Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess the D&D Movie Joe Manganiello want to help make!

Default Guess the D&D Movie Joe Manganiello wants to help make?

Check out this article for his script

http://collider.com/joe-manganiello-...ragons-script/

It's also on his twitter

Can only hope it comes true
    Last edited by Justinian; 04-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Where I get my Dragonlance online fix

http://mud.arctic.org

Where the dragonlance adventure NEVER ends!

Unfortunately, they made an animated feature with the same title that flopped...so...not likely.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall View Post
    Unfortunately, they made an animated feature with the same title that flopped...so...not likely.
    Indeed. And they made an animated version of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings that were animated, which semi-flopped. it took about 30 years for Peter Jackson's?
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

If that's the model that follows, we've got a long wait.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Live action movies and horribly animated movies from nine years ago aren't up for comparison. As I mentioned on social media, Joe M. has been featured on the D&d podcast and also their recorded games. He also has featured D&D sessions at his home which his wife Sofia Veraga has pinned on Instagram. I highly doubt this movie pitch was happenstance.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Live action movies and horribly animated movies from nine years ago aren't up for comparison. As I mentioned on social media, Joe M. has been featured on the D&d podcast and also their recorded games. He also has featured D&D sessions at his home which his wife Sofia Veraga has pinned on Instagram. I highly doubt this movie pitch was happenstance.
    If I didn't make myself clear, I'm actually looking forward to a movie. And I think the time it takes between an animated movie to a live-action does play a part in all this. Just to be clear, I did like the animated movie. I still do and I stand by that opinion. And i think the film industry works in such a way that an animated movie that's allowed to age, enter nostalgia, and leaves an audience wanting a live-action film or show to be part of the process. I do admit that if the animated movie is widely disliked, it does shorten the time between cartoon and live action.

I am curious if all the dragonlance books after chronicles will become "legends" like Star wars. or alternate timelines like star trek. Dragonlance has the built in potential of doing either or both.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 04-09-2017 at 04:00 AM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Dragonlance had been scarped and tossed into the "Spare-parts and Nostalgia/Reference Bin"

It's not coming back. It lives only among Fans and the already published materials.

As far as WOTC is concerned, Dragonlance is Over.

If a movie was made, game books would follow.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

If it happens, and it's decent, it might restart the franchise.

But I'm skeptical. Honestly, I don't think Dragons of Autumn Twilight makes for a good movie. What really makes that book good, in my opinion, is the characters and their relationships. And that's not something a 2 or even 3 hour movie has time to develop (especially since there are so many characters). The same thing happened with the animated film. There isn't time to delve into the nuisance of Raistlin's and Caramon's brotherhood, or Flint's and Tanis' friendship or how Raistlin mocks and derides Sturm but actually respects him or Laurana's massive development. A movie only really has time to hit the plot highlights (escape from Solace, Darkenwood Forest, unicorns and pegasi, delving into Xak Tsaroth, fighting a dragon, return of the gods, setup for the sequel).

Cut out all of the character development and relationships and what's left doesn't seem all that appealing to the box office crowds. To someone who is unfamiliar with the books, the basic story would just look like a knockoff of Lord of the Rings (with a staff instead of a ring). But then again, maybe that would be enough to fill seats. *shrugs*
    Formerly Daos Soulstaff

But the Lord of the Rings movies had the exact same dilemma; and though, for serious fans of the books, the movies failed to capture 90% of the relationships from the books, as movies they fared reasonably well by staying zoomed in on a small handful. Movies aren’t meant to replace books, anyway; they’re a different art form with different strengths.