Thread: Creating DL Factions for the Nexus

Default Creating DL Factions for the Nexus

I mentioned on Facebook we should put together a faction list for 5E of the DL factions. My idea would be for each organization in DL to be treated as a faction as opposed to making anything class based.

I figure we should try to start simple, then work on expanding it to other organizations.

So, starting with the Crown Knights.

Crown Postulant would be free. You join the knights and get this rank for basically doing nothing.

After that, I would assume each promotion would require a few faction points. Seeing as politics is involved, some would need to be based on making allies for promotions. Eventually, the promotion would need to be almost entirely political as opposed to merit.

Going from Crown Postulant to Knight would involve completing any quest for the Knighthood. I would say 1 Faction Point. I think any service to the Order or basic good deed would be sufficient to meet this requirement. KOfA says that most knights have this rank, so only a few would progress beyond this point.

Sergeant would require a 2-3 Faction points and would require the Knight to show some form of leadership. Directing troops in a battle or even suggestions to fellow party members. Something that shows he can do more than follow orders. This could be another basic promotion so no politics.

After this point, I think all promotions would need to have only a small Faction point requirement (2-3 for each promotion), but an ever increasing requirement of political points, including to change Orders.

I think this then creates work for the DM. The Knight would be assigned to a Circle and he would need to earn political points in the circle. Members of the Circle would have specific requirements to support a promotion. This would require a DM to setup a circle and create what each Knight in the circle desired.

Honest Knight, just earning Faction points would be sufficient.
    Noble/Land Owner, either service to the lord, collecting taxes, providing steel to support him, etc.
    Politician, this could just be a couple positive Charisma checks. The DC of the check would go higher for each promotion.
    Crusader, going on a mission with the Knight.
    Clerist, some sort of religious crusade or endeavor.
    Rose, something honorable.

Other ideas for types of Knights and what they would want to support a PC politically? This would also probably vary depending on era, but would have some that are consistent throughout time.

Getting above Warden would be rare and would probably require either a war or a Knight to die to create an opening. It may also involve the PC no longer being able to adventure since he'd be required to do so much within the Knighthood.

I think that is a good starting point.

Let's see if we can flesh this out and then expand it to the other Orders on Krynn.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    I mentioned on Facebook we should put together a faction list for 5E of the DL factions. My idea would be for each organization in DL to be treated as a faction as opposed to making anything class based.

I figure we should try to start simple, then work on expanding it to other organizations.
    We talked about this earlier in this thread: http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/sho...About-Factions

Though it didn't end up going anywhere.

Thanks for reminding me of that thread. If a mod wants to merge these two threads I'd understand.

My guess, and its only a guess, as to why it didn't go far is because the thread was bending Dragonlance organizations to fit into the Faction template instead of what I did, bend the Faction template to fit DL. Also, I added the political aspect and some game rules for it to have further advancement.

Instead of the 5 ranks for Factions, Crown Knights have:

1. Crown Postulate
    2. Knight
    3. Sergeant
    4. Steward
    5. Captain
    6. Warden
    7. Marshal
    8. Lord
    9. High Warrior
    10. Grand Master

The two other Orders only have 9. And as we have discussed at length on these boards, the higher ranks for the KoS are almost entirely political. Setting up a system to account for politics would be a boon for DMs to reference. This would also be beneficial because all three orders have the same structure, a Circle of Knights that you'd be reporting to and that would be whom the PC needs to influence to gain rank or change Orders.

I think the political aspect needs more styles of Knights to fill out for variety within a circle. I'll have to review KOoA again to see what was written.

Based on these faction rules, a DM would probably need to encourage a PC to change Orders to move up in rank as opposed to moving up within an Order. If a Knight is the typical rank and going above that rank would require more duties to the Knighthood, its easy to see why shifting to Sword and Rose should be encouraged. This also gives a PC a motive to continue working with the Knights after gaining the rank of Knight. If you know you are adventuring, you'd need a reason to continue to go back and report to the circle and/or care about your position with the KoS.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post

So, starting with the Crown Knights.
    I would make "Knights of Solamnia" rather than the three orders of knighthood their own faction for three reasons:

1. A Knight of Solamnia faction could cover auxiliaries as well (like the magic-using Order of the Kingfisher), or others that share their goals (ie. the Golden General Laurana, Tanis the honourary Rose Knight).
    2. The three orders do not have opposing interests in wider Ansalon.
    3. I believe in the current era Imperial Solamnia the Rose and Sword orders were disbanded. The Lord of No Sign and all that.

For rank names I would keep it simple:

1) Page
    2) Esquire (gain mentor)
    3) Knight (downtime benefit)
    4) Master (gain squires)
    5) Lord (Faction resources)

Fitting the old DLA ranks to the faction system is problematic because there could be people that have influence in the Knights of Solamnia. That is what the faction system is supposed to be for, binding characters of diverse builds (fighters, thieves, clerics, mages etc) into an adventuring party with cohesive goals. NotRaistlin McWhiteRobe could have been knighted in the auxillary Order of the Kingfisher, and have the Faction Rank of a Stalwart Knight and the benefit. Stabby McPickpocket could become a spymaster for the knights, gaining a couple other squires whom he trains in the arts of espionage.

But I think instead of the faction system, I think you want to describe the various ranks and offices within the Knights of Solamnia themselves, and give tangible game effects that a character receives from accepting this office. But you don't need the faction rules for that.

I agree with the KoS faction, but I think you need both because individual organizations within the faction will have different requirements. Like Sword Knights being able to cast clerical spells. The Orders of High Sorcerery should have requirements for a Wizards ability to cast spells ie, you need to cast L5 to get a specific promotion. Can't be head of an order without casting L9 spells. Or can even have the requirement for specialty based on White/Red/Black. IE, the White Robes would probably bar Necromancers from being on the Conclave. So there is an overall pattern, with some individual tailoring to each organizations specific needs. This also allows the previous great work done in creating source books like KOoA to still be used. The information is there, lets use it.

The individual rank within each order would determine your overall influence on the Knights. A Knight of the Crown would not have much influence, but a Warden of the Crown would. So that would determine your overall influence in the organization. The problem I have with the simplified version and your examples is that a spy would gain influence with a local Circle, but would not gain wider influence with the KoS. The some would be true for a mercenary the Knights hire for various missions. He could gain influence with one Knight or even the local Circle, but the overall KoS wouldn't care much about him.

In the rare case of a Tanis or Goldmoon, well that's different. A DM would need to treat that as a specific case.

I think what you wrote would be good for gaining influence in Circles though.