Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life span of the races

Default Life span of the races

What are the current official life span of the races on krynn? Ekves , Dwarves, Gnomes , Ogres etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbauer View Post
    What are the current official life span of the races on krynn? Ekves , Dwarves, Gnomes , Ogres etc.
    I think they're written down somewhere, like in the MWP Dragonlance DM's screen.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

The lifespan notes in 3.5 materials are pretty inconsistent, so I had to go all the way back to 2e. Here's what Tales of the Lance says about lifespans:

Dwarves: 252-450

Gully Dwarves: 35-55

Elves: 550-700

Gnomes: develop wrinkles around age 50

Kender: Adulthood at 20, considered old at 70

Minotaurs: 150

Irda: 500

Did anyone ever decide on a life span for Draconians?

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    Did anyone ever decide on a life span for Draconians?
    I wish I had easy access to my collection. I think the average life span is in the 3e MWP DL DM's Screen.
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I have that at home, I'll have to check.

I always wondered, but does a draconian's death throe trigger if they die of old age? Or have any lived long enough to die naturally? If so, I imagine funerals can be a messy affair. People avoiding old man Kang for fear he'll explode at any minute...
    Formerly Daos Soulstaff

Quote Originally Posted by Errant Crownguard View Post
    I always wondered, but does a draconian's death throe trigger if they die of old age? Or have any lived long enough to die naturally? If so, I imagine funerals can be a messy affair. People avoiding old man Kang for fear he'll explode at any minute...
    At this point, no one knows. And that's indeed a factor with any draconian until they know the truth. As you can imagine, a bozak, sivak and aurak would probably die alone so that loved ones would be hurt by the explosion. Kapak and their acid pools would be an issue as well.

Funerals would probably be ceremonial, with an urn to hold what's ever left of the body. Its a really depressing affair. I'd imagine a draconian would like an end mission where his death has the most impact.
    Fanwank

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    At this point, no one knows. And that's indeed a factor with any draconian until they know the truth. As you can imagine, a bozak, sivak and aurak would probably die alone so that loved ones would be hurt by the explosion. Kapak and their acid pools would be an issue as well.

Funerals would probably be ceremonial, with an urn to hold what's ever left of the body. Its a really depressing affair. I'd imagine a draconian would like an end mission where his death has the most impact.

I've never really thought about that. But I really don't like the idea of it happening anytime a draconian dies. Just sitting here trying to think up a solution and here's how i would do it if i was running a game.

Originally draconians had no control over their racial death abilities. But a couple decades into Teyr being settled draconians have more free time on their hands. They are no longer fighting someone else's war. Draconian philosophers and thinkers start to pop up in the city. One of them, through meditation, figures out how to control if his death will trigger the ability or not. So it becomes a choice as more and more draconians learn how to unlock this mental ability.
    "And me being strictly neutral I bashed everyone in sight!"

The death throes are powered by sudden disruption of the draconian's life cycle. I imagine natural death, as opposed to violent death, is a "slow" phenomenon (in real-world terms, a quasi-static phase transition) so it's not an explosive phenomenon. They simply die.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.