Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Mearls says we wants to bring back settings.

Default Mike Mearls says we wants to bring back settings.

Just passing this along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mearls
    I know patience is difficult, but we really are looking at ways to bring all the settings back. Even Spelljammer! #WOTCstaff
    https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...17018482712576
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

*fingers crossed*
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I figure Dragonlance would be the easiest/cheapest to bring back.

You simply push the novels out on Kindle and turn a profit.

Is there something I'm missing from that?

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    I figure Dragonlance would be the easiest/cheapest to bring back.

You simply push the novels out on Kindle and turn a profit.

Is there something I'm missing from that?
    I've never really undestood how the gears of WotC work, but Dragonlance gets the best results in every D&D fan vote in a neck to neck race with Forgotten Realms, even after years of not having published any official DL material and tons of FR stuff, videogames included. Just for that it would make sense to start with Dragonlance and keep going from there. I mean, if DL does not work at commercial level, what hopes might Spelljammer or Eberron have to do it? And I'm afraid for better or worse we are at that legitimate but unfortunate point on time where commercial interests is pivotal in taking these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by daperdepa View Post
    And I'm afraid for better or worse we are at that legitimate but unfortunate point on time where commercial interests is pivotal in taking these decisions.
    When has this NOT been the case? It's not that TSR or WotC have ever been charities of some kind. If anything, if some things were published but they backfired, it was because TSR/WotC had no idea what they were doing (good for us who like some stuff, not good for the companies who lost money.)

I am hoping for Dragonlance and Birthright mostly; I am not holding my breath, though.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by daperdepa View Post
    I've never really undestood how the gears of WotC work, but Dragonlance gets the best results in every D&D fan vote in a neck to neck race with Forgotten Realms....
    As of all the WOTC polls I saw for 5E, Dragonlance was not a top tier vote getter. I thought it was close to Greyhawk, behind Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Eberron. Been a few years, so I might be wrong about what was ahead of DL, but DL wasn't #2 by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    As of all the WOTC polls I saw for 5E, Dragonlance was not a top tier vote getter. I thought it was close to Greyhawk, behind Dark Sun, Ravenloft and Eberron. Been a few years, so I might be wrong about what was ahead of DL, but DL wasn't #2 by a long shot.
    The 2015 D&D article about the survey is here:
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/july-survey

Yeah. But I have problems with that poll, as there was no documentation on how well Dragonlance was really doing, how many votes were tallied, etc. etc. etc. If you look at earlier polls, such as the poll back in 2011, the data suggests Dragonlance is #1.
    http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...venture-Series

Meh. Really, if they wanted to open up game settings, then they could release the license to others like Cam or Margaret. Done. Collect the check. Then let MWP handle the printing fees and the profits.
    Fanwank
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Meh. Really, if they wanted to open up game settings, then they could release the license to others like Cam or Margaret. Done. Collect the check. Then let MWP handle the printing fees and the profits.
    I doubt that WOTC would ever license out their IPs again. Let alone sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
    I doubt that WOTC would ever license out their IPs again. Let alone sell them.
    Yeah. That's the crux of the problem really. I'm reminded of previous talk years ago about Dragonlance and WotC's concept of "vaulting" game worlds as if they were disney movies. I still don't get how they think vaulting will work effectively.

If they don't release licenses, other companies can't really work with the IP. If I want to make Dragonstrike II, and they won't release a license to let me make the game, then project is dead in the water. The same thing goes for licenses to authors to write more books. or making toys, or even making a movie. If they release the license, I'm pretty sure there would be instant movement.
    Fanwank

They wouldn't license the entire line out, but they definitely commission contractors for gaming supplements.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance