Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess the D&D Movie Joe Manganiello want to help make!

If I were doing a movie of DL, I would make it a story about ordinary working class people getting caught up in a bad situation, forced to make difficult choices, finding strength in friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Darkness View Post
    If I were doing a movie of DL, I would make it a story about ordinary working class people getting caught up in a bad situation, forced to make difficult choices, finding strength in friendship.
    A new story film or series set in Dragonlance makes more sense, rather than a direct adaption of any already published novel or trilogy. Rogue One and Rebels are set in the Star Wars Universe, and they both work.

But given the "Only one story to tell" outlook at WOTC this isn't likely to happen.

Given history, the next D&D movie will fail and I'd rather it not be set in Dragonlance.
    Last edited by DaemonAngel; 04-11-2017 at 11:12 AM.

History of prior movies have no bearing on current efforts. Hasbro has come a long way in booting their movie line. Though I am not a fan, Tranformers is VERY successful, and the last G.I. Joe movie did well enough to warrant another reboot for interest.

The last D&D movie to be released to theaters was 16 years ago. It's a different mindset. A different way of making films with the success of the Marvel Franchise. I am not going to say if this gets made. I really like it's a when it gets made, I hope everyone here opens their mind and supports the effort.

And why I say when is because how WotC has placed Joe M. in all of their media. Do some digging. You can see what I mean.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    History of prior movies have no bearing on current efforts. Hasbro has come a long way in booting their movie line. Though I am not a fan, Tranformers is VERY successful, and the last G.I. Joe movie did well enough to warrant another reboot for interest.

The last D&D movie to be released to theaters was 16 years ago. It's a different mindset. A different way of making films with the success of the Marvel Franchise. I am not going to say if this gets made. I really like it's a when it gets made, I hope everyone here opens their mind and supports the effort.

And why I say when is because how WotC has placed Joe M. in all of their media. Do some digging. You can see what I mean.
    Regardless on how well any D&D film does I stand by my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
    Dragonlance had been scarped and tossed into the "Spare-parts and Nostalgia/Reference Bin"

It's not coming back. It lives only among Fans and the already published materials.

As far as WOTC is concerned, Dragonlance is Over.
    I'll only add, that as long we Lancers introduce others to DL ourselves, hopefully maintaining the fandom, it will live on in some way.
    Last edited by DaemonAngel; 04-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.

You can be as close-minded as you want, but if a movie is made, it would be crazy to think there would be no following merchandise in the form of games, toys and....books.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Dragonlance had been scarped and tossed into the "Spare-parts and Nostalgia/Reference Bin"

It's not coming back. It lives only among Fans and the already published materials.

As far as WOTC is concerned, Dragonlance is Over.
    I completely disagree. If it was, then why all the focus on it in the 5e products? It gets mentioned from time to time in their posts too.

We have seen so-called "dead" properties come back before, most notably with 4e. Dark Sun came back with a killer reboot, and Gamma World was all sorts of fun.

A new story film or series set in Dragonlance makes more sense, rather than a direct adaption of any already published novel or trilogy. Rogue One and Rebels are set in the Star Wars Universe, and they both work.

But given the "Only one story to tell" outlook at WOTC this isn't likely to happen.

Given history, the next D&D movie will fail and I'd rather it not be set in Dragonlance.
    I'd say go with the familiar story, as you're going to get your existing fan base in as well as new fans. Then we could transition to spin-offs from there.

I get where you're coming from. The past makes me a bit cautious too. However, this is good supportive evidence of something in the works. So I'm trying to be very supportive. The key is that we want Dragonlance to live.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Also, how could would it be for a Legend of Huma "prequel" film?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    Also, how could would it be for a Legend of Huma "prequel" film?
    I think that would actually be the best option for the first DL movie. The main thing a Dragonlance movie needs, so it isn't dismissed as a Lord of the Rings knock-off, is some sort of unique hook that will get people's attention. Air-jousting between dragons might be that hook as it is something that would be visually exciting in movies and is something Dragonlance has that Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Narnia, Harry Potter, Twilight, King Arthur and all the other fantasy movie franchises really don't have. Unfortunately Chronicles doesn't really have any air jousting until Dragons of Spring Dawning, which is much too late to work as the hook for the series. By contrast the Legend of Huma is packed with aerial dragon duels (including one right at the start of the novel), so it is the much better movie for playing up the air jousting.

Also since the series is called Dragonlance it is a big plus that the Dragonlances actually appear in the Legend of Huma and are the most important magical item in the book whereas in the Chronicles they don't even show up until the second novel (and even then they come off as kind of second rate compared to the dragon orbs.)

Unfortunately, it's a script for Chronicles vol. 1, but if wishes were horses...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

I would be very shocked if this got anywhere but the initial stages of development. I don't think it could be successful, even with big names attached to it.

Perhaps as a crowd funded project?

Who knows.