheaper to produce.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I heard that the movie exceeded Paramount's expectations, particularly in the foreign market. I also heard that there were no sequels due to knock-down-drag-out fights among those making the movie. By the end of production, no one was speaking to anyone.

Margaret

Oh wow. That's rough way for any production to end!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I can only pray that the rumours of a potential live remake are true and this story given the treatment it deserves

It looks that way, if the press releases can be believed, but good intentions are all we have without a production date. John Carter spent over seventy years in development before we got that film.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!