Thread: Female Knights in Ansalon's history

Default Female Knights in Ansalon's history

I have been wondering for a while - what do we know about female Knights of Solamnia in Ansalon's history? Throughout the Fifth Age they seem relatively common - Fiona Quinti and Linsha Majere being probably the two best known examples, but if I recall corrently in either the Chronicles or the Lost Chronicles (more likely the latter) it is mentioned that there are precedents for women entering the knighthood (I believe this is mentioned in relation to Laurana leading the knights during the Battle of the High Clerist's Tower, but again, I am not sure). This does imply that at the time of the War of the Lance, there are no female knights around anymore (apart from arguably Laurana - was she made an honorary Knight, like Tanis?), that they most likely have been gone for quite some time, and were never particularly common to begin with, or this would be common knowledge among the knights.

So what other female Knights of Solamnia do we that were active before the 5th Age? Do we know of any at all during the 4th Age, perhaps after the War of the Lance when Gunther uth Wistan starts modernizing the knighthood?

I believe the only restrictions I know of is prior to the War of the Lance, a knight needs to be human, and from Solamnia I think. When Lord Gunthar started the modernization, it turned to half-human at the least, and where you come from doesn't matter.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    I believe the only restrictions I know of is prior to the War of the Lance, a knight needs to be human, and from Solamnia I think. When Lord Gunthar started the modernization, it turned to half-human at the least, and where you come from doesn't matter.
    The history of racial restrictions is quite well laid out in the 3.5 book Knightly Orders of Ansalon. Sex isn't really addressed in the same way, though, and the knighthood seems to have had a much more ambiguous relationship with it. During the pre-war Age of Despair the knighthood seems pretty conservative on the issue, but since the existence of female knights prior to the War of the Lance has been referenced before, it seems unlikely there were any official laws opposing their entry into the knighthood. The question remains whether they were allowed to enter into the knighthood in practice - after all, it seems that female knights were non-existent for long periods of time during the knighthood's existence, and we don't really see them surfacing until the Fifth Age. It seems more of an attitude/cultural issue than an actual law set out in the Measure.

And attitudes and laws may not be the same thing, but they can have many of the same consequences, especially when, in this case, a group of elderly gentlemen are the people taking all the decisions.
    Last edited by Jayce; 08-06-2017 at 01:35 AM.

For the Knights of Solamnia, the two short stories Weiss and Hickman wrote about the cataclysm indicate women were not allowed to be knights. They are in the Reign of Istar and the Cataclysm. From that, I assume that women were not admitted into the order until after the second cataclysm.

Other nations may have had different rules though and you'd have to wonder about dwarves. Ergothian Cavaliers would be an interesting take. Especially with how bad things were in Ergoth after the cataclysm, if they did not admit women prior to that event, they may have after to fill the ranks. Kayolin dwarves have a knighthood and with dwarven society I would not be surprised if they had no restrictions on sex for admission.

Well, one of the earliest female knights is Riva Silvercrown from the DC comics. She wasn't a knight at the start of the War of the Lance, but Gunthar eventually knighted her sometime later. She certainly was a knight soon after the war.

In the young-adult books, one of the young kids, trained as a squire under a female knight.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...