Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me rediscover this book

Question Please help me rediscover this book

I used to have pretty much the full collection of DL novels yet through the years i have lost many of them. Even when i did have the collection i always had a hard time finding the particular novel that contains what i am about to describe. In the scene i believe it was either Tanis or Sturm but pretty sure it was Tanis in the adventure he befriends a (?Hobgoblin) I recall there was talk of how hard it was to befriend a (hobgoblin ?) with racial tension ..so i think it was Tanis but could have been a code from knights just the same. Well at one point in the book Tanis or Sturm finds the (Hobgoblin ?) dead and hung at that point the words that was used to describe finding the hobgoblin dead and hung is kinda what i am looking for as it was very deep and they way the author mentioned how much impact that had on Sturm or Tanis pretty much altering there life forever.Does anyone know what book this is from ??? Well i know it might be a tough question to answer but there has to be a few hardcore DL fans out there that knows or are up for a challenge to figure it out . Either way thanks for your time reading this post and hope to hear a few comments
    Last edited by Burlyfish; 06-30-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Default I'll reply to your question with another question:

Are you absolutely certain this was a Dragonlance tale? The reason I ask is twofold:

1) I've read just about every DL book, some 150-160 or so, minus only the Young Adult series released towards the end, and that story doesn't ring a bell for me.

2) There is a Forgotten Realms short story called Dark Mirror, written by RA Salvatore that instantly came to mind. It's about a goblin named Nojheim that is not your typical goblin. He is intelligent, articulate, and of a generally good disposition. But, being a goblin, he is hated by humans and treated horribly. He is befriended by Drizzt, whom I'm assuming you've heard of. The story, which is probably the finest short I've read in any fantasy world, is in the book Realms of Valor.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingLegion View Post
    Are you absolutely certain this was a Dragonlance tale? The reason I ask is twofold:

1) I've read just about every DL book, some 150-160 or so, minus only the Young Adult series released towards the end, and that story doesn't ring a bell for me.

2) There is a Forgotten Realms short story called Dark Mirror, written by RA Salvatore that instantly came to mind. It's about a goblin named Nojheim that is not your typical goblin. He is intelligent, articulate, and of a generally good disposition. But, being a goblin, he is hated by humans and treated horribly. He is befriended by Drizzt, whom I'm assuming you've heard of. The story, which is probably the finest short I've read in any fantasy world, is in the book Realms of Valor.

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds very similar to the Drizzt story.
    "And me being strictly neutral I bashed everyone in sight!"

Quote Originally Posted by VikingLegion View Post

I am 100% sure it was from a dragonlance novel was either one of the preludes or maybe meetings sextet . It was kinda a side story from the main plot might have been riverwind even .I just recall whoever it was somehow joined up with a goblin/hobgoblin yet it was mentioned about the racial hate between them. Then at one point i believe the goblin/hobgoblin was captured and hung for treason maybe. But when the person finds the goblin/hobgoblin the next words that are written talks about how impacting that moment is was and shall be ..Just looking for the words

Quote Originally Posted by Burlyfish View Post
    I am 100% sure it was from a dragonlance novel was either one of the preludes or maybe meetings sextet . It was kinda a side story from the main plot might have been riverwind even .I just recall whoever it was somehow joined up with a goblin/hobgoblin yet it was mentioned about the racial hate between them. Then at one point i believe the goblin/hobgoblin was captured and hung for treason maybe. But when the person finds the goblin/hobgoblin the next words that are written talks about how impacting that moment is was and shall be ..Just looking for the words
    Yes, this is the Drizzt short story "Dark Mirror", the hanging clinches it.

Synopsis here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Realms_of_Valor (scroll down to the bottom).

I'm afraid your brain is taking fragments of memory and stitching it back together as best it can, substituting Tanis for Drizzt.

Quote Originally Posted by ferratus View Post

I'm afraid your brain is taking fragments of memory and stitching it back together as best it can, substituting Tanis for Drizzt.
    Nah been well over 20 years since i read it but i never read much of any Drizzt or dark mirror. I know 100% zero doubt it was in a dragonlance novel .That was all i was reading and collecting at that time .And it was one of the companions that befriended the goblin/hobgoblin. Kinda makes me feel less of the author after reading this but it could also be the other way around as i know R.A. Salvator used ideas from other writers also.
    Last edited by Burlyfish; 07-03-2017 at 10:27 AM.

I'm with everyone else, it sounds exactly like the Drizzt story.

Also, it was part of a collection of short stories, so you wouldn't have been specifically reading a Drizzt novel. Just a Forgotten Realms novel.

Maaaybe “Definitions of Honor” by Richard Knaak, from Tales vol. 2, Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes. It’s about a minotaur and a Solamnic knight.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    I'm with everyone else, it sounds exactly like the Drizzt story.

Also, it was part of a collection of short stories, so you wouldn't have been specifically reading a Drizzt novel. Just a Forgotten Realms novel.
    Thank you for all the feed back yet Like i said i know 100% it was not from a forgotten realms novel i never read any at all. I am 100% sure what i read was from one of the dragonlance books I can even recall pulling the book after a long search to show this part to a old friend . Well i guess i might have to pick up some of the books in hopes to find it .

I have Dark Mirror on Audible and was going to transcribe it, but crap that's a lot of words.

Do you recall how the story started? Or any details about the story besides the hanging?