Thread: Dragonlance Pathfinder and WoHC Prestige Class question

Default Dragonlance Pathfinder and WoHC Prestige Class question

Hello everyone,

First off - thanks to those of you who put in the hard work in converting DL for Pathfinder. I'm going to try running my own DL Pathfinder game in a few months once my current GM needs a break, and your work has been invaluable in my preparation.

I have a question regarding how you would handle leveling/spell casting/WoHC prestige class. The question I have is that if a character were to become a WoHC at 5th or 6th level, then proceed to level up exclusively through the PrC, they would be ECL 15 or 16 when they maxed out the WoHC PrC, meaning they wouldn't have access to 9th level spells.

I'm not an experienced RPGer by any means, and am learning the Pathfinder rules for the first time, so maybe I've missed something... but it seems like if a WoHC wanted access to 9th level spells, it would be necessary to put off moving to the PrC until level 7 at least... which story wise does not make sense to me, as my reading of DL leads me to believe that most serious spell casters should be tested at 5th or 6th level max. In my view the test should be offered as soon as the pre-reqs are met, as the conclave would want to ensure than any eligible mage is practicing within the confines of the Order. Has anyone else come across this issue, or is there a work around in the rule set that I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't see it come up when I searched old threads.

Kyle

Well, the class was designed so that a PC could take the class as early as 5th level. From there you can safely max out the PrC at level fifteen and then take your last five levels as either regular wizard or some other related prestige class like archmage or something. Just because you take the PrC at that level doesn't mean you can't take anything else once you've maxed it out.

Does that answer your question?
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Exactly, they would take more Wizard or another spellcasting PrC. And Dave, there is no archmage in Pathfinder PrC's. Just in Mythic tiers.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Oops. Forgot.
    Head Moderator &

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere View Post
    Well, the class was designed so that a PC could take the class as early as 5th level. From there you can safely max out the PrC at level fifteen and then take your last five levels as either regular wizard or some other related prestige class like archmage or something. Just because you take the PrC at that level doesn't mean you can't take anything else once you've maxed it out.

Does that answer your question?
    Yeah, it does! For some reason I was thinking that taking anymore levels in wizard would be going against the Conclave, but I don't know what put that idea in my head. I suppose if I didn't want to include the PrC at all, I could just make taking the test something that is role-played, with no impact on a character's class...

Anyways, thanks for the answer to the question... seems so simple now!

Quote Originally Posted by kmb117 View Post
    Yeah, it does! For some reason I was thinking that taking anymore levels in wizard would be going against the Conclave, but I don't know what put that idea in my head. I suppose if I didn't want to include the PrC at all, I could just make taking the test something that is role-played, with no impact on a character's class...

That's exactly how I've always handled it - the test is mandatory, unless you want to be considered a renegade, but the Wizard of High Sorcery prestige class is optional entirely. So you'd need to take the test in order to get access to the prestige class, but you're not necessarily obliged to take the prestige class after taking the test. IMC, technically speaking, one could be a member of the Order of High Sorcery without taking any levels in the prestige class - you'd be missing out on a lot of cool stuff, but the option is there.

Levels in base class wizard are totally acceptable.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by kmb117
    Glad I could help! Also, please let us know how our conversions work in your game. Feedback is always appreciated.
    Head Moderator &