Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Hell's Rebels Part One: In Hell's Bright Shadow

Once he was done identifying the items, Voltarus watched the others gather and sort the items while discussing plans for the future. He realized this was just a small test but they did seem to work well together, even if he didn't contribute to the fight they all had skills that the others didn't and that could mesh well... only time would tell. He looked at the others. "Of course I'm in. The Thrune's will fall and we will be there to see it." He gave a nod to his companions, however unlikely it was that they found each other. "Rexus I too am versed in languages. Perhaps if I helped it would only take a few days to week to translate them, just a thought. I figure hiding out might get boring just sitting around." He knew his skills with the sword were nonexistent so he felt he had to contribute somewhere... besides his sword was the pen.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

Aphra nodded at Voltarus's words. It was decided then.

Rexus beamed at them all and began helping to collect the items they had discovered. There would be time later to go through them all more thoroughly and figure out where they were best needed. For now the entire group was ready to leave the dark and cold abandoned building well behind them. They moved through the sewer room, stepping gingerly over the bodies of the quickly decomposing Lemure Devils. Up a short flight of stairs and they were back into the room with the terrible little creatures that had so annoyed them but caused little real damage. One at a time they climbed the ladder back into the light of day of the abandoned slaughterhouse.

One by one they slipped back out the door onto the deserted streets, leaving quite a mess inside the building but no visible sign at all of their presence from the outside. They walked the quiet streets of the Redroof district, passing small shops and businesses on their way. It seemed Kintargo had fully recovered from the excitement of the Aria Park protest and now people were just going about their daily lives. The group made their way to Bleakbridge, the only way to cross the Yolubilis river and reach the other side of Kintargo. Passage had always been free over the bridge but now Thrune guards stood at the ready to collect the 3 cp tax for crossing. Just another one of Thrune's little indignities that made life harder on the people of Kintargo.

Rexus paid the tax for all of them with a smile and they made their way across the bridge. The wide bridge also served as Kintargo's bustling marketplace with stalls and vendors shouting and selling all kinds of wares lining its sides. "Dwarven steel! Get the finest Dwarven made steel here!" "Varisian silk!" "Charms, potions, and talismans here!" "Oysters, clams, and cockles!" The last voice caught Jaem's attention. A pretty tiefling was pushing a cart filled with ice and seafood. As their eyes locked the young woman pushed a strand of jet-black hair behind one of her horns and seemed to wink at him. Then the crowd surged around them and she was blocked from view.

Rexus led the group into the academic district called the Villagre. This area had sprung up around the Alabaster Academy which had at one time been one of the finest wizard schools in all of Cheliax. It's glory days were passed, however, and now the school was a shadow of its former self. Still prestigious in its own way, the school had shrunk in size dramatically over the intervening years. The outskirts of the district felt quiet and lifeless, especially compared to the hustle and bustle of the bridge market. As they made their way into the center of the district, however, the area suddenly came to life with bookstores, magic shops, and other things catering to the students and faculty of the Alabaster Academy. They stopped in front of a quaint white and brown building with a sign out front proclaiming it the "Long Roads Coffeehouse".

Rexus nodded at the others and pushed through the door to enter the coffeehouse. A waft of smells rushed through them as they entered the building: dark, bitter coffee, savory meats, and pungent spices. Men and women were scattered throughout the shop resting on heavily padded seats and talking over coffee or studying alone. A halfling in a pristine white apron walked around merrily refiling porcelain coffee cups. At the back of the long room there was a bar, behind which a halfling appeared to be standing on a stool. She had short cut blond hair and a face that appeared quick to smile."My friends!" she burst out as they walked through the door. She quickly pulled out several coffee mugs and began filling them with the steaming black liquid. She placed them onto a tray with several fresh from the oven meat pies and some sticky, sugary looking pastries. "How long has it been since you've given old Laria a visit, then?" she asked as the group made their way towards the bar.

