Thread: Fifth Age Dramatic Adventure Game

Default Fifth Age Dramatic Adventure Game

Question about this book, is it just the source book for SAGA or is there other DL related information in the book?

I am looking to do another round of purchases from the DM's Guild and need to know if this should be on my to buy list.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_CRX View Post
    Question about this book, is it just the source book for SAGA or is there other DL related information in the book?

I am looking to do another round of purchases from the DM's Guild and need to know if this should be on my to buy list.

TIA
    It contains the baseline information for Ansalon in the Fifth Age. Before the dark times ... before the War of Souls.
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Well, the actual product back in the TSR days had a set of cards, a map of Ansalon, a book on the saga rules as well as the events of the dragon overlords and the dragon purge. I seem to recall there was also an adventure book, which was a sample adventure for the game.

I guess to answer your question, what is your goal for buying it? if you want to play in SAGA, you'll have to get the fate deck. I don't think they included it. If you want it for your electronic PDF collection, I think it's a must. I think it really showcases some really good game design as a game system. And I have no doubt 3e is a successor to some of the conventions presented in SAGA.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 06-09-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

I have a goal to run my friends through the entire Dragonlance timeline.

I have the original modules and the Key of Destiny trilogy, so I want to fill in the time in between as well, which is the SAGA modules.

I would convert them to 5E though.

And based on your recommendation, it'll stay on my buy list.

Thanks.

After the core SAGA boxed set, the Bestiary is a must-read. Brilliant setting information, reads like a true bestiary, with comments from Caramon and Bertrem.
    If you are going to actually use the SAGA rules, the Companion is a must-have; lots of clarification and expansions.
    The other boxed sets also contain setting information, and a campaign split in several modules; it should be easy to convert to 5e.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

I have zero interest in the SAGA information and I still definitely, definitely think this is a great read and has LOTS of world information. Its the best introduction to the Fifth Age. It still somewhat assumes prior knowledge of TotL, Id say, but, it still does a good job of detailing the new situation and basic world info.

Default Other material you could check!

Hi! I am a fan of the SAGA system... not that I don't like D&D.. it is just that I prefer systems based on "roles" or free-form archtypes, than classes.

I am currently running the campaign of 5th age va play-by-post, using SAGA rules. I would recommend you to give a look at the different complement material/adventures they published for DL 5th Age, in particular:

Heroes of Steel
    Heroes of Defiance
    Heroes of Hope
    Heroes of Sorcery
    Wings of Fury
    and finally ... A Saga Companion (I would buy this one before the "Heroes-of-*" series.

Some EXCELLENT materials that you don't really need, but I think are VERY well done in terms of lore and story seed, are:
    The Silvan Veil
    The Last Tower - The legacy of Raistlin Majere
    The Citadel of Light
    Palanthas

I started my campaign and I am following the "Heroes-of-*" series of adventures, but I complement with information from the other books to give more detail and flavor, and my players enjoy this a lot. I put more emphasis in the story than in the combats and the rules, which is a very easy thing to do with SAGA System. 70% of the players hadn't played any tabletop RPG before, and they love it.

So.. those were my two cents!

If you want me to tell how we play by-post... how do we manage with the cards... just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ozono27 View Post
    Hi! I am a fan of the SAGA system... not that I don't like D&D.. it is just that I prefer systems based on "roles" or free-form archtypes, than classes.

I am currently running the campaign of 5th age va play-by-post, using SAGA rules. I would recommend you to give a look at the different complement material/adventures they published for DL 5th Age, in particular:

Heroes of Steel
    Heroes of Defiance
    Heroes of Hope
    Heroes of Sorcery
    Wings of Fury
    and finally ... A Saga Companion (I would buy this one before the "Heroes-of-*" series.

Some EXCELLENT materials that you don't really need, but I think are VERY well done in terms of lore and story seed, are:
    The Silvan Veil
    The Last Tower - The legacy of Raistlin Majere
    The Citadel of Light
    Palanthas

I started my campaign and I am following the "Heroes-of-*" series of adventures, but I complement with information from the other books to give more detail and flavor, and my players enjoy this a lot. I put more emphasis in the story than in the combats and the rules, which is a very easy thing to do with SAGA System. 70% of the players hadn't played any tabletop RPG before, and they love it.

So.. those were my two cents!