Thread: Biggest Contradictions (That actually effect the story/timeline)

Default Biggest Contradictions (That actually effect the story/timeline)

What do you think are the biggest/most important Contradictions? And what are your fixes/spins etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbauer View Post
    What do you think are the biggest/most important Contradictions? And what are your fixes/spins etc.
    Hmmmm. I'll probably have to list my top 5.

#5 How the Companions Met, and how they really met.
    We start with a simple story told in DL5, and repeated later in Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home. That story in itself had a wild story about Raistlin nearly being able cast a spell to summon a demon to get into a school. Then we get the Preludes sextets. The most notable difference is the added details that changed the story of "How the Companions Met." Including Kitiara as a young girl, being involved in helping to get Raistlin into that same school. Finally we have Soulforge, that pretty much sidestepped the previously mentioned books and told it in Raistlin's viewpoint, including what Kit was doing. The overall level of "fixes" included merging the name of Raistlin's teacher, Kit earning money as a waitress while Antimodes thought she was a prostitute.

#4 Sturm and Kit's Trip to the Moon, and How Steel Brightblade came to be.
    Well, I think it's pretty clear that Kitiara's Son is the "real" point of view. The problem then remains, is Darkness and Light a complete an total fantasy? I've honestly written D&L as a kender tale, with huge exaggerations. I think in simplest turms, Sturm and Kit did meet some gnomes. While helping the gnomes with their ship, they got stuck in a barren swamp. Sturm tried to take charge, annoying Kit. After leaving the gnomes, Kit began seducing Sturm until Steel was conceived. They parted ways, but not before she did help Sturm with a well placed arrow as described later in Darkness and Light.

#3 Huma dragonbane, knight of solamnia, vs Huma, born before Vina Solanthus started the knighthood.
    This basically started with a contradiction in the timeline as seen in DLA. Basically you have Huma banishing the dragons in the Second Dragon War well before Vinas Solanthus created the knighthood. And Chronicles didn't help when Sturm himself says there are records of Huma's name in their ranks. And that got even more muddled when Legend of Huma established that this timeline mistake exists, and there's a previously unknown Third Dragon War. That in turn was collected by the Tales of the Lance boxed set that described second and third war. Well, my "fix" happens to be recognizing that there are two versions of Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home. The first version, written in-world, has DLA's timeline. The second version, has TotL's timeline. From that I felt that DLA and TotL are actually in-world books written by in-world scholars rebuilding Ansalon's shattered history that was destroyed by the Cataclysm. So DLA, while riddled with inconsistencies, had the truth as it was known as the time just after legends. TotL was written later with updates and corrections.

#2 The Greygem of Garath and the origins of kender, gnomes, dwarves.... And scions. And minotaurs. etc. etc.
    Okay. So originally, we hear that gnomes fought over the greygem. One side became Kender, and the other side became dwarves. Somehow, between the new kender and dwarves, there were unchanged gnomes. Then, we hear on Taladas, that there were men chosen by Reorx, who were cursed. these Minoi, live with "uncursed" gnomes called Gnomoi, yet both can't get anything done because Gnomoi over design their stuff, and Minoi tinker too much. an minoi followed Reorx, and somehow got the greygem from Lunitari on via magic/mechanical ladder that reached the moon Lunitari. And if that didn't fry your brain, the greygem transformed some gnomes into Scions, magical-wielding gnomes. But most of them died, so it doesn't matter. And then there are folks who don't want to be related to kender, so they say that kender are greygrm altered elves rather than gnomes. And the dwarves claim to be their own peoples, rather than from gnomes. Along with that, you have Balif the elf, but you also have Balif the kender. Who might or might not be the same person.

Whew. So, my fix is rewrite the origins of those species. In my mind, Reorx cursed his Smiths in two ways. One was cursed to always tinker (minoi). the other (Gnomoi) was cursed to over-engineer in the planning stage. However, in truth, when a minoi and a gnomoi overlook their differences and work together, they will build extraordinary things. The Gnomoi became the ruling class of the gnomes, and rewrote history to say their side was uncursed. Then came the greygem. The gem did create scions, but most of them died so it doesn't matter. Minoi and Gnomoi chased after the greygem, until in at the tower of Gargath, that the greygem made the transformation for extreme. Minoi became Kender, and Gnomoi became dwarves.

