Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 391

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #351
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    The lead guard held one hand out. "What's that then? Hand it here."
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  2. #352
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    "I can perfectly manage myself, thank you." The Page played off the guard's demand as an offer to help him out of the rubble but with a slight rumble in his voice to indicate that he was done talking. "Now, no harm done. I will be on my way."

    ooc: I assume we are still working on the intimidate roll?
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  3. #353
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    94

    Default

    As Dalvin watched his friend clamber out of the ruined music hall he leaned toward the guards. He hoped that the Page’s brusque tone would dissuade the guards from insisting they see whatever it was that was found in the rubble, but just in case, he thought he should attempt to sway the guards himself. Dalvin, still leaning forward, whispered to the three gathered guards. “I don’t think there’s really any need for that, officers. This man has already said that he intends to deliver it somewhere. I would certainly not want a delivery of mine rifled through and potentially damaged just because the courier happened to walk somewhere he shouldn’t. I imagine everyone else feels the same way. I know that these are difficult times, but surely we can agree that, as Kintargoans, we haven’t grown so suspicious and fearful that we need to sniff through someone’s mail.”

    Here Dalvin decided to shift the subject slightly, hoping to call on any sense of duty they might posses. “I understand that there’s an oath you must swear upon joining the Dottari. Do you really think that rummaging through the packages of a fellow citizen is the best way to uphold that oath?”
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    The lead guard looked Dalvin up and down."I'm not from this crap city," he said brusquely. "Lots of us have been brought in from all over Cheliax because you ingrates can't be trusted to keep the peace yourselves. Now stay out of this if you know what's good for you." He turned his attention back to the Page. "Now you, tough guy, hand over the box now or we arrest you and cart your sorry ass off to the Holding Cells." He drew his heavy mace and the other two guards followed suit.

    The tension hung heavy in the air between the men for a moment. The guards watched The Page and Dalvin closely, alert for signs of danger. In the split second before anyone could react, there was a loud fluttering of wings above all of their heads. A massive bird had flown out of the glare of the sun and landed on a pile of rubble. It looked like a dove except for the fact that it was the size of an eagle and it's feathers seemed to lit by their own inner flame. It glowed like a small, tiny sun.

    "What the-?!" one of the guards said, but he was quickly cut off by a voice that projected into all of their heads, even Jaem's as he hid nearby among the rubble.

    "Peace," it said. "You have done well. You deserve a break. Go to the bar and relax after a job well done."

    Each of the guards eyes seemed to unfocus and glaze over. Their arms went to their sides, maces held slackly almost to the ground. "Hey," the lead guard said, "We deserve a break. Come on boys, let's go to the bar and relax after a job well done." As a group they each turned and walked down the street the way they had come. They didn't look back or give any signs that they realized anything strange had happened.

    The bird spread its wings for a moment and glowed happily. "Greetings, Ravens," it said into their minds. "Please forgive my intervention in your affairs. I'm sure you could have easily handled the guards, but enough blood has been shed here for now. And besides, it would have attracted enough attention to ruin our conversation." It cocked its head at the two of them. "Join us, Jaem Sczalerin," it said happily, looking back towards the rubble.

    OOC:
    Elder, unfortunately there are some situations where attempting to intimidate the guards can be an auto-fail and cause them to attempt an arrest. Bluff/Diplomacy may occasionally be more successful, but a 16 doesn't do it.

    Guard Will saves: 10, 14, 7. All three fail. They walk off.

    You're in the street with a big shiny bird. What do you do?
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  5. #355
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem couldn’t believe what had just happened. The giant pigeon had called off the guards and was talking to him in his head. He combed his mind in search of something stranger than this in all his time in service to the House of a Thrune, and he was coming up empty. He replaced his arrow and put up the bow, picking his way through the rubble to the street.

    OOC: Knowledge (Local) 1d20(7)+7=14.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  6. #356
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    94

    Default

    The bird seemed to be composed of pure light, shining and brilliant. Dalvin shielded his eyes as he tried to make out specific features, but could discern no more than the general shape and size of the creature. Whatever its nature, the entity was clearly interested in helping them. It had driven away the guards with nothing more than a few short sentences.

    Questions swirled around his mind in a furious torrent. Still squinting at the blinding being before him, Dalvin cleared his throat and asked, “Who, or what are you? And, perhaps just as importantly, what is it that you want from us?"

    —OOC—
    I’d like to roll a knowledge check as well to see if Dalvin can identify anything about this creature. (my guess is [planes] but if not I’m happy to re-roll or just change the bonus as appropriate) 1d20(15)+5=20
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

  7. #357
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    Jaem scrambled out from the rubble even though he had no clue what was going on. Dalvin, on the other hand, had at least the faintest idea of what they were dealing with. He had always had a deep interest in the immortal servants of the Gods, and he was sure now that he was dealing with one. If he had to guess, he thought it must be a Yhohm: a light-hearted creature of light and fire generally in service to the goddess Sarenrae. Beyond that, however, he didn't know much about the creature.

    "I am Esh," the creature said, it's eyes shining like coals at Dalvin. "And I have no wish but to speak with you, and perhaps to request a favor. This city is no longer safe for me. This place," it looks sadly into the rubble, "was my last home. But now the servants of Barzillai hunt for anything with the smell of Heaven."

    It's glow dimmed as it continued. "The Dawnflower is saddened by what happened to her children here. They lived in peace and harmony, made music and merry, and they were one of very few lights in this dark city. But things are complicated in Kintargo now. Many schemes and plots are intersecting in this city and the outcome is not at all clear., even to me On behalf of my Lady, I would make a request of you, Ravens. As I'm sure you know, this establishment was run by a half-elf named Shensen. She was as beloved of the Dawnflower as she was to the people of Kintargo. I saw her survive of the fires of that night and she left to confront Barzillai himself. I can sense that she is not dead, but neither can I sense that she is alive. I do not know where she is, or in what state. I have no leads to offer you, but can I ask that you keep a lookout for her? Help her if you are able? She would be a mighty ally against Thrune. And if something has happened to her that she is unable to pass on, I ask that you assist her. She deserves to join the halls of Sarenrae, at the very least."

    The dove made of light and fire dipped its head. "What say you?"
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  8. #358
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    The Page just watched and listened until the heavenly messenger was done. "Thank you for your help." The Page was not above offering thanks when warranted. "We will keep an eye out for your friend. But with no leads, it will probably be a while before any action can be taken."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  9. #359
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    “The favor of Sarenrae is something to be treasured.” Said Jaem. “We will do this thing for her.”
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  10. #360
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    94

    Default

    “And I will do whatever I can to help you find her as well. I’m glad to see that we’re all of like minds on this.” Dalvin said as he looked around at his companions. He then gave a small start. With Esh’s sudden appearance, Dalvin had momentarily forgotten that one of their number was gravely wounded. He hurried to the Page’s side where he pressed his hands against his wounds and felt the light of the Inheritor flow through him. “Iomedae watch over you. Here’s hoping she doesn’t watch you fall through any more buildings.” He said good-naturedly as some of the damage was repaired.

    —OOC—
    Lay on hands x3: 1d6(1)+(3)+(3)=7
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •