Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: DL 4 Dragons of Desolation; IC; Chapter 4

Default Rough

Has been his own version of delighted being able to partake in the hospitality of the dwarves. He is happy to trade and refill his flasks. He spends the time leading up to the council doing what he can to move among the dwarves and learn what he can from them, gathering information, sharing with them news of their cousins he has had so many years dealing with, what is happening in the outside world, and when he finds a willing ear, the return of the gods.

Once they are in council, he remains quiet and listens, but keep his mind keenly focused on the happenings, once more acting as a translator for his companions when necessary.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

In the halls of Thorbardin, Somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains; Mid-Morning of 23 (October), 351 AC

While Thorn asks to be granted permission to return the Helm of Grallen to a resting place in the Valley of the Thanes and everyone else stands respectfully; forgetting for a moment of the 800 or so refugees they brought with them to Thorbardin; Maxavel clears her throat and mentions this; along with the trials and tribulations that brought them all to this place; to the Thanes in a polite manner, asking for their permission in keeping them in safety inside their formidable mountain fortress. The Thanes begin speaking with each other excitedly at this; with the Theiwar Thane CLEARLY not wanting any part of it, while the others are; at best; skeptical of the idea of bringing such a large number of a foreign race inside their lands. Eventually, Hornfel stands and with a gesture, he shushes the others....

"Thorn Stoneshield of the Daewar, you have our permission to carry the Helm of Grallen to his resting place in the Valley of the Thanes; my son Arman Kharas will show you the way and our thanks for bringing such a great artifact back to its rightful place of rest. As for your request for us to house such a large number of human refugees....well, the last time a large number of refugees came to our doors asking for such help, a terrible war erupted. However, we cannot let ancient hatreds or grudges rule us in this day and age. However, as some of my fellow Thanes have mentioned; there is no immediate way for us to know if your intentions are honorable or not; so I therefore a propose a test. It is said that the Hammer of Kharas; a weapon and tool of ancient times; blessed by the long-lost Clerics of Reorx himself; lies somewhere in the Valley of Thanes. If all that you say is true; it would seem that you are all quite capable of succeeding in such a quest to find this relic. If you do and return it to us; we will allow your people to stay here in Thorbardin and we will protect them and feed them as long as they are willing to help out to the best of their abilities. If you do NOT find the Hammer....well; I'm afraid your people will be forced outside of our Mountain Kingdom and left to fend for themselves. These are our terms." He sits back down and watches you all closely, awaiting an answer....

Maxavel

Max is visibly disappointed in the decision of the Thanes but tries hard to not let it taint her words. "This test, as you call it, seems a bit like a fool's errand." She stops and raises her hand to silence any complaints. "That said, if this Hammer of Kharas is the price we must pay for your assistance, then we will deliver."

"I only ask two things. First, allow the refugees to stay until we return.

Second, on a personal note, I would like the opportunity to speak with any newly found clerics within this mountain."

Thorn makes a friendly suggestion "How bout if ya aint happy ta let the tall folk live in the upper cave yah allow em ta settle down outside aint like any of em can open the secret entrance any way less they got one of us with em." however puzzling about the hammer and thinking it over plus listening to what Maxavel is saying ​"As fer the hammer it might be a fools errand but I'm up ta the challenge. Either way."
    True Treasure
    In life there are three real treasures: loving partners, true friends and your brightest dreams. The trick is to avoid losing them along the way.
    ~ Elminster of Shadowdale
    Runes on a Rock
    published in the year of the Morningstar

Default Gilthanias

Bows to the Thanes. Your honorable Thanes our intentions are most honorable. As I am the prince of Qualinesti, my father is Speaker of the Suns. My family is most honorable. We shall go in search of your Hammer. But may I asked how the hammer was lost?

Default Rough

Spends most of his time translating back and forth. Speaking for Max and the Elves as well to give the dwarves the benefit of hearing another voice that just Thorn. He does look at Max with a bit of alarm but offers her words as she spoke them, knowing dwarves expect what could only be called "pure honesty" so he doesn't misrepresent any the individuals either way. He is worried that they may be taken as making demands. He looks back and forth between the council and his companions, his brow raised as if to say, ​please, be careful here.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Default Gilthanias

Seeing the worry in the ranger face. ​We only ask so that we may know what dangers we face.

Default Gerald

Gerald follows the conversation between his companions and the thanes. He is excited at the prospect of going on a proper quest.

Happier to have something to do rather than hang around all of these dwarves, Vale perks up at the mention of the quest for the hammer. He quietly joins Gilthanis in a show of support in his friend's decision.

In the halls of Thorbardin to the Valley of the Thanes, Somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains; Mid-Morning to Early Afternoon of 23 (October), 351 AC

Thane Hornfel agrees that the refugees may stay until the heroes return from their quest for the Hammer, or until a week passes. Arman asks his father if he can accompany then and with a sad look on his face, Hornfel agrees. Hornfel tells Maxavel with a confused look on his face that there have been no Clerics in Thorbardin since 'humans brought the Catacylsm on us'....and 'Reorx turned his beard away from this world'. Maxavel notices a strange look cross the face of Rance, the Theiwar Thane, but he says nothing. Arman then turns to the companions and asks that they follow him and along the way, he tells them the tale of the Hammer of Kharas....

The companions march along a long, long tunnel that ends in a steep shaft set at about a 45 degree angle, in which a long, long set of steps is embedded. Arman begins taking them, never breaking stride, but the long climb is exhausting....

Arman tells them; "The hammer is said to have been forged by the God Reorx in an Age long past...and that the Hammer eventually found its way to the Dwarves of the first Kingdom of Dwarves; Kal-Thax; where it was used to forge many great items of power and served as a powerful weapon for the Blessed Clerics of Reorx. As time passed; Kal-Thax vanished into legend, though its colonies, of which Thorbardin was the greatest; continued to thrive. The Hammer remained in the vaults of the Clerics of Thorbardin; but they did not seem to have to skill needed to use it to forge many items of power, though it WAS used to create some weapons and armor which are still handed down from parent to child in a select few families to this day. When the Catacylsm came, the last High Priest of Reorx gave it to a child, after saying that he had a vision that the Hammer would bind itself to him and that they would be an inseparable pair to the day the boy died and they would both be ever after named 'Kharas' and be looked upon as the very embodiment of Honor". It is clear in his voice and the look in his eyes that Arman is DEEPLY moved by telling this story....he believes in it UTTERLY....

"The boy Dwarf grew into the greatest warrior in Thorbardin's history and became a good friend and strong right hand to the Thane and High King, Derkin. Kharas went on adventures beyond our borders and is said to have made friends with those fabled honorable Human warriors known as the 'Knights of Solamnia'. Regardless, he had returned to Thorbardin when the terrible Dwarf-gate War broke out. Kharas and Derkin had a major falling out as Kharas believed it was wrong for Dwarf to kill Dwarf; but he never disobeyed Derkin; instead he shaved his beard out of shame-"; here Arman shudders, as does Thorn at the very THOUGHT of shaving one's beard INTENTIONALLY, "-but he fought bravely and capably; killing many Neidar Dwarves and humans; weeping the whole time. Eventually, he came across the body of Derkin's son and he brought the body back to Thorbardin, thereby missing the final blast from the human sorcerer Fistandantilus that warped Zhaman into a Skull-shaped mound of rock and ended the war."

"After depositing the body of his son in front of Derkin, Kharas sadly told his old friend and ruler good-bye and headed for the Valley of the Thanes with his Hammer. No one was with him on that final journey, but to this day, there is a carving near a natural arch of rock that says "I mourn for all Dwarves" that no one remembers being there before that day and which was almost certainly carved by Kharas using his Hammer. Nothing else has ever been seen or heard from either Kharas, or the Hammer".

At this point, the long rise finally ends and the companions, after getting their breath, see that a tunnel leads to a narrow cave entrance with sunlight shining through. As Arman leads them outside into a narrow valley with numerous carved sculptures and headstones on either side of a narrow path, snow flurries are falling gently from the sky in a cold, bright early afternoon. Arman turns to the companions and says, in his ever-serious manner; "When I was young, I had a vision of Kharas telling me that I would follow in his path and find the Hammer. Then was when I took the name 'Arman Kharas' over my given name of Pike. My parents believed I was being a silly child and my half-brother thinks I'm crazy, but I know what I saw to be the truth. When you came here.....and this mission assigned to us....I believe my destiny is finally about to be revealed." The intense glow in his eyes makes pretty much everyone in the party uncomfortable for a long moment. Then the looks passes as Arman says; "But first....I'll take you to Grallen's tomb."

He leads them along the path, which winds through several switchbacks in the narrow valley and eventually it widens out into an area with a half-frozen pool of still water and a 15 foot high obelisk next to the pool with a nearby statue of a Dwarf warrior with arms spread wide and a bare head. The obelisk has Dwarven runes on it, which those that can read Dwarven can read to say; "Raised to honor Prince Grallen; hero of the Dwarfgate War; felled by the evil sorcerer Fistandantilus".....
    Last edited by maxvale; 12-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.