#1 The High god? Chaos? Ionthas? What the hell is that god in Summer Flame that Reorx calls FATHER OF ALL AND NOTHING?!?!?!
    I'll have to get back to you on that one.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I always get Dragonwars confused.

Is #2 where they used the gems to capture the evil dragons?

#3 is the start of Dragonlances?

Is #4 WOTL?

Then what is #1?

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    I always get Dragonwars confused.

Is #2 where they used the gems to capture the evil dragons?

#3 is the start of Dragonlances?

Is #4 WOTL?

Then what is #1?
    Well, there's War #0 which are the first chromatic dragons killing the first metallic dragons.

#1 is the war involving the children of the first dragons. Dragonstones were created to capture the chromatic dragons.

#2 is the war with the elves. Dwarves released the dragons captured in the dragonstones. The first Wizards of High Sorcery used wild magic to kill the dragons (and most of their own allies)

#3 is the war with the humans. Huma and his silver dragon drive Takhisis from Krynn.

#4 is the war with the draconians. That's WotL.
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Hmmmm. I'll probably have to list my top 5.
    Can we mark this post of the year? Really insightful and interesting; thanks!
    Seriously; what's the point of being a minotaur if you're not going to skewer something, anything, on those beautiful horns....

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Well, there's War #0 which are the first chromatic dragons killing the first metallic dragons.

#1 is the war involving the children of the first dragons. Dragonstones were created to capture the chromatic dragons.

#2 is the war with the elves. Dwarves released the dragons captured in the dragonstones. The first Wizards of High Sorcery used wild magic to kill the dragons (and most of their own allies)

#3 is the war with the humans. Huma and his silver dragon drive Takhisis from Krynn.

#4 is the war with the draconians. That's WotL.
    When did the moons appear? I thought it was in response to Wild Magic, but that seems wrong. I'm reading the Kagonesti and the moons appear after the use of the dragonstones.

Sad. I feel like my ancient Ansolonian knowledge is incomplete. I should be able to quote this easily.

Oh how I would love to have your most up to date timeline Weldon.

Quote Originally Posted by SaygahMinotaur View Post
    Can we mark this post of the year? Really insightful and interesting; thanks!
    Haha. And I was thinking my reply was a bit cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    When did the moons appear? I thought it was in response to Wild Magic, but that seems wrong. I'm reading the Kagonesti and the moons appear after the use of the dragonstones.

Sad. I feel like my ancient Ansolonian knowledge is incomplete. I should be able to quote this easily.
    Well, each melds into each other. that's why the Lexicon exists. In fact, I had to look up some of the my notes about the greygem stuff. Including that the last series, where Balifor is finally explained.

As for the moons? Kagonesti and The Dragons both refer to the moons appearing just after the end of the 1st Dragonwar. *shrug* At first, I believed that the moons always existed, around end of the All-saint's war, when the truce also ended with birth of the magic gods. however, it's spelled out very clearly that they appear.

I think my compromise is that when Krynn was created, the other gods made their constellations and planets. It's my personally belief that just after the magic gods were born, they had their own moons. *However* to get around all that, nothing says that the magic gods can't shift orbits of their moons. So, i'm more than willing to say that after the First Dragon War, Solinari, Lunitari, and Nuitairi shifted their planets so that instead of orbiting the sun, their planets changed direction to orbit Krynn. To anyone on Krynn, it was appear that the moons appeared "magically." But then, we're talking about gods that can wink out constellations. And Takhsis transplanting a planet to a new star system.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbauer View Post
    Oh how I would love to have your most up to date timeline Weldon.
    Well, thanks for saying so.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 07-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Fanwank

I think the Dwarves, particularly the early history is one of the biggest, the dates for everything are all over the place up to pretty much the age of might.