Thread: What would you do with metallic dragon eggs ?

Default What would you do with chromatic (not metallic) dragon eggs ?

Hello fellow adventurers,

Say you play a good PC who comes accross a set of metallic chromatic dragon eggs after slaying its evil parents.

Instead of destroying the eggs, I would be interested to give birth to noble draconians instead. How should I do that ?

In this situation, what would you do with the eggs ?
    Last edited by HurinTheCursed; 02-23-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: confused metallic and chromatic words

Quote Originally Posted by HurinTheCursed View Post
    Hello fellow adventurers,

Say you play a good PC who comes accross a set of metallic dragon eggs after slaying its evil parents.

Instead of destroying the eggs, I would be interested to give birth to noble draconians instead. How should I do that ?

In this situation, what would you do with the eggs ?
    Well, let's assume that these metallic dragons are indeed evil (rather than traditionally good), and you are aware of the generalization, why destroy the eggs? I have to ask why you believe the eggs will turn into evil metallic dragons? Is evilness a genetic trait passed down from parent to child? The metallic baby dragons might turn out good if given a chance.

Secondly, as you are attempting to "corrupt" a dragon egg into a draconian egg. Noble draconians are usually born from evil chromatic dragons. So, it might work. For that, I suggest you either get the 3e Dragonlance book, War of the Lance, where they talk about corruption spells for the draconians. In addition, (and in my own bias viewpoint) you could then get the sourcook Dragons of Krynn, which will help you deal with these draconians.

As for what I would do with the eggs? Well I'd corrupt them. Krynn needs more draconians.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Hurin did you mean chromatic dragons? Noble Draconians are born of chromatic eggs

Anyway, just finding the ritual could be the objective of a campaign. With plenty of reasons to involve third parties who would NOT want the ritual used.
    Last edited by Turambar; 02-22-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

I would also assume the process to corrupt eggs would be considered evil. So if you have good characters, they have a significant moral issue conducting an evil ritual.

They would probably feel better by just smashing the egg.

If it is a metallic egg though, I think they would help to hatch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen View Post
    Well, let's assume that these metallic dragons are indeed evil (rather than traditionally good), and you are aware of the generalization, why destroy the eggs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Hurin did you mean chromatic dragons? Noble Draconians are born of chromatic eggs
    Sorry I meant chromatic not metallic, that's why I shouldn't post past 2am. I will edit to make things clear, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Anyway, just finding the ritual could be the objective of a campaign. With plenty of reasons to involve third parties who would NOT want the ritual used.
    The group has plenty to do with its most important main quest so far. If this happened, it would not be more than a side quest or the campaign epilogue. Most importantly, at our level we have allies who could possiby help us for something important. A previous member of the group is now the general in Floatsam, access to the wealth of the knoledge of its library could help. Especially at the end of the campaign, giving birth to female noble draconians would not be impossible if we were to find chromatic eggs.

What would be the reaction of Teyr regarding such questions ?

According to you, how would metallic dragons react if we asked for help to make noble draconians out of chromatic eggs ?

We do have an interesting possibility with the fountain of renewal, its black dragon guardian turned metallic after he agreed to immerge within to heal from a deadly disease. What would happen if eggs were carefully brought there and bathed ? I like noble draconians but good baby dragons would be a better perspective to the world, we could even befriend a good adult dragon to raise them as his/her own.

I will look through the books you suggested to see what I can find.
    Last edited by HurinTheCursed; 02-22-2017 at 06:25 PM.

The group has plenty to do with its most important main quest so far. If this happened, it would not be more than a side quest or the campaign epilogue. Most importantly, at our level we have allies who could possiby help us for something important. A previous member of the group is now the general in Floatsam, access to the wealth of the knoledge of its library could help. Especially at the end of the campaign, giving birth to female noble draconians would not be impossible if we were to find chromatic eggs.

What would be the reaction of Teyr regarding such questions ?
    Good question. Teyr, in my opinion, has become more neutral that the draconians of war of the lance. I think it's because Kang's Regiment have had encounters where they begin to understand preservation of oneself or race often requires preservation of others. So, I assume by extension that they would work to preserve others. It isn't exactly altruistic, but it's following down a path similar to "Good redeems its own". However, my version of Teyr can be very different than yours. I wanted players who read Dragons of Krynn to find their own version. So for you Teyr can be very much an occupying evil force that has conquered the local area. It has a peace with the local town of Robann, who know that at any moment the Draconians may try to whipe out all non-draconians to form a more secure draconian nation. In fact, I wrong in a nemesis to Kang, to has a twisted sense of democracy. He wants draconians to have more say in the government, but that also means the draconians can turn militant. It was my vision that the draconians of Teyr don't really know much about the noble draconians who are hiding in the shadows. the noble draconians are supporting Teyr as long as the nation is cooperative with it's neighbors. The moment teyr turns belligerent (i.e. if someone were to oust Kang in a coup d'état) The noble dracos would work to undermind and destroy Teyr.

So it's really up to you. Is Teyr evil? if so, they might want more draconians to bolster their numbers. On the other hand, good noble draconians might be a threat to the government, and they might object. In your Teyr, as the nobles and the base draconians in alliance?

[QUOTE=HurinTheCursed;561302]According to you, how would metallic dragons react if we asked for help to make noble draconians out of chromatic eggs ?[\quote]

I think it's controversial enough that it varies from dragon to dragon.
    A metallic dragon that lost eggs in the War might want revenge, and "perverting" chromatic eggs is "eye for an eye."
    Alternatively, a metallic who understand that those eggs might grow up to be evil dragons, and might want then converted to good. or destroyed.
    Alternatively, a metallic might want to redeem a chromatic dragon, rather than pervert it with a corruption ritual. In this case, the dragon, having felt the pain of such loss, wouldn't visit that on any dragon, even chromatic dragons.

Personally, would ask how you feel about morality. Is evil naturally born, or is evil nurtured? I refer you to the novel "Legacy of Steel" by Mary Herbert. In there, Sara Dustan befriends a blue dragon, Cobalt. Basically Cobalt should be an evil dragon, but i feel that through Sara's understanding of dragons and their behavior, she really brought out the good qualities of her dragon. In theory, a bunch of good people can raise chromatic dragons to be good. In some Dragonlance novels and gamebooks we have chromatic dragons who have rejected evil gods.

We do have an interesting possibility with the fountain of renewal, its black dragon guardian turned metallic after he agreed to immerge within to heal from a deadly disease. What would happen if eggs were carefully brought there and bathed? I like noble draconians but good baby dragons would be a better perspective to the world, we could even befriend a good adult dragon to raise them as his/her own.

I will look through the books you suggested to see what I can find.
    Well, we're talking about Price of Courage. Cam Banks wrote it, he can provide insight of what he thinks about the Fountain of Renewal. Personally, for my 5e D&D games, I use the fountain as my basis for the Dragonborn PC race. Draconians seeking redemption and "cure" from their corruption come out as dragonborn.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...