Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 391

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #331
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem slapped at himself, putting out flames that weren’t there. His infernal blood helped him to shrug off the affects, but it was still unsettling. The investigation of the ruin had left Jaem with more questions than answers. Where was this monastery, and what secrets did it hold? Who was the mysterious Pei?

    “There is nothing left here. We should get moving.”

    OOC: To the Red Rose!
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  2. #332
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Pain seared through Dalvin’s body as the vision of hellfire faded. Still wincing from the supernatural burns, he racked his mind for useful information from what he had seen.

    Barzillai Thrune, oppressor of Kintargo, had given a demonstration that night of the kind of brutal power he wielded. He had cast some sort of spell on Rexus’ parents, paralyzing both of them with a single word. And earlier, he had caused a thrown knife to halt before him as if it dared to approach no further. If Dalvin assumed that what he had seen was the literal truth of what happened that night, then Barzillai was far more powerful than he had given him credit for.

    Still thinking through what he had seen and trying to make sense of everything, he walked down the mercifully empty street.
    —OOC—
    To The Rose!
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    THe searing heat tore through him and the Page was mid-scream when his mind kicked in, telling his pain receptors that it was not real. And just like that, it was over. The attack was all in his mind but the lingering pain was real enough. The power they were up against was considerable. "There is nothing here but memories and ghosts. It is time to move on. But now we know the power we are up against. "
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    They each shook off the effects of what they had seen and determinedly carried on to the next location. The city was waking up and they wanted to take advantage of the quiet hours as much as possible. Eventually they came upon the Red Rose, or at least, where the Red Rose had once stood. The building had been a wooden structure built over the river in the docks district. The fire had apparently caused the building to collapse straight into the river below. They approached the burned out hole where it had been and looked around, but nothing remained.

    "Tavern's gone, duh," a young girl said from behind them. She looked to be about eight or nine and dressed in rags with dirty blonde hair. She stood up from a straw pallet mostly hidden behind a bench. "What're you lookin' at?"
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  5. #335
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem knealt before the urchin girl, as dirty as she was inquisitive. His hand went slowly to the pouch at his waist, and came up again, a pair of wide silver coins between his fingers.

    ”My new lookout.” He answered her, his voice low, and conspiratorial. “Seen any of Thrune’s people about the place?”

    OOC: Marking Two Silver pieces off of my sheet at my earliest convenience.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    The girls eyes widened in surprise but she clearly tried to hide it. "Course," she said. She looked at each of them in turn, appearing to size them up. "They was the ones who burnt it down. I was here, trying to sleep." She seemed to consider. "Could tell you, for them silver."

    She held her palm out and as Jaem plopped each silver piece into her hand she smiled. She brought the first one up and bit it, and then spit on the ground. "I always see people biting it. What's it supposed to taste like though?" She glanced around before putting the silver into a pocket and continuing.

    "Anyways here I was, sleeping. This is a prime spot I had here, you know. They were nice folk in the Rose. Always sharing old bread, even let me in when it got cold. Well, like I said this night I was sleeping. Suddenly I hear this woman's voice saying funny words. I look up to see what's going on and all of the sudden it's quiet. Not normal quiet, dead quiet. Thought maybe I'd gone deaf. Couldn't hear the wind, or the water, or the birds, or the music from the tavern. Couldn't hear nothing. I look around and I see the woman."

    The little girl shivered but continued on. "She was a mean looking woman. You see em on the streets, the kind who'd kick you for no reason. She wasn't alone neither. There were a bunch of men all in black with her and...." she stopped. She leaned closer and whispered. "And a monster, taller than two men with skin redder than yours and horns twice as big! It's what started the fire. It ran inside and the fire grew bigger and bigger. The rest stayed standing around the outside."

    She sniffled and wiped her nose on her dirty sleeve. "I spent the rest of the night under my blankets, too scared to run even. Eventually the sounds came back, and people came to help put out the fire. But the building was already burned by then and everyone was gone."

    She looked suddenly nervous. "Yer not gonna tell anyone I told you that, right?"
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  7. #337
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem locked eyes with the little girl, listening intently to what she had to say. Her story fit what they knew, as far as the inn burning down, but he knew better than anyone the lengths that street folk would go to survive. He searched her face for signs of deceit. When she’d finished her tale, he spoke again.

    “Right,” he fished into his pouch, and produced two more coins. “My friends and I are going to have a look around. If you see City Watch, or Thrune’s minions coming, you make a lot of noise and run to the Villagre. You’ll find the Long Roads Coffee House, and tell the lady of the house that Jaem sent you. You’ll be safe there. If you’re here when we are through, there’s more coin for you. What’s your name, Child?” He asked her, motioning to the others to begin their investigation.

    OOC: I doubt that I need it, but I’ll Sense Motive on the girl 1d20(13)+6=19. Two more silver pieces to hire a lookout.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  8. #338
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Dalvin looked at the two of them, urchin and tiefling, listening to the exchange between them. The girl seemed to believe that she had seen a devil of some sort (or else something trying very hard to look like one) accompanying a small cadre of cultists. Unfortunately, she didn’t seem to have any more specific information about the night in question. Jaem seemed to agree, as he waved at the two servants of Iomedae to begin their investigations. Dalvin nodded his assent and walked toward what used to be a busy, bustling building, feeling a frown crease his troubled face as he did so.

    The burned-out shell of the tavern before him was quiet and still in the early morning light. The people inside on the night of the inferno were now likely part of the ash and rubble at his feet. The unnatural ruin of Rexus’ home was still fresh in his mind and on his burned skin. Wary for another similar encounter, he steeled himself and sifted through the debris for clues about the details of that night.

    —OOC—
    Perception:..(15)-1=14
    Stealth:..(12)-5=7
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    The Page listened to the girl and his hard heart began to melt a little. "If you are ever hungry, go to the Long Roads Coffee House like he said."

    He then moved forward with Dalvin, cautious of what happened last time.

    ooc: I think it is a good idea to recruit street rats for information. Sense motive on her 1d20(17)+10=27
    perception 1d20(13)+10=23

    I realize there are two actions here but I figured it was ok since we are not in rounds.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,749

    Default

    "Name's Rhenya," she said as she confidently put a dirty hand forward to shake. "I'll watch for ya, but I don't know what you're gonna find at a hole in the ground." She scampered off towards the entrance for the docks where the guards would most likely come.

    The Page and Dalvin were already at work searching the area. The building had completely burned through into the water below with not even much debris still topside. Anything that might have remained appeared to have been cleaned up in the days since. Just as they had feared, there appeared to truly be nothing here. Still alone, they made their way back into the city proper. As they approached Rhenya she put her hand out for more coin. "Find anything?" She asked interestingly. "Probably not, I expect." She shrugged. "Maybe I'll stop by that place you mentioned. Bye!" She skipped off, clearly exuberant about her newfound wealth.

    They continued their journey on to the last building, the Silver Star. The popular music joint had clearly collapsed in on itself, but not completely. The rooms below had absorbed the piles of charred stone and ruble. Looking through it would be an arduous process. It was coming on almost 8:00 AM by now. If they wanted to get this done, they would need to act quickly.

    OOC:
    Unfortunately, nothing remains of the Red Rose. 30% of guards:(33)= lucky again.

    The rubble for the Silver Star is a little different. It'll take about an hour to search through properly. Give me another perception/stealth check if you want. Thanks!
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •