Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: DL 4 Dragons of Desolation; IC; Chapter 4

Default Rough

During the exchange, he translates the dwarven into common for those that do not speak the language in a hushed, respectful tone. As Armand Kharas makes his decision to trust them, he again bows at the waist and follows.

When they enter the gardens of giant mushrooms, the ranger is taken aback. He sniffs the air, his mouth watering. "Dwarf Spirits?"

When they come to the underground sea he is surprised yet again and walks over to kneel by the water's edge as if he cannot believe his eyes. He then looks out over the long expanse with old human eyes and tried to make out the other side. "I cannot see the other side... how big is it?"
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

Maxavel

Max is a bit out of sorts. She doesn't speak the language, and it seems to her that the dwarves have some trust issues with outsiders. "How are we going to proceed? Do you think we can really persuade these folk to lend aid?"

The wondrous sights do little to lighten her now pessimistic mood.

Default Gilthanias

Follows with the group keeping it silent. Remembering stories from his elders of the sights and sounds from a dwarven cities.

Default Gerald

Gerald falls in line with the rest of his party, bringing up the rear.
    More than once he was forced to catch up as he often stopped to stare at the amazing sights around him. Such was the immense size of everything around him, he couldn't believe at times that they were within a mountain.

Default Rough

Continues to translate for the others unless he is otherwise directly told not to.
    Brett
    ~A.K.A. Bluehorse

"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it" ~Flint Fireforge

Rough Human / NG / Ranger lvl: 6 / Maxvale's Classic War of the Lance Campaign (DL Nexus)

In the halls of Thorbardin, Somewhere in the Kharolis Mountains; Evening of 22 Hiddumont thru Mid-Morning of 23 (October), 351 AC

The companions step off the boat when it reaches the 'island' created out of a giant Stalagmite and they center a large and quite prosperous Dwarven city; the Heart of Thorbardin. The city is extremely clean and extremely well organized; very neat, very square blocks containing apartment-style houses; places of business; open park areas with mossy algae and florescent algae and mushrooms; etc. The many Dwarves on the streets include the very rarely seen Dwarven children and plenty of bearded Dwarven women along with men. Many stare at the Humans and Elves and some make rude remarks in Dwarven.

Arman Kharas leads the party to an Inn and tells the Innkeeper that the companions are to have the best rooms in the place and he pays the Innkeeper in a small handful of gems. The Innkeeper grunts; pockets the gems and proceeds to show the party to the top level which has four spacious rooms that DO have some low ceilings; but are very comfortable and later he provides meals of meat and mushroom stew and mugs of water or Dwarf spirits; depending on taste. Arman meanwhile has left to make sure his brother Pick is treated for his poisoning and promises to send word on when they can meet his father and the other Thanes in the morning.

A somewhat awkward night happens with thankfully no more violent occurrences for the companions
    and with the spirit of Grallen appearing in Thorn's dreams to tell him; "My friend, I will no longer be able to invoke the Helm's gem to speak thru you. You have taken me this far and for that, I sincerely thank you.....please take my Helm to my resting place in the Valley of the Thanes and lay my Helm on my marker so that I may be at eternal peace. Thank you".

N
    ot long after everyone has awoken*; a messenger arrives telling them that they are to meet the Council of Thanes in half-an-hour. Everyone gathers their gear and the messenger leads the party to a large building in the exact center of the City. They are brought into a grand room that has a triangular area in the middle of the the mostly open room and they turn to see 3 unique structures that create a 'box' around the open area they are led to. Arman stands alone in the triangular area nodding at the companions as they join him.

One structure is an altar that is the shape of an anvil and in large Dwarven runes spells out 'For the Cleric and Respected Thane giving voice to the Dead in Reorx's Realm'; while another is a very high, elevated Throne and neither has anyone standing or sitting upon it. The last structure is the widest and the only one occupied. It contains 5 Thrones; all of equal height and four of them have occupants. Two of the occupants are clearly Mountain Dwarves like Thorn; one of them is gray haired and bearded and bears a more than passing resemblance to Arman. The other has Blondish Hair and a Beard going gray. Thorn knows instantly that the Blonde Dwarf is of the same clan as he; the Daewar; while the Gray-beard is obviously Arman's father Hornfel; Thane of the Hylar clan. One occupant is a Gray Dwarf or Theiwar Dwarf; like those that they recently fought. He is agitated and angry looking and has a scarred face. The last occupant is the smallest and most nervous looking by far; an Aghar or Gully Dwarf; whose feet do not reach the floor and whom the rest of the Dwarves appear to be doing their best to ignore. The empty throne sits between the Aghar Thane (on one end) and the Daewar Thane; who sits next to they Hylar Thane and then finally the Theiwar Thane on the other end.

Arman steps forward and introduces the party in a very formal manner; relating how they fought the Gray Dwarves and rescued his half-brother Pick. At the end of the speech, Hornfel turns to look at the Theiwar Thane who shrugs and says; "Insurgents acting on their own....I had no knowledge of this". Hornfel merely grunts in reply and then looks back at the adventurers. He clears his throat and says in halting Common; "Forgive me if my words are incorrect.....I have not used this language with anyone other than my tutors when I was a youth and certainly did not expect to ever see and converse with outsiders. First; my thanks for saving my second son Pick. As my firs son, Arman, has no doubt told you; I am Hornfel; Thane of the Hylar Clan of Thorbardin. These are my fellow Thanes; Gneiss of the Daewar (the blond beard nods his head respectfully); Realgar of the Theiwar (the Gray Dwarf just scowls at you); and Bluph....of the Aghar (the gully Dwarf blinks at you with big, terrified eyes)."

"My son tells me you have something to ask of us; so please, ask your questions"....

*All spell casters, please let me know which spells you'd like to have memorized
    Last edited by maxvale; 11-14-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Thorn steps forward and ask just one simple thing while holding Grallen's crown before him "Can I take this crown to tha Valley of the Thanes and place it on Grallen's marker, it be all his spirit has asked of me an I see right fit to give him his peace. Will this council be alright with me doin so?"
    True Treasure
    In life there are three real treasures: loving partners, true friends and your brightest dreams. The trick is to avoid losing them along the way.
    ~ Elminster of Shadowdale
    Runes on a Rock
    published in the year of the Morningstar

Default Gilthanias

Will stand behind Thorn quietly waiting on a reply from the Thanes.