Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

Even the Page's dour countenance softened at the joke. "The Inheritor always watches me." He said with a smile. "If not, I would have fallen off the path a long time ago... Or at least would have strayed much further. Thank you for your aid."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

“Anytime, Page. Well, I don’t believe that there is anything else to discover here, what do the rest of you say to heading back? Anything you’d like to do before vacating the premises?” As he was addressing the rest of the group, Dalvin was suddenly struck by a thought and turned his attention back to the heavenly bird.

“Esh, you said this was your last home and that the city is no longer safe for you. Do you plan on leaving the city entirely? And, if so, can we assist you? If you don’t plan on leaving, would you accept an offer of shelter in our headquarters?”

He looked at the burned out, collapsed building and then back to the celestial being. “You surely cannot remain here, whatever you decide. And one last thing: if we do manage to find Shensen, is there some way to let you know that we were successful?”
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

The bird inclined its head. "Thank you, Ravens. I leave Kintargo in your hands." The creature glowed brighter as it prepared to take flight. It turned its head to Dalvin. "Yes, I'm afraid I must leave completely. I treasure this city dearly, but I cannot help it anymore. That is up you and your compatriots. I thank you for your kindness, Dalvin Castellatus. You do your Goddess a great honor as her servant. But I require nothing. And, fear not, if you manage to find Shensen I shall know. I pray that I may return some day when the time is right."

"For good or ill, know that the eyes of the gods are upon you. I will pray for your good fortune." In one great leap it took off into the air, flying directly towards the shining sound. It glowed so brightly that it was soon gone, lost in the golden brilliance. The three founders of the Silver Ravens were left standing in the alley with a metal box and more questions than they had before they started.

Still, there was nothing to do but soldier on. They carried the metal coffer and walked back to the Longroads Coffee House, already tired from the oddly strenuous morning. Once back in their secret hideout, Jaem easily slipped a pick into the lock and opened the box. Surprisingly the inside was filled with scrolls and potions, the only objects to survive the fire thanks to the fire resistant outer case. There were clerical scrolls of all kinds as well as multiple healing potions. It was a good haul and sorely needed for the growing rebellion, but it brought no more answers with it.

Everyone relaxed the rest of the day. The Wasp's Nest was becoming busier and busier as the Rebellion grew. The Tengu sisters, Jaem's tiefling companions, and the new recruits from the Salt Works were are coming and going at all hours. Luckily, the Coffeehouse made the perfect cover. The next day as Jaem, the Page, and Dalvin sat around a table eating breakfast Forvian burst out of the trap door that led upstairs.

"Guards!" he hissed. "Upstairs. Laria's doing her best, but they seem to know something's going on here!" He looked at the three of them. "What do we do?"

OOC:
    You have successfully investigated the fires. I'm assuming nobody cares if I move us back to the Wasp's Nest? In the interest of time, I'll also assume Voltarus at some point identifies the contents of the metal coffer:

scroll of cure moderate wounds, a scroll of daylight, a scroll of remove blindness/deafness, and a scroll of remove disease. The potions include three potions of lesser restoration and four potions of cure light wounds.

We're on the next day, but not the next rebellion cycle. You guys are up!
    Last edited by jake; 01-03-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Dalvin’s face darkened as he set down his bread with a sigh. “Does anyone deliver good news in this city anymore? Well, we need a plan. Where are those amulets the guards from the salt works were wearing? They might be of some use here.” His heavy armor clanked gently as he stood up from the table and looked at his two compatriots.

“Time is of the essence, unless either of you object we should grab those necklaces and see what we can do for Laria upstairs.”
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

Jaem didn’t object, fishing the medals from their place at his belt. “Here,” He said, slipping one of his head, and proferring the other two. “Let’s get up there.”
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

The trio donned their medallions and made their way up the ladder into the storage room and then up again into the back of the coffeehouse. They walked nonchalantly out from the back hall and into the main room. Laria was holding the guards at the door, shouting up a storm as one of them held a piece of paper up to her face. The lead guard was a tall man with close cut dark hair and scar marks in the shape of a claw running down the left side of his face.

"As you can see ma'am," the lead guard with the paper was saying, "we've received notice of 'suspicious activity and unsavory practices' occurring at this establishment. We're going to need to look around. And no," he said forcefully, "that's the only warrant we need. Now will you step please aside?"

Laria raised a pointed finger and looked about to scream back at the man but just then she caught sight of the three of them. Beneath her bluster the three of them could see a hint of nervousness in her eyes. "Will you explain to these men that they have no right rooting around in my establishment, tarnishing my good name, and disrupting my customers?" She asked them as they approached. "Maybe he'll listen to one of you better than me."

"Who are you," the guard asked, keen blue eyes taking them in. "Members of the militia?"

Characters:

Jaem strolled toward the blistering guardsmen, toying with the medallion around his neck idly as if to accent his reply. He stared them down, allowing the weight of his appearance, the red tinge to his skin, short curving horns, and inhuman eyes to do some of the talking for him.

“Yeah. We serve the great House.” He said, coldly. “The only ‘unsavory practices’ that happen here are what we get up to in the back. This place treats us good, and maybe the locals don’t like that.”

OOC: Bluff Check 1d20(5)+11=16. I’m going to spend my Hero Point to modify my roll after the fact and make the final result a 20. Hopefully this dude isn’t trained in Sense Motive.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

"I would think it might be the locals as well. But we keep them in their place." The Page growled in hopes of bolstering the story. He then thought on the series of events of the cave in and now this, "Do you know who reported this? I would like to pay them a visit."

ooc: aid the bluff check 1d20(17)+4=21
    Do you need me to roll something for the question? Perception or sense motive?
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

The lead guard nodded. His eyes focused on Jaem for a moment, clearly suspicious of the Tiefling. It wasn't unheard of to have tieflings that supported House Thrune, however, so he quickly accepted it and dropped his iron stare.

"Must have been someone playing a prank then," he shrugged. "The letter was delivered by courier, no idea who sent it." He handed it over to the Page. Prydewyld looked down at a short letter in a messy scrawl:

"There is suspicious activity and unsavory practices occurring at the Long Roads Coffeehouse in the Villegre. It is a danger to House Thrune. Investigate it."

The guard took one last long glance around the building. "Just keep an eye out," he said finally. "I'm sure it's nothing, but you can't be too careful these days." He nodded and motioned to the two behind him. The three exited the shop, the small bell tinkling their departure.

Laria breathed out a long sigh of relief and grabbed a mug from a passing server. She took a tipped the cup back, only putting it down once it was empty. "That was bloody close," she whispered to them. "Who in the Nine Hell's wrote that?" she asked, looking at the letter in the Page's hands.

OOC:
    I'll give you a +2 bonus from the Thrune pendants for a total of 24 Bluff.

Guards sense motives: 10, 7, and 5. All three believe you.

Excellent job, guys! In the planner, please pick out your actions for the next Rebellion phase! Feel free to RP here as well while we figure those out.

Characters:

“I don’t know.” Said Jaem, craning his neck to read the slip over the Page’s shoulder. “We’re going to find out, though. You’ve our word on that.” He promised her.