"Too long, Laria," Rexus said, his tired face giving her a smile. "We've been quite busy, you know."

"I expect, I expect, handsome man like yourself," she replied with a mischievous look on her face. "Well come on back then, we need to catch up properly!" She stepped down from her stool and led them towards the back, carrying the overfilled tray with ease. They passed a busy kitchen with the whistle of working halfings filling the air and entered a door at the side of the building. Towards the back of the room was a desk and chair, both halfling sized, but the rest of the room had simple chairs built for humans. She placed the tray on the desk and motioned for them to eat and sit.

"Well," she said simply, "Who are all of you, then?" For the first time she looked wary with cautiousness and pain hidden behind her eyes.

"They're friends, Laria," Rexus said earnestly.

"I'll hear that from them, then," she replied coolly. "One night and half the people I knew and trusted in this bloody town are dead. Tell me, each of you, who are you and why should I trust you?"

Rexus looked at them all helplessly. "You can trust each other," he said. Laria just waited expectantly, looking at each of them in turn.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Jaem spoke up. "You're well met, Laria." He said. "I'm Jaem Sczalerin. My home is in he Devil's Nursery. I was pressed into the service of the House of Thrune after my mother wasted away from their abuses. I have a personal stake in wresting Kintargo from their grip. I'm resolved to reform the Silver Ravens, and I need your help." He lifted his arms, drawing the grey Elven cloak away to reveal the magical leather that he wore, embroidered with the symbols of the rebellion.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

The Page stalked quietly along as the wound their way around the city. At the approach of the guards at the bridge, his hand twitched but nothing more. The very sight of them made his blood boil. After that, he was lost in his own thoughts as they arrived at the coffeehouse.

When the tiefling was done speaking he opened his mouth, "I am Prydewyld Lockridge, servant of the Inheritor. I am a native of the city but have been away for a time." He then stopped fully satisfied with his own answer and the little halfling would have to take it or leave it, it didnt matter much to the Page.
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

Voltarus looked at Prydewyld for second hoping his curtness didn't offend their hostess. He turned to Laria and addressed her in the tongue of Halfling. "Pardon our friend for his shortness, he has defended us from devils in order to get us here so I'm sure he is tired but I trust him with my life." He said as he looked at Prydewyld and smiled. He then gave Laria a bow and continued to talk this time switching back to the common tongue. "My name is Voltarus Sarini. Yes, Sarini. I know it is most unlikely to have a noble among you let alone trusting him, but I assure you I am no friend of the Thrune's. I feel their stranglehold is destroying the city I love and they have made a mockery of my family even if my father cannot see it. We have been thrust together by fate and have fought side by side against the pit already. I understand that trust is earned and not given... I just ask that you let us prove ourselves to you as we have done with each other." Again he gave a bow and stepped back into their line as he watched Laria judge each one of them.

OOC: Diplomacy check with Laria 1d20(15)+10= 25
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

"And I'm here to kill as many of Thrune's men as I can," Aphra said with a vicious smile. She hadn't ever thought of herself as a killer before but she had learned today at the riot that that was what Kintargo needed. And if she was good at it, who was she to deny that? She had lost everything at the whims of House Thrune and she was going to finally make them pay.

Laria watched each of them in turn as they spoke, her eyes softening with each one. She lingered on the Page's speech but seemed to be satisfied with even his shortness and her eyes went wide at Voltarus's last name but his words quickly convinced her of his sincerity. "If Rexus trusts you, I know you're good people," she said finally. She began passing around the mugs of steaming coffee and plates heaped with pies and sweets. "Just couldn't be too careful these days, you see? Almost all my former contacts in this city are dead or missing as of a few nights ago. I assume Rexus already mentioned I'm with the Bellflower Network?" Rexus blushed slightly, informing that he had indeed already let that slip. She continued, "Well, I just got word yesterday that the Network is closing up shop in Kintargo until everything settles down. Too much danger here." Her jaw tightened in anger. "Every day that goes on is another poor soul enslaved. If you mean what you say about getting rid of Thrune and freeing this city, I'll do anything in my power to help."

"Thank you, Laria," Rexus said through sips of the dark, bitter coffee. He dropped a spoonful of sugar into it and swirled the spoon idly. "We investigated the place my mother's note mentioned and it was indeed a long abandoned safe-house for the Silver Ravens. Other residents had moved in since, however. It wasn't pretty." He took a sip of his coffee and nodded at the more pleasant taste. "We found a veritable treasure trove of documents that I believe detail their operations and history. I can't wait to get started on them."

He looked around at the others. "First though, I believe we need a base of operations. This is going to be dangerous work. We need somewhere safe and quiet and unknown to work from. Do you know anywhere like that?"

Laria's grin spread quickly. "Aye, I do," she said. "And you're sitting directly above it!" She spread her arms wide. "The Coffeehouse has a large basement hidden below it. I've used it as a safe-house and storehouse for smuggled goods for years. We call it the 'Wasp's Nest'. Never been found by anyone I didn't want to find it. You're welcome to it....there's just one problem." Her smile faded quickly.

She continued, "A friend of mine, Nan Comerivos, was using the basement to smuggle some Varisian textiles into the city. I let him down there days ago, and he still hasn't come back out. I've been busy up here keeping up proper appearances given the current climate. I leave food by the trap door every night and it's always gone by morning....but something feels wrong. If you could check on the old fool and see what's going on down there, the place is yours."

Characters:

"Done." Said Jaem. His lips split into a smile. Everything was falling into place. "Can you use your remaining contacts to fence goods and help fund our endeavor? It would save time, and insulate the rebel movement from notice."
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

"I like the way you think, Jaem Sczalerin," Laria said happily. "Yes indeed, I still know a few scoundrels and smugglers in this town that could help us. I'll start putting feelers out to the ones I trust once you've set up a base of operations."

She took a bite of a warm, savory pie and looked at the others. "Anything else?"

OOC:
    One more vote to check out the Wasp's Nest and I'll move us along. You can also ask Laria any questions if you have them.

Characters:

The Page took a long drink from the coffee, it was good, better than he expected. Setting it down and eyeing a pie, "We can take care of your squatter problem."
    "It's not a game of Final Fantasy where you can step outside the plot for a bit and train up your stats, it's a potentially apocalyptic final chapter in an epic drama." - Brass Tiger Captain

"Excellent," Laria said clapping her hands together happily. "Eat up, I can show you the way down whenever you're ready." She continued to make small talk with Rexus and the group while everyone ate and drank their fill. When everyone appeared finished Laria stood up and led the group out of her office and back into the main hall.

"Thank you so much for helping me get those boxes out of the cellar, friends," she said with a wink as she led them to the pantry. It was small and they all made quite a tight fit but Laria quickly moved a sack and released a trap door that revealed a stair case leading down. "The dry cellar is just down there," she said. "There's a secret door in the northwest corner. The latch to open it is about this high," he held her palm up about three feet. "I'm sure you can't miss it. If he's down there, tell Nan that Laria sent you."She handed Aphra her lantern while the Jaem led the others down the ladder into the storeroom below.

Once he was fully into the room, he could see that the ceilings were about ten feet high and the walls looked to be the same brick as the rest of the building. There were stacks of crates, bags of coffee beans, and other essentials for the business above stored down here. With Laria's warning Jaem was able to find the secret door, but even then it wasn't easy. If he hadn't of known it was there he wasn't sure he would have found it at all. With a look at the others to ensure they were ready, Jaem flipped the switch and the unadorned wall swung outward. His keen eyes saw a wide hallway that continued about fifty feet and then seemed to open up, but it was outside the range of even his keen eyes. The others, hampered by their need for light, saw barely anything before the light of their lantern was swallowed by the darkness.

Characters: