Hi there,

SPOILERY QUESTION ALERT
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    After their lemming-style dive into the sea during that affair between Chesmosh and Mina, are the beloved still a canonical thing, or are they all considered to be destroyed now?

I think they would work on a case by case scenario. Their stats are in Holy Orders of the Stars.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    I think they would work on a case by case scenario. Their stats are in Holy Orders of the Stars.
    The details in HOotS are more of a draft, I think. I intend to use the ones at the end of the Spanish edition of Ambers and Iron, and then convert them to 5th.

I would say the beloved have run their course.

Mina created them, rather than Chemosh after all, and they don't really work as a D&D monster unless you want to force your players to do scenarios where they encourage children to kill people.

I've taken to calling vampires the beloved of Chemosh. Not really the same thing, but adventurers can kill them with magic weapons and wooden stakes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post
    I would say the beloved have run their course.

Mina created them, rather than Chemosh after all, and they don't really work as a D&D monster unless you want to force your players to do scenarios where they encourage children to kill people.

I've taken to calling vampires the beloved of Chemosh. Not really the same thing, but adventurers can kill them with magic weapons and wooden stakes instead.
    Well, it's all about how excited you are with them as monsters. I can see re-using beloved, as a continuing plague. As Mina has attained her godhood, she can't completely take back the beloved. So they are still a cancer among mortals. They exists as hidden cults, gaining new converts. As for killer kids, I still think it would be a great adventure. Can you imagine a priest of mishakal create a paramilitary group like a militant cub-scouts trained to hate beloved and kill them? :-)
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 08-19-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Vampires are something that has always technically existed on Krynn, but not something that I ever felt was given its own niche. In other words, Dragonlance has always tended to “feature” certain monsters which were given specific history and ecology, and random appearances of other monsters always seemed jarring. So, I do view the Beloved as a way of giving Vampires a home on Krynn. That said, I don’t care at all for the “romance novel” features of this monster, like, having sex with their victims, or being slayable only by children.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    Vampires are something that has always technically existed on Krynn, but not something that I ever felt was given its own niche. In other words, Dragonlance has always tended to “feature” certain monsters which were given specific history and ecology, and random appearances of other monsters always seemed jarring. So, I do view the Beloved as a way of giving Vampires a home on Krynn. That said, I don’t care at all for the “romance novel” features of this monster, like, having sex with their victims, or being slayable only by children.
    Yeah, I agree. Good for the novels, bad for my game, I'd say. That said, I'm going to use one as a side character in the PCs interaction with a dark dwarf savant. It can start a fight if he is able to persuade the characters that he is an innocent victim being experimented on by the dwarf.

I like the Beloved and would use them like they were used in Protecting Palanthas.

Really small numbers, you randomly encounter them.

It would be a small encounter that adds to the flavor and immersion of the campaign into Dragonlance.