Thread: Can You Ever Go Back Again?

Default Can You Ever Go Back Again?

A few years back, I ran a play-by-post campaign that had a great start, but fizzled out. It was the Magocracy alternate timeline, and I was using the then-current 4e rules.

I had a great start to this campaign, having good story and characters. However, one of the players switched characters, and eventually left the game. An NPC left due to all this, and one of my players had a character that went through a transformation (per his request). I think some mistakes were made around that time in terms of characters (and I won't bore you with details), but when all was said and done, the characters were different and I had lost momentum and story ideas. So we called it a day.

To this day, I have felt bad about the way the game ended. I would love to go back and put a reset in at some point, plus switching to the 5e rules (which I like MUCH better).

So my question to you guys...Can you ever go back to an old campaign, especially if you feel that it "failed"? If so, what are some steps I could take to ensure better success this time around?
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

The answer is yes. My current gaming group stopped halfway through Spectre of Sorrows and then someone else took over the campaign. I moved to Washington DC and the game failed. I came back two years later and we decided to upgrade to Pathfinder. I used a soft reboot, allowing half the group to play new characters and added time travel to explain a few things of why it was different. The group actually had to replay a chapter, but I switched it up enough that it was new.

So yes. Go back. Do your thing with some changes. Make it interesting enough for your players and for you. If you are regurgitating old plot lines that will bore you, why even restart?

...now...get crack-a-lackin'!
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    So my question to you guys...Can you ever go back to an old campaign, especially if you feel that it "failed"? If so, what are some steps I could take to ensure better success this time around?
    Well, yeah. Easily. everytime I tried to solver a DL inconsistency, that's a "failed" vision that needs tweeks to fit the rest of the DL universe. A prime example is Illys Brightblade, in the short stores. By itself a perfectly legit version of Dragonlance. when we share it with Margarets vision of Anna Brightblade in Soulforge, the shared version get's conflicted over the name of Sturm's Mom. However, when we reinvent dragonlance, where Illys "Anna" Brightblade exists, we have a new vision.

Personally, sometimes you have to let players go. It's like what J. Michael Straczynski said about his Babylon 5 series. Between actors and script writers, and producers, sometime he had to let go of characters and bring in new ones. I wouldn't transform players unless is a part of a huge story arc specifically about that character. but I would do the Darksun Athas rule of many backup characters.

I might suggest episodic adventures, especially since we're in an age where freetime is a scarcer commodity. When scouts, hobbies, school, Kid's schools, kid's programs, honey wants to go to Europe to catch that damn Mr. Mime on Pokemon go. sometimes it's better to lay in quick victories.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Sure - our group has done it, too. It can be done - don't be afraid to allow your players to retcon a few things to help them get into it!
    Seriously; what's the point of being a minotaur if you're not going to skewer something, anything, on those beautiful horns....

Absolutely! I have gone back to an old campaign and re-booted it.

Usually it is with new characters, but there have been two occasions that we dusted off the old characters and dove back into the campaign!

I wish you luck!

I've run the Age of Mortals campaign a few times now (never to completion, sadly). Some things I'd do differently:
    -Read all three adventures cover to cover before beginning again
    -Require players use characters fit to the adventure (in the case of AoM, this means a fighter, a cleric, a rogue, and a wizard, at least one of them an elf).
    -Make goals clear as crystal, even if that's contrary to the text of the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    I've run the Age of Mortals campaign a few times now (never to completion, sadly). Some things I'd do differently:
    -Read all three adventures cover to cover before beginning again
    -Require players use characters fit to the adventure (in the case of AoM, this means a fighter, a cleric, a rogue, and a wizard, at least one of them an elf).
    -Make goals clear as crystal, even if that's contrary to the text of the adventure.
    I always liked the idea that the player characters be members of the Legion of Steel. Though it would help to have a WoHS, a Knight of Solamnia, etc.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

I've never really thought of the Los as a knighthood per se, even though they're considered a "knightly order" and even included in the knightly orders book. They seem to be more of a militia group, or like the Maquis in Star Trek. Even though they're nominally good-wish they aren't strictly structured with codes and laws like the Knights of Solamnia or Neraka. Would there be a conflict if a character was a knight and also in the legion?
    Chris Pierson ended the Taladas trilogy and, gasp!, left the continent still there for the most part. Well, except for the rainbow isles. and the panak. and the cha'asi. and the boli gnomes. and kristophan. Ok, so he nuked most of it. Hey, it's Pierson. Deal with it. -Talinthas