Thread: [War of the Lance] Which Versoin do You Consider the Best?

Default [War of the Lance] Which Versoin do You Consider the Best?

In two or three months I'll start the War of the Lance Campaign for my group of six. Current thinking is using the original modules with Advanced Labyrinth Lord as game system.

Apart from the original DL modules, I'm aware of the DLC compilations and the later 3e books, but I don't know nothing about the Anniversary Edition from 1999. How does this version compare to my ancient stuff? Is it worth hunting it down? Is it worth investing in the PDF version?

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

Quote Originally Posted by Jan van Leyden View Post
    In two or three months I'll start the War of the Lance Campaign for my group of six. Current thinking is using the original modules with Advanced Labyrinth Lord as game system.

Apart from the original DL modules, I'm aware of the DLC compilations and the later 3e books, but I don't know nothing about the Anniversary Edition from 1999. How does this version compare to my ancient stuff? Is it worth hunting it down? Is it worth investing in the PDF version?

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden
    In my experience, the Anniversary edition is good as supplemental material; the way it's written, it's next to impossible to use as gaming material; dense text, badly organised, it reads more as a sourcebook or novel than a scenario (unless you are ready to make heavy use of pencils to annotate the book.)
    Many parts from the original modules are missing, though they add a few scenes (like, the possibility of meeting with a young Ariakan.)
    If you have the originals, go with them (also in view of the fact that you are using Advanced LL.)
    Good luck, and let us know how the campaign goes!

Cheers,
    Antonio
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    In my experience, the Anniversary edition is good as supplemental material; the way it's written, it's next to impossible to use as gaming material; dense text, badly organised, it reads more as a sourcebook or novel than a scenario (unless you are ready to make heavy use of pencils to annotate the book.)
    Many parts from the original modules are missing, though they add a few scenes (like, the possibility of meeting with a young Ariakan.)
    If you have the originals, go with them (also in view of the fact that you are using Advanced LL.)
    Okay, it's settled then. I've already started with conversion notes for ALL; next stop will be porting the characters to this ruleset. Ah, well, next week we start a probably short stint with Monster of the Week, Holiday Season is upon us - Looks like September or even October before we can start.

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

Okay, it's settled then. I've already started with conversion notes for ALL; next stop will be porting the characters to this ruleset. Ah, well, next week we start a probably short stint with Monster of the Week, Holiday Season is upon us - Looks like September or even October before we can start.

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden
    Any reason you went with Advanced LL? If you don't have AD&D but want something very close, there's OSRIC, which does a much better job at emulating it than Advanced LL.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Any reason you went with Advanced LL? If you don't have AD&D but want something very close, there's OSRIC, which does a much better job at emulating it than Advanced LL.
    At first I thought about using 2e, because it's the D&D variant I could run if you wake me in the middle of the night after having cosumed a bottle of wine the evening before; I'm so familiar with it that we would be running in five minutes. But I wanted to get my players focusing on roleplaying after spending years with 3.x e and 4e, so a D&D Version as simple as possible is needed. ALL fits this and is a trip down memory lane at the same time. My very fiorst RPG product with which I learned the ropes was the old Moldvay Basic Set.

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden

At first I thought about using 2e, because it's the D&D variant I could run if you wake me in the middle of the night after having cosumed a bottle of wine the evening before; I'm so familiar with it that we would be running in five minutes. But I wanted to get my players focusing on roleplaying after spending years with 3.x e and 4e, so a D&D Version as simple as possible is needed. ALL fits this and is a trip down memory lane at the same time. My very fiorst RPG product with which I learned the ropes was the old Moldvay Basic Set.

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden
    Yeah I understand, I ran the original DL series with 2e and it went swimmingly well (except dragons; I had to downgrade them because 2e dragons are crazy powerful.)
    I too started with the Basic set, and the last ten years it's been the D&D version I played most. Still, when talking about Advanced stuff, I don't feel like ALL does a good job; it misses some of the stuff which I consider essential for an "Advanced" game; hence it has seen very little time at our table (I could run 2e without some of the optional stuff, and it would feel "more" Advanced anyway.) These days I am also a big fan of one-book games, so OSRIC fits the bill nicely.

Good luck with your game!