Thread: Wrathful Avenger of Sargonnas/Hexblade combo.

Default Wrathful Avenger of Sargonnas/Hexblade combo.

I was looking these over and trying to decide if they'd make a good combo. I like the flavor of both classes, but I think by themselves they are kind of weak. I'm not worried about being some super powerful character, but I don't want to be weaker than normal either. Any thoughts or ideas from the community?

Isn't a Hexblade termed as a sorcerer? Don't see many minotaur sorcerers, especially when they get spells for being an Avenger from Sargonnas....
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Hey thanks for the reply, pretty dead around here lately. Right now I'm not worried about explaining how it came about. I'm just curious if it seems like a good build. It looks pretty good to me, but I am notoriously bad at judging these things.

I've not played one, but right off the bat the biggest red flag for me is splitting your magic between two different sources. You can see this weakness inherent in other builds, too. Not only does it weaken your spellcasting potential, having two pools of lower level spell slots, as opposed to a single progression that leads to more powerful magic sooner, but you also have to consider the unnecessary complexity of tracking those separate sets of spell slots and the two different lists of spells with which to fill them.

it would make more sense to either take an arcane PrC that complements the Hexblade, or to take a divine base class to complement the Avenger.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaithan Kanathar View Post
    pretty dead around here lately
    It'll pick up again! Long live the Lance!
    Seriously; what's the point of being a minotaur if you're not going to skewer something, anything, on those beautiful horns....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    I've not played one, but right off the bat the biggest red flag for me is splitting your magic between two different sources. You can see this weakness inherent in other builds, too. Not only does it weaken your spellcasting potential, having two pools of lower level spell slots, as opposed to a single progression that leads to more powerful magic sooner, but you also have to consider the unnecessary complexity of tracking those separate sets of spell slots and the two different lists of spells with which to fill them.

it would make more sense to either take an arcane PrC that complements the Hexblade, or to take a divine base class to complement the Avenger.
    So something along the lines of A Hexblade/Arcane Trickster?

I'm not as up on 3.5 as I used to be, but if the Arcane Trickster has a class feature that says "+1 level of existing spellcasting class," then yeah.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!