Thread: A Little Help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Little Help?

I was hoping to use these forums as a soundboard for some ideas on fleshing out my own DL campaign. A brainstorming session as it were. Would this be allowed? If so I'll post some information on my campaign and where I'd like it to go.

Well that's what the Game forums are for. Go for it.

Posting campaign questions is encouraged.

I think I had a 5 page thread of questions for.my campaign.

Excellent! Well right now I am DM'ing a 5th edition and a 3.5 edition going through the same campaign. I've modified several different modules to tell my story, including Key of Destiny which they are currently going through. I've set it during the early years of the WotL (350 AC currently). It gets a little complicated from there. My main campaign thrust is exposing/stopping a Nzunta plot to retrieve the Heart of the Irda and use it to bolster the Nzunta ranks, making them a true threat to the rest of the races (in my campaign the Heart of the Irda has the capability of changing a fallen ogre into a high ogre). They have got a ring that is leading them towards finding different items that will in time lead them to the Heart. The ring first led them to find the Key of Quinari and once that was found it is now directing them to the Fallen Temple in KoD where once they retrieve the Shard of Light it will lead them to another place where they will finally find the Heart of the Irda. What I am having some trouble with is coming up with ideas for some ways to make it so the players aren't being led around by the nose so much by the ring (or at least make it not seem so) and also some ideas on how to illustrate that the Nzunta are already infiltrating the other races in positions of power such as the mayor of a city or the head of a thieves guild without derailing the main campaign goal of getting the Heart. Also, while I want the party to be successful in stopping the Nzunta from being completely successful in their goals, I do want them to be successful enough that I can make them an ongoing threat in my campaign world. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just going to reiterate here, because I think the UA mystic thread may have derailed this one.

* Ideas for keeping the adventure from seeming too railroaded.
    * Ideas for how to show that the Nzunta are infiltrating positions of power amongst the other races.
    * Ideas on how to finish the campaign with the party successfully stopping the Nzunta end game, but still allowing the Nzunta to be successful enough to become a serious threat in the world.

Thanks again.

It did seem to do that, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaithan Kanathar View Post
    I'm just going to reiterate here, because I think the UA mystic thread may have derailed this one.

Well, can't help with the railroading. I might recommend splitting your campaign to be episodic in nature, like I did with my DL game. Basically mini-adventures that tie into a much larger story arc.

Or be ready to level-up or level-down opponents. if you have story arc A, B, and C, the players can decide which arc to pursue, for example, B, A, C. But in this case, you do B1, A2, C3, where the number represents the beefing up the episode's challenge rating.

* Ideas for how to show that the Nzunta are infiltrating positions of power amongst the other races.
    Well, you said this was going to be during the War of the Lance. Are you talking about the years between WotL and the Chaos war?

I'd imagine any group. I did the same thing with Sivaks and Auraks before DoSF was a novel. They were infiltrating all levels, both the escape the Dragonarmy, and to further Takhisis's schemes.
    Members of the conclave are switched out by infiltrators who are now declaring threats as renegades.
    Qualinesti's royal family or Silvanesti senate members are acting peculiar.

* Ideas on how to finish the campaign with the party successfully stopping the Nzunta end game, but still allowing the Nzunta to be successful enough to become a serious threat in the world.
    Thanks again.
    I think stopping the Nzunta while keeping the idea of Nzunta a threat usually means 1) most of them get away to fight another day, or 2) the beaten Nzunta all follow a hidden leader/army who the PCs haven't even met.

I did that with my flying Citadel adventures by alluding that the knights of Takhisis were were slowly building their own citadel fleet in unknown territory. I laid clues, everywhere that there was a looming threat, machinations in the background. PCs finding giant holes as if something ripped up entire chucks of islands where nice clues. I never had a chance to finish the campaign, tho. It would have been "Battle of Endor" epic is scope.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 03-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

This is a general DMing question, really. The most success that I've had is to create a large world where the characters are aware of things that are happening outside of the main storyline. Those separate side stories might come into play at times as characters make different decisions, but ultimately the group has to decide on whether or not to stick to the main quest. In essence, the group's decision to go on a quest is a narrative element, not a meta-game element. For example, if the group is charged by a Knight of Solamnia to find evidence of and to potentially destroy the rumored existence of a temple of Sargonnas in the city of Sanction (my current campaign), then the party becomes beholden to that knight for accepting the quest. If they begin to get sidetracked with other explorations that don't have much to do with the main quest, the knight shows up at some point and asks for a report on their progress. The group's reputation is affected by this, and as such I modify the renown rules in the DMG to include party renown points. This is particularly important when the party reaches that third tier of play--11th level. The group is so powerful by then that they've become their own influential faction, and thus the need to track party renown.

Ultimately, ask yourself why the group is trying to find the Heart of the Irda. Is it because you said so? That's a meta-game reason. Is it because of an aspect of the story that the party has bought into? That's a narrative reason.
    Last edited by Tiwaz; 03-16-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling