Thread: Dragonlance novels - out of print?

Question Dragonlance novels - out of print?

Hello!

I'm not sure if I hit the right place but I will give it a shot.

Few years ago a friend lent me The Raistlin Chronicles and I totally fell in love with the characters. Last year I decided to read more of the Dragonlance novels by following the Nexus reading order list. I bought Chronicles and Legends triologies and now I would like to continue with the Lost Chronicles but I can't find printed novels anywhere.

I'm a big fan of paperback books and I was wondering what is the status on the Dragonlance novels. Are they out of print? The only books I can find are from people selling them for 40$.

I hope you could tell me more about it.

Thank you in advance!

WoTC has put many Dragonlance novels out of print. (As well as novels from other worlds.) They have stopped publishing new novels completely.

Thank you for the quick reply!

It makes me sad to hear that. Why are they doing that anyway? I just saw they requested the return of the books in 2016 and 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodyavenger View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply!

It makes me sad to hear that. Why are they doing that anyway? I just saw they requested the return of the books in 2016 and 2017.

There is no real answer to that other than "this is their current business strategy". Their D&D output in general is absolutely anemic, with only about two major releases per year (and unlike some others here, I am not overly impressed with the quality of what is being released beyond the core books - I think it's generally very bland and predictable). They've massively reduced staff as well, and have become more reliant on outsourcing even for their RPG material. It has been theorized that their current strategy in terms of book publishing is to merely keep the D&D IP alive so it can be exploited through other, bigger, more profitable media (film, television, video games etc), and there may well be some merit to that.

"They believe this is good for business" may not be a very satisfying answer for fans, but at the moment, that appears to be what it is. Novels don't figure in their current strategy. Even RPGs just barely fit into it.