Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 394

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

  1. #321
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    The Page was about to turn away in disgust but thought better of it. "Hmmm. Well, in any event. Glad you survived. Next time dont be drunk. It tends to make one's lips loose."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  2. #322
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem investigated the Wall, pondering what it might mean. Someone had rigged it to fall. That meant that someone had hoped it would cause harm. Did they have a traitor in their midst? He needed to know what was going on if their movement was to survive. He would need information.

    He would need the talents of the Fushi Sisters.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  3. #323
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Jaem made a quick search nearby and found a hammer and chisel laying in a corner. It was clear now that some kind of sabotage had taken place, but the who and the why was still unclear. Despite keeping an open eye the rest of the night, he didn't see any other clues as to who might have done it. It was a very real reminder of the danger they were all in, even when they though they were safe.

    Meanwhile, word spread throughout the city about the trouble at the Salt Works. Rumors ran rampant, but those who knew of the price gouging being sanctioned by House Thrune were happy to hear of a little justice being done. It wasn't major, but the Silver Ravens had just made their first change in the landscape of Kintargo.

    OOC:
    The Rebellion gains 1d6 supporters from their attack on the Salt Works:(5)= 5 Supporters. You also gain 1d4 Notoriety:(3)= 3.

    Upkeep phase! Rexus reduces your Notoriety by 1 automatically.

    Supporter Attrition DC 10 Loyalty check:(19) + 6= 25. Success. You only lose 1d6 supporters:(4) supporters.

    The Rebellion levels up! You reach rank 2 of the Rebellion. All Heroes gain 1 extra skill point as a result of your training and working with the other members of the Silver Ravens.

    You can decide in the planner what actions you'd like. You now have three actions total. One of them is your bonus action that get's a +2 to any check associated with it. If you want to recruit a team, that check automatically succeeds thanks to Forvian and the other rescued prisoners. 2 votes that agree on a set of actions and I'll move us ahead! Also remember that because there was no event last week the chance of an event is doubled- 44% chance.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  4. #324
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    The next several days were busy with an excited energy. The Silver Ravens were growing and everyone knew it. Jaem took one look at their rescued prisoners and their roguish leader Forvian and decided immediately that they would make excellent sneaks. Everyone recognized that they to fight Thrune they would be operating outside of the law, and a set of stealthy operatives would be imperative in their success. Meanwhile, Laria arranged her contacts to afford some better equipment for their new Tiefling led group of sneaks. The tough men and woman of the Devil's Nursery, mostly former members of the Infernal Auxiliary, had brought along their own weapons and armor. But now they were each outfitted with military grade weapons, armor, and even a few potions, scrolls, and assorted magical items. After many hours training the group was in top form, ready to take the fight to Barzillai himself, or so they felt anyway. Finally, everyone worked to spread the word of their rebellion quietly. Even after the purge Laria had many contacts and was able to direct them to like minded individuals. Though not everyone offered to join them directly, support for their movement was growing in the city of Kintargo.

    Barzillai seemed to be keeping quiet in the aftermath of the Aria Park protest. With the Rebellion small and growing, Thrune seemed to be none the wiser about the danger growing in his city. Every member of the Silver Ravens were on edge, but no danger presented itself. For now.

    A few days later, Rexus approached the table where Dalvin, Jaem, the Page, and Voltarus sat around it. Aphra was off to one side with her broken leg resting in another chair. "Decoding those documents we recovered from the old Silver Ravens hideout is slow going, I'm afraid," he said as he sat down and took a bite of an old pastry Laria had left on the table. "So far, I've only been able to understand a little bit. They were led by a mysterious figure, an elf named 'Jackdaw'. She, at least I think it was a she, was known as a kind of Kintargoan folk hero, saving the city and protecting it's downtrodden. I wish I knew more, but that's all I have so far. There's lots more to comb through of course. I'm sure there's more in there."

    He continued, "But also, I had an idea recently. As I'm sure you all remember, three buildings were burnt to the ground on the Night of Ashes when Barzillai took control of the city. The music studio of the Silver Star, the tavern the Red Rose, and my own parents house. I assume my parents were targeted for their connection to the Sacred Order of the Archivists, so it seems likely these other places might have connections to subversive groups as well. Perhaps you could investigate them? See if anything is left behind, any clues as to allies, etc? At the very least," he paused and swallowed, "I would appreciate you seeing if anything remains of my parents household."

    OOC:
    Recruiting a team of Outlaws is an automatic success. As is upgrading your Freedom Fighters to Infiltrators for 250 GP (already removed from the Treasury). Finally, Loyalty check to recruit supporters:(11) +6 +2=19. Success! 2d6 +3 supporters:(1,3) +3= 7 total supporters. 20 gp removed from treasury.

    Event phase: 44% chance of event:(21)= Event occurs. Event:(19) + 20=39. All is calm. No even this week and next week, and +1 on secrecy checks next week. You lucky buggers.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  5. #325
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem considered Rexus’ proposal. He listened carefully to all of the details before he answered. “We’ll check everything out. If I find anything in your home, I’ll bring it in for you. We’ll prepare and leave at first light.”
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  6. #326
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    Rexus smiled and patted Jaem on the shoulder. "Thank you," he said simply. "There might be nothing left, but I appreciate you checking."

    Voltarus politely declined joining them. "I'm afraid I have to keep up appearances with my family," he said. "I haven't been there in a day or two. I'm sure they're starting to worry. I'll be back tomorrow."

    "Oh, it shouldn't be too dangerous!" Laria said with a hearty laugh. "Try not to get anyone killed, eh?!" She laid down a tray of pies for everyone as they discussed where best to search first. It was decided that the nearby Victocora estate was a good place to start. They would head there first thing in the morning while the city was still waking up. Then the Red Rose and finally the Shining Star. With any luck they could get it all done before they attracted any attention.

    Everyone spent the night going over plans, drinking, or resting as they saw fit. Jaem, Dalvin, and the Page left at first light. They walked through the quiet city streets in the morning darkness. The gate into the Green, the section of the city where the nobles lived, were thankfully open and unattended. It had only been a short 15 minute walk before they came upon the burnt remnants of the mansion. The green lawn was blackened and ash still lay upon the grass and trees that remained. The building, once a large Gothic mansion, had collapsed in upon itself in the fire. A stone foundation seemed to have survived but heaped upon it were blackened and broken timbers creating a maze of ruins.

    The group looked to their left and their right, confirming that the street was empty for now but it was not clear how long it would stay that way.

    OOC:
    You guys are at the house! If you'd like to explore it stealthily I need stealth checks from everyone and a perception check as well please.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


  7. #327
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A rock
    Posts
    95

    Default

    To call Dalvin Castellatus stealthy and observant would be to call a cow a graceful swimmer. Unfortunately for Dalvin, the situation before him demanded unobtrusive movement and careful observation.

    He took in the charred husk of the estate, trying to imagine how it might have looked before the blaze. Shaking himself out of his musings, he set to work looking for anything useful. He was intensely focused on his task and moved quickly into the ruins of the once stately home. Dalvin sifted through the ash and debris with a single-minded purpose that drowned out all but the most insistent distractions.

    It wasn't long before just such a distraction awoke Dalvin from his trance-like focus. It took him a moment to realize that the noise had been his own careless exploration of the ruined building. Though exceedingly thorough, at least by his own standards, he was so absorbed in his work that he hadn't noticed the ungodly racket he was making. Silently cursing his own ineptitude, he stood stock still and prayed to Iomedae that he hadn't yet alerted the whole street to their presence.

    —OOC—
    Perception to look through the rubble (20!)-1=19
    Stealth check while looking: …(1)-5=-4 I think that might be the worst thing I ever rolled…how marvelous. But no matter what I did, I was going to need a stealth check with it. Even if I just stood outside while you guys searched I’m pretty sure that I would've needed a stealth check to get into position.
    "In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded."
    --Terry Pratchett

  8. #328
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,570

    Default

    Jaem cursed under his breath and stole into the ruin. The subtle magic of the Elven cloak caused the drab garment to shift slightly, blending with his surroundings. He scanned his surroundings, looking for any hazards that could be potentially dangerous, or a way down.

    OOC: Jaem will enter the ruin. Stealth check 1d20(19)+17=36. Perception 1d20(15)+6=21.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  9. #329
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ulgaard
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    "Even the greatest things will turn to ash." THe Page mused to himself as he surveyed the wreckage. He was about to try and sneak when Dalvin made enough noise to wake the dead. Because of that, the Page didnt think trying to be stealthy was worth considering. The Page marched forward, however, his mind was still on matters back at the hideout.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

  10. #330
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    O-H-I-O!
    Posts
    4,751

    Default

    The three moved into the ruins of the once magnificent mansion, eyes alert for dangers both from the unstable rubble and the possible guards outside. Dalvin grunted as he pushed aside a large burned beam, revealing an entrance into a partially collapsed room. The rubble shifted dangerously but after a tense moment seemed to stabilize. As they each squeezed through into the remains of the room they each felt the temperature begin to rise. It was warm at first and then hot and then uncomfortably so. Just when they began to worry, the ruins of the building seemed to melt away like black mist. In their place was the building as it had been before the fire, complete and whole.

    Jaem looked around in shock, surprise, and worry. The room was a well appointed dining room. Candles lit the room comfortably but only for a few feet and then the world seemed to end in blackness. Even his keen eyes could not penetrate it. At one end of the table a couple seemed to be eating dinner and chatting happily. The man laughed and placed a hand on the woman's back. They had lithe, graceful builds despite their middle age and there were clear hints of Rexus in both of their features.

    Before anyone could react, the man and woman looked up at the trio. Or at least, they appeared to have looked up at the group but in actuality they were looking through them. A man had just entered the light from the other end of the room. He was incredibly short and lean and wearing sack cloth clothes. He had the features of far away Tian Xia, a completely bald head, and a white wispy beard.

    "Pei?" the woman at the table said. The words reverberated around the room as if coming through a tunnel from far away. "What are you doing here? How did you get in the house?"

    In response the man laughed. It was a laugh completely incongruous with his appearance however. It was deep, booming, and mirthless. As he laughed his skin seemed to melt and reform like wax. In a moment instead of the small man there now stood a massive one. He was tall and broad shouldered and outfitted in armor of midnight black that made him even more hulking. An unholy symbol, red pentagram of Asmodeus, rested upon his wide chest. His face was one they all had seen, either at the Aria Park protest or plastered on flyers around the city: Barzillai Thrune.

    The couple stared in shock at the transformation. The man reacted first, springing up from his chair and grabbing his dinner knife. "Go to the Monastery," he said to the woman, "You have to warn them. He knows!" He threw the knife at Thrune but the air seemed to solidify before it could reach him and the knife fell to the floor with a clatter.

    "Hold," Barzillai said, clearly working some kind of spell. The man and woman froze in place, only their eyes still able to move. "My servants are of course attacking the monastery as we speak. I shall head there next, I think. But I wanted you to know first, to truly understand how foolish you were. All your precious secrets are mine. I'm sure the Monastery has all the information I need." He looked at them both in disgust. "Now. Prince of Darkness, hear my prayer..." he began to summon fire in his hands and with a wave threw it casually around the room. It caught quickly, hungrily, and as it reached the man and the woman it seemed to envelop them far faster than was natural. They both fell to the floor screaming in agony as it consumed them.

    Jaem, Dalvin, and the Page began to feel the heat of the fire themselves. It grew stronger and stronger as the room was enveloped. Everyone could feel it singing their hair and burning their eyes. And then just as quickly as it started it disappeared. The fire was gone and in its place the ruins of the mansion had returned. Though their clothes were untouched, all three of them could feel burned and blistered skin under their armor.

    Doing their best to search the rubble for clues turned up nothing. The bodies have clearly been removed and everything else is burned beyond recognition. In an attempt to get some fresh air, the three made their way back outside. Soot stained and dirty, the street is thankfully empty of anyone who might see their suspicious activity.

    OOC:
    DC 25 perception checks all fail, Haunt activates in it's own surprise round!

    Everyone takes 3d6 fire damage, DC 14 Will save for half. 3d6:(3,1,4)= 8 fire damage, 4 on a passed save.
    Jaem:(4) + 1=5. Fails, but resist fire 5 means you take 3 total damage.
    Dalvin:(19) + 7=26.Pass. 4 fire damage
    Page:(14) + 7= 21. Pass. 4 fire damage.

    Search checks turn up nothing I'm afraid. Due to the failed stealth roll there is 30% chance of an encounter:(55)= no encounter. On to the Red Rose?
    Last edited by jake; 12-14-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    Moderator

    Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •